Ointments for relief of achy joints?

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Antumbra

Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Antumbra »

Hi,

Anyone have some favorite Ayurvedic/TCM/Tibetan medicine ointments they've used to relieve pain from aching joints or the onset of arthritis? I'm looking for something that doesn't have a strong odor and is non-allergenic. In the past I've used stuff like dit da jow since it's used by martial artists, but it has a strong odor. Any ideas would be very helpful!

:thanks:
Vasana

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Vasana »

Extra Virgn coconut oil works surprisingly fast at relieving joint inflammation and also smells pleasant and mild .
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Antumbra wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:47 pm Hi,

Anyone have some favorite Ayurvedic/TCM/Tibetan medicine ointments they've used to relieve pain from aching joints or the onset of arthritis? I'm looking for something that doesn't have a strong odor and is non-allergenic. In the past I've used stuff like dit da jow since it's used by martial artists, but it has a strong odor. Any ideas would be very helpful!

:thanks:
I have some ointment from my local health store that contains capsicum oil and is very effective and mild smelling but I suspect may only be available in the UK. Its called Muscle Rescue..
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

I occasionally soak in a hot tub with epsom salts . Also Magnesium oil helps .
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Not an ointment, but rosehip tablets work extremely well for me. :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

also not an ointment, turmeric/curcumin has been shown in studies to be as effective as many prescription anti-inflammatory drugs
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Fa Dao wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:17 pm also not an ointment, turmeric/curcumin has been shown in studies to be as effective as many prescription anti-inflammatory drugs
I'm taking a turmeric/curcumin supplement currently. Early days but I am hopeful. Apparently, the body is able to assimilate more readily those products that contain black pepper in addition to the turmeric.

Pero

Post by Pero »

I don't have arthritis (as far as I know) but I use this homeopathic ointment for arthritis pain relief when my knees hurt (I have some issues with them) and it helps. Am so satisfied with it that I bought it for my grandmother as a gift for new year, although don't know if she tried it yet or not. Also used the red one for muscle pain, also helped me. Shared it with a coworker about a month ago, who has back, neck and shoulder pains due to as of yet unknown reasons and it helped reduce the pain too (and then had to order it for her too haha).
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:41 pm
Fa Dao wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:17 pm also not an ointment, turmeric/curcumin has been shown in studies to be as effective as many prescription anti-inflammatory drugs
I'm taking a turmeric/curcumin supplement currently. Early days but I am hopeful. Apparently, the body is able to assimilate more readily those products that contain black pepper in addition to the turmeric.
sorry, I should have mentioned that. Make sure when you get a turmeric supplement that it is high in curcuminoids and has piperine (black pepper extract)
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Fa Dao wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:56 pm
Simon E. wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:41 pm
sorry, I should have mentioned that. Make sure when you get a turmeric supplement that it is high in curcuminoids and has piperine (black pepper extract)
Yes..I'm not sure of the physiological reason, but the science indicates that the piperine enables the body to take up a greater proportion the curcumin.
There is a simple way to tell if your body is absorbing the curcumin. All turmeric supplements are likely to colour your poo a slightly richer shade of brown. But if you are not absorbing it properly your poo will be orange!

Antumbra

Post by Antumbra »

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Here's a search result I came across since creating this thread: https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/shop/c ... oint-balm/

It looks promising, but not one of the cheaper options in this thread.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I find that movement is the best cure for joint pain (unless the joint is inflamed).
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 am I find that movement is the best cure for joint pain (unless the joint is inflamed).
100 prostrations a day keeps the chiropractor away! In all seriousness, I know there are many, many folk who have chronic pain issues that can't do that. But my personal experience is that it does work wonders.
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

I am told DMSO helps. It is available in the UK. My grandmother's friends swore by WD 40, lol. My father said Mexican snake oil and bee venom ointment helped.
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
madhusudan

Post by madhusudan »

I used to consume so much turmeric that I would tan a glowing golden color. Haha...But, my routines have changed since then.

I do believe using multiple anti-inflammatory remedies is good. Reducing wheat, probiotics and prebiotics, cinnamon, and lots of greens. If you could stand to lose a few kilos, like me, reducing the load on your joints could help as well. I'm now into cayenne tea, as circulation is a great healer. Best wishes to your joints.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

DMSO and MSM are very potent medicine. Highly recommended. But the DMSO can give a "garlic breath". The MSM is perfect for pain relief, and without side effect. Marvelous medicine.
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:27 amMy father said Mexican snake oil and bee venom ointment helped.
Snake oil? :tongue: Joking aside, I recall an elderly chemistry professor - also an amateur beekeeper - telling us that a few beestings now and then did more to prevent arthritis than any medicine he'd heard of. FWIW.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”