How do buddhists find exercise motivation?

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
EarthlingsFilm

How do buddhists find exercise motivation?

Post by EarthlingsFilm »

Before I began meditating I was big into exercise. I would go to the gym daily and work out for a couple hours. Now I seem to have let go of some attachments including to a good looking body or to lift heavier weight. So, without that as a motivating tool, how does one find the energy and desire to exercise?
One tool I still use is the desire to be breathing fresh air in nature, but I find that leads to easy hikes instead of health gains. Thanks!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: How do buddhists find exercise motivation?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

EarthlingsFilm wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:17 am Before I began meditating I was big into exercise. I would go to the gym daily and work out for a couple hours. Now I seem to have let go of some attachments including to a good looking body or to lift heavier weight. So, without that as a motivating tool, how does one find the energy and desire to exercise?
One tool I still use is the desire to be breathing fresh air in nature, but I find that leads to easy hikes instead of health gains. Thanks!
Do stuff that's fun.

Not to be facetious, but seriously, find exercise you enjoy, perhaps that is meditative, rather than seeing as a chore to look a certain way, etc.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I find exercise is a really important way of regulating the body and emotions. Working out enough to really break a sweat - I generally either jog, swim, or gym circuit training - leads to better sleep, less physical restlessness, and a more stable emotionality. That's not so much weight-training or body-sculpting - just basic aerobic fitness and strength training. Of course it does take a bit of an effort to get out the door and keep doing it, but having been exercising for about 5 decades, I'm well habituated to it and the body more or less demands it.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Buddhadharma physical Yogas would be best.

After that, Judo and/or Helio or Carlos or Carlson “Jitsu” (Jutsu). Judo, if you only have time for one.

Weight training is good, but hard to get motivated for especially if you don’t have a friend to train with.

Judo is very engaging and easy to stay interested in.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:20 am
EarthlingsFilm wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:17 am Before I began meditating I was big into exercise. I would go to the gym daily and work out for a couple hours. Now I seem to have let go of some attachments including to a good looking body or to lift heavier weight. So, without that as a motivating tool, how does one find the energy and desire to exercise?
Do stuff that's fun.

Not to be facetious, but seriously, find exercise you enjoy, ...
:twothumbsup:

And look at it as part of your "care for the body", looking after what you have been given by karma (and your parents) so that you make the best use of your opportunity for practice (and everything else).

:namaste:
Kim
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I only do the basics a couple times/week; some running, mess around with lots of reps of relatively lighter weights, situps, pushups etc.. the increased stamina and resilience means a better & more stable job meditating (faster recovery of circulation), better control over breath. Even little incidentals like fast recovery after hustling up flights of stairs to get to the session instead of arriving out of breath make a big difference. Also helps prevent soreness after doing heavier work- construction, moving stuff etc is nice to not be sore after an afternoon hauling wood or shovelling snow.

Someday, when the snow & cold disappear, it'll be great to get back on the bicycle- back onto the trails, thats a nice change of pace from the circuit in the gym.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I just simply take a look at these pictures and ask myself whether I want to be like this

or like this

“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Way-Fun

Post by Way-Fun »

The recognition that exercise is necessary to sustain the good health of this body and mind is enough.
Sādhaka wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:13 am Buddhadharma physical Yogas would be best.
What are Buddhadharma physical yogas?
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Way-Fun wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:06 pm The recognition that exercise is necessary to sustain the good health of this body and mind is enough.
Sādhaka wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:13 am Buddhadharma physical Yogas would be best.
What are Buddhadharma physical yogas?
Lujong, tsalung trulkhor, etc.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Prostrations are excellent exercise, if done carefully and not excessively, and can be considered to be an example of Buddhist physical yoga.

As far as motivation is concerned, I like exercising so it's not really an issue for me.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:42 pm Prostrations are excellent exercise,
I'm trying to motivate myself to do this...the past few days I've been watching videos & trying to remember exactly what i said , as i prostrated...

Other than that, all day long i am moving my body...only sitting for a few minutes to rest. When i get home (from work), I'm exhausted. So i really have to push myself to keep moving. On weekends i do about 15-20 minutes of yoga (which i love doing).

Now to incorporate the yoga (for a warm up)....then do prostrations (full)...probably for an hour...then shoot for 2 hours...
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

BTW, I started doing indoor climbing recently, it's quite meditative and really fun, it's also an incredible workout. I'm probably stronger at 41 due to a few months of it than I was in my 20's doing more strength training. Sorry to plug for my latest obsession, but seriously, it's really fun and reasonably cheap.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Is the legit?

http://www.lujong.org
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

Exercise will help you to meditate better.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

On top of the excellent reasons already given, exercise is the closest thing we have to a "longevity pill" and will tend to extend your life thus providing you with more opportunity to accumulate merit and wisdom, more purification and more opportunity to help others and attain realization.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Tlalok

Post by Tlalok »

The body is the mandala of the peaceful and wrathful deities. Making it strong, clean and healthy is a magnificent offering to the buddhas. That's at least how I motivate myself.
DiamondMeru

Post by DiamondMeru »

Miroku wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 pm I just simply take a look at these pictures and ask myself whether I want to be like this

or like this

:rolling: :lol:
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

You simply need to make it a habit.

I trained olympic weightlifting intensively in the last few years. I have since stopped it due to starting to work, but I continue to train the powerlifting (different sport) lifts 3x a week, and cardio once a week.

I have never at all been motivated by "looking good for others". What does motivate me is the whole general process of improving. Improving my technique, my numbers, decreased waist size etc.
madhusudan

Post by madhusudan »

I remember a holiday way up in the mountains of Nepal where the monks and villagers paraded the Dharma books through town.

Load all your Dharma books into a backpack and parade them through nature for the benefit of all beings. Should make that light hike a bit more challenging.

If you need more weight, add bottles of water and use them to nurture the plants and beings in a special spot. Watch it flourish over time.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

By understanding that having a human body is a precious opportunity and you should keep your body in good health in order to take full advantage of this opportunity. Also, by recognizing that if you are able to live a long life with this body, then you can help more beings with it and alleviate more suffering with it.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”