What is the Typical Asian Diet?

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Dharma Flower

What is the Typical Asian Diet?

Post by Dharma Flower »

I’ve been eating a mostly vegetarian diet for about the last eight months. I would like to incorporate meat back into my diet, while nonetheless eating healthier than before.

In the typical American diet, we eat too much red meat and junk food, and not enough fruits and vegetables. The typical Asian diet is healthier in comparison:
Folks in Asian countries tend to have lower rates of cancer, heart disease and obesity than Americans do, and they typically live longer, too. Researchers suspect that owes largely to their diet: a low-fat, healthy eating style that emphasizes rice, vegetables, fresh fruit and fish, with very little red meat.
https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/tra ... asian-diet
While it’s often assumed that Buddhism in general is vegetarian, this is not inherently the case:
https://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/dh ... /fdd21.htm
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: What is the Typical Asian Diet?

Post by Queequeg »

there is a thread for discussing vegetarianism in Buddhism. It will not be allowed to metasticize out of that area.

Traditional diets: Rice, vegetables, pickles. That's what you fill up on. Meat is just a little side. Often fish. Chicken. Pork. Moderate portions. You should not feel full after the meal.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:10 am Meat is just a little side.
Was that traditionally by choice or something they became accustomed to due to poverty and scarcity?
PSM

Post by PSM »

"Asia" refers to a huge number of countries and cuisines.

If you want to eat healthily, but avoid the awful consequences of the SAD, I REALLY recommend the book "Deep Nutrition".
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

PSM wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:15 am "Asia" refers to a huge number of countries and cuisines.

If you want to eat healthily, but avoid the awful consequences of the SAD, I REALLY recommend the book "Deep Nutrition".
Rice ( a very common thing ), brocolli, chicken. Chicken can be substituted for fish and pork too.

Or for noodles ( if u are a noodle fan ), we will be going with wanton noodles, with roasted pork meat and some kailan vegetables.

That’s the chinese food option ^
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

I've spent quite a bit of time in the Philippines.
It's mostly fish and rice or chicken and rice. Pork is eaten on special occasions as well as goat, very occasionally water buffalo but usually the people that own the water buffalo won't consume them as after working on the farm for many years they become somewhat of a pet as well as a beast of burden and are usually consumed by relatives and neighbors.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:10 am there is a thread for discussing vegetarianism in Buddhism. It will not be allowed to metasticize out of that area.

Traditional diets: Rice, vegetables, pickles. That's what you fill up on. Meat is just a little side. Often fish. Chicken. Pork. Moderate portions. You should not feel full after the meal.
:thumbsup:
Close.
Really more like rice, vegetables, rice, pickles, rice, curry, rice, fruit, rice, meat, etc . :tongue:
Very little processed food and very little refined sugar.
And nearly all fresh (because of lack of preserving technology) and local (because of lack of transport), which means nearly all seasonal.

:namaste:
Kim
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

There is the same need for balance wherever you live in the world.
There are well balanced diets for every preference, and we musn't forget that humans survive pretty well on whatever presents itself to them locally.

It is sad to see so many in India, for example, running as fast as they can away from their own cultures and towards widespread burgers, booze and smoking - led by the nose by massive marketing campaigns by Western companies who are keen to exploit countries with little regulation.

A 'typical' Asian diet doesn't really exist, but I hope the many wonderful regional traditional cuisines are preserved.

I'm very pessimistic about these regions. What with massive biochemical companies taking control of food production and seas full of fish and other beings which are contaminated with mercury, plastics or radiation, the developing countries with the worst pollution controls and which receive the world's trash to dump are in the firing line for the world's worst ecological disasters.

I'd focus more on the ingredients and their source than anything else, prepare them in the way which best releases their nutritional value, and avoid getting in a rut. If Asian flavours are what you want that's great, but if your goal is healthy eating, then avoid regularly eating those dishes high in fat and sugar - and there are plenty of them. The latest marketing ploy - 'fat good, sugar bad' does not apply if you have a predisposition to high 'bad' cholesterol, any more than the previous 'fat bad sugar good' applied to those predisposed to diabetes (and that includes many Indians, for example).
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:15 am :thumbsup:
Close.
Really more like rice, vegetables, rice, pickles, rice, curry, rice, fruit, rice, meat, etc . :tongue:
LOL indeed. Its all about the rice. Go to an Asian food store and look at the giant sacks of rice for sale. You know you've gone native when you can tell good rice from mediocre rice. I can't stand the instant rice that you find in Western supermarkets - not even worth it. :D

