Vegetarian Diet Recommendations

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Veer-Zinda

Vegetarian Diet Recommendations

Post by Veer-Zinda » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:09 am

I'm trying to reduce my meat consumption and gradually work towards a vegetarian diet, but one thing I've found is that I often don't feel particularly full after a vegetarian meal.

Do you have any recommendations for balanced meals that aren't too calorific but are more filling? I know I could just eat more margarita pizza to feel full, but that's exactly what I'm not looking for! :lol:

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: Vegetarian Diet Recommendations

Post by Grigoris » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:16 am

I tend to finish each meal with lots of salad and fruit, otherwise I can easily eat 2-3 serves, but then I exercise at least three times a week.

Low carb protein shakes are another option to relieve hunger without adding overall calories.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:45 am

protein is definitely the hunger killer.
Pulses, tofu, soya, quorn, and especially nuts like almonds, walnuts and brazil nuts for a balance.
Some good recipes here (a friend's book):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bit-Good-Stuff ... good+stuff
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Monlam Tharchin

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Moosewood cookbook
Thug kitchen series. I like the 101 book a lot, it's a crash course in vegan cooking
seitan (wheat gluten meat substitute you can make at home that is very versatile and filling, I can share my recipe if interested)
Any grain + bean/lentil + protein + veggie = instant dinner
E.g. rice, lentils, tofu + sauteed broccoli
Throw cashews on top of dinner. I do this with spaghetti.

I've been veggie for four years or so. I can dig up some good recipes when I'm on my computer later :)

Cianan

Post by Cianan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm

I always consider how to incorporate eggs, nuts (almond butter has proven to be quite versatile), seeds like hemp, chia and pumpkin and quality sources of fat like coconut milk, coconut oil and olive oil. Also, fiber does a lot to make you feel full. Plenty of vegetables is a perfect way to accomplish this.
“All is an adornment for clarifying wisdom,
And is purified simply by realizing this.”

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Nuts are good, especially walnuts which contain some Omega 3s.

Watch out not to eat too much cheese and dairy. When I first became vegetarian I was eating too much cheese and dairy and my weight went up. Now I'm mostly vegan, eating vegan at least 6 of 7 days per week and I'm stable at my ideal weight.

Also, dairy is not good for you, it contains lots of saturated fat that can clog arteries. Lacto-ovo vegetarians will argue that dairy is better than meat and ethically it might be a little bit, but nutritionally it's about the same damage.

Cianan

Post by Cianan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:54 pm

DNS wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Watch out not to eat too much cheese and dairy. When I first became vegetarian I was eating too much cheese and dairy and my weight went up. Now I'm mostly vegan, eating vegan at least 6 of 7 days per week and I'm stable at my ideal weight.

Also, dairy is not good for you, it contains lots of saturated fat that can clog arteries. Lacto-ovo vegetarians will argue that dairy is better than meat and ethically it might be a little bit, but nutritionally it's about the same damage.
While I respect your contribution and agree with the suggestion to reduce dairy intake, I wanted to chime in again with the subject of saturated fat having been brought up.

Earlier, I made a recommendation of eating coconut milk and oil, and this is constituted of almost pure saturated fat, but it would actually be a shocking discrepancy for any evidence to suggest that coconut does anything but improve health: it yields benefits for everything from cardiovascular health to Alzheimer's symptoms. Moreover, when you investigate indigenous peoples such as the Masaai tribe in Kenya and Inuit Eskimos whose diets consist of saturated fat more than anything else, they have an exceedingly low rate of incidence of heart disease. Human breast milk is very high in saturated fat, and I feel this alone says a lot. Saturated fat is critical for human health for many reasons.

The sugar industry paid Harvard scientists to falsify a study shifting the blame for heart disease to saturated fat. There's no question that refined sugar causes a host of health problems such as heart disease, but this effectively misled both consumers and researchers for decades. Money makes the world go round, they say, and this wasn't the first or only instance of having profitability as a priority. Trans fats-laden vegetable oils were promoted by authorities as a wholesome substitute, but these were only shown to be egregiously unwholesome after much public consumption.
Last edited by Cianan on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
“All is an adornment for clarifying wisdom,
And is purified simply by realizing this.”

