Ointments for relief of achy joints?

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Post Reply
Antumbra
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:52 pm

Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Antumbra » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi,

Anyone have some favorite Ayurvedic/TCM/Tibetan medicine ointments they've used to relieve pain from aching joints or the onset of arthritis? I'm looking for something that doesn't have a strong odor and is non-allergenic. In the past I've used stuff like dit da jow since it's used by martial artists, but it has a strong odor. Any ideas would be very helpful!

:thanks:

User avatar
Vasana
Posts: 1712
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Vasana » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Extra Virgn coconut oil works surprisingly fast at relieving joint inflammation and also smells pleasant and mild .
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

Simon E.
Posts: 5545
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Simon E. » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Antumbra wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:47 pm
Hi,

Anyone have some favorite Ayurvedic/TCM/Tibetan medicine ointments they've used to relieve pain from aching joints or the onset of arthritis? I'm looking for something that doesn't have a strong odor and is non-allergenic. In the past I've used stuff like dit da jow since it's used by martial artists, but it has a strong odor. Any ideas would be very helpful!

:thanks:
I have some ointment from my local health store that contains capsicum oil and is very effective and mild smelling but I suspect may only be available in the UK. Its called Muscle Rescue..
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

User avatar
Kunga Lhadzom
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:20 pm

I occasionally soak in a hot tub with epsom salts . Also Magnesium oil helps .
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......rocks rolling in my head...lemon juice dripping down my chin....

https://drunklotus.blog

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1548
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Mantrik » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Not an ointment, but rosehip tablets work extremely well for me. :)
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
Fa Dao
Posts: 839
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Fa Dao » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:17 pm

also not an ointment, turmeric/curcumin has been shown in studies to be as effective as many prescription anti-inflammatory drugs
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Simon E.
Posts: 5545
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Simon E. » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Fa Dao wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:17 pm
also not an ointment, turmeric/curcumin has been shown in studies to be as effective as many prescription anti-inflammatory drugs
I'm taking a turmeric/curcumin supplement currently. Early days but I am hopeful. Apparently, the body is able to assimilate more readily those products that contain black pepper in addition to the turmeric.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

Pero
Posts: 2125
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Pero » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:03 pm

I don't have arthritis (as far as I know) but I use this homeopathic ointment for arthritis pain relief when my knees hurt (I have some issues with them) and it helps. Am so satisfied with it that I bought it for my grandmother as a gift for new year, although don't know if she tried it yet or not. Also used the red one for muscle pain, also helped me. Shared it with a coworker about a month ago, who has back, neck and shoulder pains due to as of yet unknown reasons and it helped reduce the pain too (and then had to order it for her too haha).
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

User avatar
Fa Dao
Posts: 839
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Fa Dao » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:41 pm
Fa Dao wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:17 pm
also not an ointment, turmeric/curcumin has been shown in studies to be as effective as many prescription anti-inflammatory drugs
I'm taking a turmeric/curcumin supplement currently. Early days but I am hopeful. Apparently, the body is able to assimilate more readily those products that contain black pepper in addition to the turmeric.
sorry, I should have mentioned that. Make sure when you get a turmeric supplement that it is high in curcuminoids and has piperine (black pepper extract)
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Simon E.
Posts: 5545
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Simon E. » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Fa Dao wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:56 pm
Simon E. wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:41 pm
Fa Dao wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:17 pm
also not an ointment, turmeric/curcumin has been shown in studies to be as effective as many prescription anti-inflammatory drugs
I'm taking a turmeric/curcumin supplement currently. Early days but I am hopeful. Apparently, the body is able to assimilate more readily those products that contain black pepper in addition to the turmeric.
sorry, I should have mentioned that. Make sure when you get a turmeric supplement that it is high in curcuminoids and has piperine (black pepper extract)
Yes..I'm not sure of the physiological reason, but the science indicates that the piperine enables the body to take up a greater proportion the curcumin.
There is a simple way to tell if your body is absorbing the curcumin. All turmeric supplements are likely to colour your poo a slightly richer shade of brown. But if you are not absorbing it properly your poo will be orange!
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

Antumbra
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:52 pm

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Antumbra » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:27 am

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Here's a search result I came across since creating this thread: https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/shop/c ... oint-balm/

It looks promising, but not one of the cheaper options in this thread.

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17360
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Grigoris » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 am

I find that movement is the best cure for joint pain (unless the joint is inflamed).
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by TharpaChodron » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:28 am

Grigoris wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 am
I find that movement is the best cure for joint pain (unless the joint is inflamed).
100 prostrations a day keeps the chiropractor away! In all seriousness, I know there are many, many folk who have chronic pain issues that can't do that. But my personal experience is that it does work wonders.

User avatar
Dorje Shedrub
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:27 am

I am told DMSO helps. It is available in the UK. My grandmother's friends swore by WD 40, lol. My father said Mexican snake oil and bee venom ointment helped.
For as long as space endures
And for as long as living beings remain,
Until then may I, too, abide
To dispel the misery of the world.
- Shantideva, The Way of the Bodhisattva

madhusudan
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by madhusudan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:57 am

I used to consume so much turmeric that I would tan a glowing golden color. Haha...But, my routines have changed since then.

I do believe using multiple anti-inflammatory remedies is good. Reducing wheat, probiotics and prebiotics, cinnamon, and lots of greens. If you could stand to lose a few kilos, like me, reducing the load on your joints could help as well. I'm now into cayenne tea, as circulation is a great healer. Best wishes to your joints.

Soma999
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by Soma999 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:50 am

DMSO and MSM are very potent medicine. Highly recommended. But the DMSO can give a "garlic breath". The MSM is perfect for pain relief, and without side effect. Marvelous medicine.

humble.student
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: Ointments for relief of achy joints?

Post by humble.student » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:54 am

Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:27 am
My father said Mexican snake oil and bee venom ointment helped.
Snake oil? :tongue: Joking aside, I recall an elderly chemistry professor - also an amateur beekeeper - telling us that a few beestings now and then did more to prevent arthritis than any medicine he'd heard of. FWIW.

Post Reply

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests