Religious ocd, vow problem, and seeking guidance

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Jesse

Re: Religious ocd, vow problem, and seeking guidance

Post by Jesse »

Questionsdharma wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:03 pm I have been in therapy for 5 years,none of it worked.
Look into Dialectical Behavioral Therapy.

https://behavioraltech.org/resources/fa ... erapy-dbt/

It is the official combination of CBT and Mindfulness that is used in the USA, and approved for treating mental disorders.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Jesse wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:32 amHaldol is an ancient anti-psychotic which has been proven to be both ineffective in treatment (other than as a chemical restraint.), and one that causes brain damage, and damage to the nervous system.
Haloperidol is only used for sedation nowadays. It is very rarely prescribed as a treatment for anything.
At the moment I am taking Cymbalta, Seroquel, Buspar, and Klonopin.
1. Cymbalta is an SNRI anti-depressant. Generally you need to be on this for over a month before any observable effect on one's mood comes into play.

2. Seroquel is an anti-psychotic. In ten days one normally sees a reduction in psychotic symptoms. We tend to use Olanzapine for our line of work (mainly PTSD with psychotic symptoms) ut Seroquel is not uncommon.

3. Buspar is an anti-axiolytic and Klonopin is a benzodiazapene. There is no reason to take both of these, as they both have a similar effect. Be careful of Klonopin. It is highly addictive and it's therapeutic value is not so high as one develops tolerance quite quickly and then just takes it to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Normally we prescribe this for 10 days maximum, in cases where a person has difficulty sleeping. Just to "reset" their sleep mechanism.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Grigoris wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:10 pm
Jesse wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:32 amHaldol is an ancient anti-psychotic which has been proven to be both ineffective in treatment (other than as a chemical restraint.), and one that causes brain damage, and damage to the nervous system.
Haloperidol is only used for sedation nowadays. It is very rarely prescribed as a treatment for anything.
At the moment I am taking Cymbalta, Seroquel, Buspar, and Klonopin.
1. Cymbalta is an SNRI anti-depressant. Generally you need to be on this for over a month before any observable effect on one's mood comes into play.

2. Seroquel is an anti-psychotic. In ten days one normally sees a reduction in psychotic symptoms. We tend to use Olanzapine for our line of work (mainly PTSD with psychotic symptoms) ut Seroquel is not uncommon.

3. Buspar is an anti-axiolytic and Klonopin is a benzodiazapene. There is no reason to take both of these, as they both have a similar effect. Be careful of Klonopin. It is highly addictive and it's therapeutic value is not so high as one develops tolerance quite quickly and then just takes it to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Normally we prescribe this for 10 days maximum, in cases where a person has difficulty sleeping. Just to "reset" their sleep mechanism.
Yea I research everything I take obsessively.

The thing about Klonopin is both true, and untrue. It will stop at least my form of OCD in its tracks(Pure OCD), but dependence IS unavoidable. The reason it's so effective for pure OCD is that the anxiety response of the obsessions and intrusive/invasive thoughts is what causes the OCD to keep going, like a horrible case of monkey mind driven by anxiety.

Your mind looks for a solution obsessively to the anxiety caused by the invasive thoughts/obsessive thoughts etc, which causes the thoughts to continue repeatedly. Each time said invasive thought happens, anxiety arises, and the mental seeking behavior continues, and causes even more anxiety, this anxiety causes the invasive thoughts to get worse, and it then loops in a vicious cycle. Klonopin kills anxiety completely, and thus stops the cycle. So it is effective, but do the benefits outweigh the negatives? No, not really.

I mean I recently realized it's a horrible solution after it was forcibly taken away from me.. Benzo Withdrawal ontop of Methadone withdrawal is not fun, especially when your in a tiny dorm surrounded by 140 people in close quarters with no place to hide ha. 'Not to mention the MH was giving me assloads of Ativan on tap, ONTOP of my Klonopin... so I was taking 2mg of Klonopin twice a day, and then 4mg of Ativan PRN every 2 Hours. Guess where I was every 2 hours? Damn right I was at the nursing station..and they sent me cold turkey from that to rehab pretty much. (they reduced it to every 8 hours for 2 days before they sent me, lololololol.)

But the reason benzos are a bad solution is precisely why they are so effective, they eliminate anxiety so completely and utterly that you no longer are forced to cope with it, and thus over time you completely lose all mental coping mechanisms for dealing with anxiety without it. So if you are on it long enough, ontop of the withdrawal, you now have to experience intense anxiety, and panic, with absolutely no way to really deal with it. You have to rebuild your coping mechanisms while going through hell essentially, anxiety that'd send most people to their graves early.

So I got off it completely, then went right back to it. :shrug:

https://www.intrusivethoughts.org/ocd-s ... /pure-ocd/
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”