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:14 am

Some pretty good advice here already. I'll share one of my staple meals. Extremely easy to cook, and tasty. Recipe is from John Douillard.
One-Pot Lentils and Rice
Makes 3-4 servings
  • 1 cup basmati rice, brown or white, uncooked (or any seasonal whole grain)
  • 5 cups water (or homemade sodium-free vegetable broth, recipe page 145)
  • 1 cup red lentils, uncooked
  • 1 cup parsnips, diced
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 1 stalk celery, sliced
  • 1⁄2 tsp rosemary, dried (or 1 tsp fresh)
  • 1⁄2 tsp thyme, dried (or 1 tsp fresh)
  • 2 pinches salt
  • 1 Tbsp "On the Ranch Dressing" or 1 Tbsp of pumpkin seeds
  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until beans, rice, and vegetables are tender.
  2. Pour into a bowl and drizzle with On the Ranch Dressing.
  3. Rice cooker method: Combine all ingredients in a rice cooker and turn it on.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:19 am

Veer-Zinda wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:09 am
I'm trying to reduce my meat consumption and gradually work towards a vegetarian diet, but one thing I've found is that I often don't feel particularly full after a vegetarian meal.

Do you have any recommendations for balanced meals that aren't too calorific but are more filling? I know I could just eat more margarita pizza to feel full, but that's exactly what I'm not looking for! :lol:
My solution for reducing meat consumption - not going vegetarian - is different from all of the above (although all of the above look good, too, except maybe for the "saturated fat" sidetrack) so I will share it here.
It's to keep on using all my favourite meat-based soup/pasta sauce/stew/casserole recipes but just reduce the percentage of meat. The flavours come out nearly the same if you halve the proportion of meat, although boosting the herbs and spices a bit is good. The benefits are that you don't have to make any radical changes in the way you cook or the ingredients you buy - and family members who have no interest in going vegetarian won't grumble (they may not even notice).

:stirthepot:
Kim

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:42 am

avoid sugar and fats. complex carbs, not simple carbs. Lots of carrots, sweet potatoes, whole wheat, brown rice, all kinds of vegetables and protein! Nuts, seeds, beans, low fat dairy. When I switched to a no meat or fish diet and went from about 240 to 230. My ideal weight as per body mass index in 180. If i go to vegan diet i can drop another 20?

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:09 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:42 am
If i go to vegan diet i can drop another 20?
Not if you eat fried potato with vegan mayonnaise all day you won't. Being vegan does not mean starving.

You can eat white bread with vegetable margarine and vegan cheese sandwiches all day. Believe me, you will pack on the kilos.

A vegan friend of mine (a fellow martial artist too) was 130kg (280+ pounds).

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:11 am

SunWuKong wrote:
avoid sugar and fats. complex carbs, not simple carbs. Lots of carrots, sweet potatoes, whole wheat, brown rice, all kinds of vegetables and protein! Nuts, seeds, beans, low fat dairy. When I switched to a no meat or fish diet and went from about 240 to 230. My ideal weight as per body mass index in 180. If i go to vegan diet i can drop another 20?
Any human can lose wieight by consuming fewer calories, but most people really don't want to hear that, or the 'eat less move more' formula.

If you simply shift the source of calories from one type of food to another the difference will be very small. Protein certainly helps suppress appetite, so be sure to incude it........some people switch to 'vegan' but have a nutritionally very poor diet. I recommended a book in my first post - it makes things easy.

Oh, and vegan wine and beer is still as calorific. ;)
Last edited by Mantrik on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:16 am

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:09 am
SunWuKong wrote:
If i go to vegan diet i can drop another 20?
Not if you eat fried potato with vegan mayonnaise all day you won't. Being vegan does not mean starving. You can eat white bread with vegetable margarine and vegan cheese sandwiches all day. Believe me: you will pack on the kilos.

A vegan friend of mine (a fellow martial artist too) was 130kg (280+ pounds).
I also knew someone who was a pro-cyclist, vegan, amazingly fit, resting pulse around 35 I seem to remember, and could run a marathon and still cycle 5 hours in the gym at max intenisty the same day.............and he was always ill.

He had no idea about consuming a balanced diet.

