Indoor climbing/bouldering

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Indoor climbing/bouldering

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Started this a few months ago an I'm really loving it. Im 41 and weigh 220, so it isn't easy, but I can usually get somewhere on the first two difficulty levels on the different indoor bouldering places ive been. Anyone else into this, any pointers or resources out there?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Vasana

Re: Indoor climbing/bouldering

Post by Vasana »

Thanks for the reminder to get back in to it. Newbie myself so no pointers or resources to share.

Always found regular work-outs boring but climbing is actually fun :twothumbsup:
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Both of you need to get outdoors and do the real thing whenever you can. Sunlight, fresh air, great scenery, friends to rescue you when things go astray ...

:twothumbsup:
Kim
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Kim O'Hara wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:53 am Both of you need to get outdoors and do the real thing whenever you can. Sunlight, fresh air, great scenery, friends to rescue you when things go astray ...

Kim
I did the real thing as a teenager, it's great but the time and money expenditure is -way- beyond what you have to sacrifice to go a climbing gym, so in my present life circumstances, no way.

-Khunu Lama
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:31 am Started this a few months ago an I'm really loving it. Im 41 and weigh 220, so it isn't easy, but I can usually get somewhere on the first two difficulty levels on the different indoor bouldering places ive been. Anyone else into this, any pointers or resources out there?
Long time climber. I actually started mediation to improve my focus for dangerous climbs and then quickly found the peak experiences I had during climbing could be replicated without ever leaving the house or putting my body at risk. I still enjoy it very much but instead of climbing 300 days a year I climb a small fraction of that.

For some quick tips:

1. Learn to use your feet. Inside, oustide, and point of shoe. Make sure you shoes fit well and are not sloppy. Look at your feet everytime you use them. Making sure you are placing them properly. Then trust them. You can get most of your weight on the feet using hands only for balance.

2. Focus on lots of moves not difficulty. You should feel fluid and moving smoothly.

3. If you want to get on more difficult climbs after you have your foot work and movement dialed in lose 60 lbs and get a finger board.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Great tips man, thanks, I've been trying to downclimb a lot for the footwork. What's a fingerboard? I could lose 40 pounds max, after that itd get unhealthy. I feel like my build sets the ceiling lower on what I can do, but im so new I can just focus on getting better for now.

-Khunu Lama
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:48 pm Great tips man, thanks, I've been trying to downclimb a lot for the footwork. What's a fingerboard? I could lose 40 pounds max, after that itd get unhealthy. I feel like my build sets the ceiling lower on what I can do, but im so new I can just focus on getting better for now.
Also, make sure you are climbing with and watching people that are better than you.

https://www.beastmaker.co.uk/
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Lukeinaz wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:39 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:48 pm Great tips man, thanks, I've been trying to downclimb a lot for the footwork. What's a fingerboard? I could lose 40 pounds max, after that itd get unhealthy. I feel like my build sets the ceiling lower on what I can do, but im so new I can just focus on getting better for now.
Also, make sure you are climbing with and watching people that are better than you.

https://www.beastmaker.co.uk/
Ah ok, I get it. Probably won't be good enough to worry about that for a while.

Well, I go by myself, but i have been going out of my way to watch people, especially when I see someone of my build that can do gravity-defying stuff. Not that many of them, but i've seen a few.

-Khunu Lama
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 am Well, I go by myself, but i have been going out of my way to watch people, especially when I see someone of my build that can do gravity-defying stuff. Not that many of them, but i've seen a few.
This one is quite nice:
phpBB [video]

Then there's Alex Honnold:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Incredible. Like I said, I think with my build the ceiling is pretty low for me, even if I lost weight. It's so enjoyable though, the only physical activity other than martial arts that can I see myself doing until I get old enough that I have to stop due to health etc. It's also one of the most meditative, relaxing heavy physical activities i've engaged in.

-Khunu Lama
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:48 pm
Kim O'Hara wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:53 am Both of you need to get outdoors and do the real thing whenever you can. Sunlight, fresh air, great scenery, friends to rescue you when things go astray ...

Kim
I did the real thing as a teenager, it's great but the time and money expenditure is -way- beyond what you have to sacrifice to go a climbing gym, so in my present life circumstances, no way.
Fair enough. It depends a lot on where you live.

:namaste:
Kim
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:48 am It's also one of the most meditative, relaxing heavy physical activities i've engaged in.
Totally agree. So easy to enter into that flow state. Don't worry about any ceiling, as long as you are having fun improvement will take care of itself.

""

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”