Tibetan Medicine and Tinnitus

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
florin

Tibetan Medicine and Tinnitus

Post by florin »

I would be curious to know how does TM view this condition and whether it knows ways of alleviating it.
Malcolm

Re: Tibetan Medicine and Tinnitus

Post by Malcolm »

florin wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 pm I would be curious to know how does TM view this condition and whether it knows ways of alleviating it.
It is considered a wind condition, oil treatments for the ears are recommended, but not if your eardrum is perforated.
florin

Post by florin »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 pm
florin wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 pm I would be curious to know how does TM view this condition and whether it knows ways of alleviating it.
It is considered a wind condition, oil treatments for the ears are recommended, but not if your eardrum is perforated.
Thanks Malcolm.
As far as i know my eardrum is not perforated. I don't have any simptoms that are normally associated with perforated eardrum.
I had slight tinnitus very mild, for the past 8 years or so.
On a scale of 1 to 10 of intensity i would consider to be somewhere around 3 or 4.
But for the past month or so the intensity increased so i would place it around 5 or 6. And whats more anoying is that now it is more constant.
Before it used to go away for short periods llike a day, half day but now it stays constant.

Usually it is very high pitched but sometimes during night especially late night early morning for a short while, 10 or 15 min, it changes pitch to a much lower frenquency.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

chronic, persistent tinnitus is recalcitrant to treatment regardless of the system of medicine. this where it's important to know something about the "natural history" of particular diseases. just because treatments are recommended in textbooks doesn't mean those treatments are highly effective. this one of the benefits of western-style research, whether retrospective or prospective. anecdotal reports are only valuable if they prompt research with a reasonable sized cohort.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
florin

Post by florin »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:54 pm chronic, persistent tinnitus is recalcitrant to treatment regardless of the system of medicine. this where it's important to know something about the "natural history" of particular diseases. just because treatments are recommended in textbooks doesn't mean those treatments are highly effective. this one of the benefits of western-style research, whether retrospective or prospective. anecdotal reports are only valuable if they prompt research with a reasonable sized cohort.
Do you mean to say that it doesn't respond well to treatment?
If that, i would sort of agree.
For example western medicine doesn't have a formal clear well defined pathway of treating pure tinnitus unless it is an effect or result of a different underlying condition. In which case one would try to intervine and treat or reduce that primary condition.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

yes, florin, i'm saying that, in my 30 years' experience and also based on what all my medical teachers have told me, chronic, persistent tinnitus is very resistant to treatment regardless of the modality and system.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Reddit tinnitus method might be worth looking in to. Seems to work for some.

'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Motova

Post by Motova »

Caffeine seems to make mine worse.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”