You could combine both our tales and have an obese unfit and unhealthy vegan.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:16 am

Veer-Zinda wrote:

:focus:
... for the sake of our new member ...
:thanks:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:43 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:19 am
Veer-Zinda wrote:

My solution for reducing meat consumption - not going vegetarian - is different from all of the above (although all of the above look good, too, except maybe for the "saturated fat" sidetrack) so I will share it here.
It's to keep on using all my favourite meat-based soup/pasta sauce/stew/casserole recipes but just reduce the percentage of meat. The flavours come out nearly the same if you halve the proportion of meat, although boosting the herbs and spices a bit is good. The benefits are that you don't have to make any radical changes in the way you cook or the ingredients you buy - and family members who have no interest in going vegetarian won't grumble (they may not even notice).

Kim
This.
Basic good sense.
Eat, meditate, and live as best you can. Not as you can't.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Shakshuka
Sauté diced onions and red peppers
Add Spanish smoked paprika and ground cumin seed
Add equal amount of diced tomatoes
A bit of diced garlic, then simmer
Stir in some non fat feta cheese
Top with eggs or egg whites, cover with lid until eggs are lightly poached

Baked fennel bulbs with lemon
Heat oven to medium
Chop fennel bulbs, stems, greens 8mm thin
Ditto lemons, remove pips
Arrange in a shallow ovenware dish
Bake until tender
Optional grated Parmesan cheese

Sautéed Sweet Potatoes
Or carrots, or butternut squash, or combination of them
15 mm cubes of orange vegetables
Sliced onions
Heat skillet and sautéed vegetables & onions
Add herbs d Provence & slice tomato

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:43 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:28 pm
Shakshuka
Sauté diced onions and red peppers
Add Spanish smoked paprika and ground cumin seed
Add equal amount of diced tomatoes
A bit of diced garlic, then simmer
Stir in some non fat feta cheese
Top with eggs or egg whites, cover with lid until eggs are lightly poached
:twothumbsup:

Simmer very gently for quite a long time, 30 - 50 mins
I've never tried it with the cheese but there are all sorts of variations, even within its North African home territory.

Kim

PSM

Post by PSM » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Cianan wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:54 pm
DNS wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:24 pm

While I respect your contribution and agree with the suggestion to reduce dairy intake, I wanted to chime in again with the subject of saturated fat having been brought up.

Earlier, I made a recommendation of eating coconut milk and oil, and this is constituted of almost pure saturated fat, but it would actually be a shocking discrepancy for any evidence to suggest that coconut does anything but improve health: it yields benefits for everything from cardiovascular health to Alzheimer's symptoms. Moreover, when you investigate indigenous peoples such as the Masaai tribe in Kenya and Inuit Eskimos whose diets consist of saturated fat more than anything else, they have an exceedingly low rate of incidence of heart disease. Human breast milk is very high in saturated fat, and I feel this alone says a lot. Saturated fat is critical for human health for many reasons.

The sugar industry paid Harvard scientists to falsify a study shifting the blame for heart disease to saturated fat. There's no question that refined sugar causes a host of health problems such as heart disease, but this effectively misled both consumers and researchers for decades. Money makes the world go round, they say, and this wasn't the first or only instance of having profitability as a priority. Trans fats-laden vegetable oils were promoted by authorities as a wholesome substitute, but these were only shown to be egregiously unwholesome after much public consumption.
This is very good advice. A lot of the information people have been brought up with in the west regarding a 'good diet' is factually wrong, including things like the food pyramid.

As for good veggie food, I think the Indians have the best recipes, but then I am biased.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Saturated fats are not a problem as long as one eats a diet low in carbohydrates (simple and complex) since the saturated fats are then broken down by the body for use in energy production.

BUT the idea of a balanced diet being unhealthy is a ludicrous concept. If one eats more saturated fats, then they need to eat less carbohydrates. If one takes meat and fish out of the equation then they need to eat more pulses and legumes. That is what a balanced diet is about: getting the right combination of various food stuffs to guarantee a healthy functioning body.

No one nutritional substance is better or worse than another.

That sort of thinking is for food faddists.

Veer-Zinda

Post by Veer-Zinda » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Wow, thank you all for your suggestions! :twothumbsup: Lots of ideas to work with here!

Particularly liked the look of the shakshuka recipe, as I'm a big fan of anything paprika or BBQ :stirthepot:

:namaste:

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”