My mother being Japanese, we always had rice in the rice cooker growing up. 24/7. Anytime we were hungry we'd scoop out some rice and eat it with whatever leftovers were in the fridge, with a little soy sauce and nori, pickled vegetables... I've been doing the same now - makes feeding the kids so much easier. Serve up a bowl of rice with a little side like fish sticks, dumplings, tofu, natto (takes a special palate), chicken fingers, or whatever else is in the fridge. etc.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

PSM wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:15 am "Asia" refers to a huge number of countries and cuisines.
And despite this, there is a remarkable consistency in terms of basic ingredients and composition of a meal. The flavorings differ, and the preparation methods differ (wok cooking as opposed to roasting on open flames or steaming or stew/sauces), but across most of Asia, the staple is rice, with veggies, and a little protein. The major difference between East and Southeast Asian v. South Asian cooking is the inclusion of dairy in the latter.

Contrast with wheat based diets which you find in North India and the West. And then you have the New World diets heavy on meats like beef which are possible because of the vast tracts of land open for grazing.

And then modern industrial diets that are long on processed foods that yield bloated human beings.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Dharma Flower wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:42 am
Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:10 am Meat is just a little side.
Was that traditionally by choice or something they became accustomed to due to poverty and scarcity?
I'm going to push back on you a little to point out your... bigotry. I'm not blaming you because I don't think you realize what you're suggesting.

Poverty is a function primarily of our modern extraction based economic system. Historically, some of the wealthiest civilizations have been in Asia. We are seeing the reemergence of these civilizations throughout Asia. The impoverished Asia many people have in their minds is an anomalous blip in the course of history.

As for meat, I would argue that the balance of the Asian diet reflects the natural equilibrium where resources cost what they actually cost. The fact of the matter is, it takes an extraordinary amount of resources to produce meat. We have cheap meat because we don't actually pay for most of the cost in terms of environmental degradation, inordinately cheap energy, and just straight cruelty. If we had to pay the real cost for meat in the West, we'd be eating a whole lot less of it. Just consider, even in the West, gout used to be the rich man's disease. Now its spread across the population.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:10 pm I'm going to push back on you a little to point out your... bigotry.
I don't mean to be bigoted in any sort of way, and I'm sorry if I've given that impression.

Before the modern period, the average person in Asian countries may not have been able to afford the level of meat consumption that's available to modern Asians today.
Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:10 pm Historically, some of the wealthiest civilizations have been in Asia.

As far as I know, there was a substantial gap between the rich and the poor in Asian countries that hindered the poor from having access to the same resources.

There was, at that time, what we would call a feudal system in countries like China and Japan, similar to the system that existed in the West in terms of the gap in wealth and power between the poor and the rich.
Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:10 pm If we had to pay the real cost for meat in the West, we'd be eating a whole lot less of it.
I agree with you on that point. The USDA in our country puts the interests of agribusiness above human health in too many ways.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Dharma Flower wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:39 pm I don't mean to be bigoted in any sort of way, and I'm sorry if I've given that impression.

Before the modern period, the average person in Asian countries may not have been able to afford the level of meat consumption that's available to modern Asians today.
I didn't think you were intentionally do anything like that. But, the way you expressed the idea reflected certain bigoted assumptions that are embedded in certain perspectives on non-Western countries. That's all. I'm not a social justice warrior crusading against this stuff, just a friendly point of information.

Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:10 pm Historically, some of the wealthiest civilizations have been in Asia.

As far as I know, there was a substantial gap between the rich and the poor in Asian countries that hindered the poor from having access to the same resources.
You mean like inequality in the West? Access to resources is relative, and I assure you, you and I are deprived of access to the resources our 1% peers have. They do not live in the same world. Most of us have no idea how impoverished, even a middle class existence is in comparison to the wealthy and ultra wealthy.

Don't kid yourself.
There was, at that time, what we would call a feudal system in countries like China and Japan, similar to the system that existed in the West in terms of the gap in wealth and power between the poor and the rich.
You might want to take a closer look at life in those feudal systems.

For instance, in Tokugawa Japan, they had some of the highest literacy rates - comparable to modern, first world country literacy rates. 400 years of peace tends to have remarkable effects on human beings. The shogun was not dining on kobe beef steaks while the farmers starved. If anything, it was the nobility and samurai classes that were falling on hard times and having to marry their daughters to merchants to keep up the castles. When your claim to wealth is being a warrior, but there are no wars to fight, its hard to keep up appearances.

China had similar periods of flowering. They had a problem though because their frontiers were open borders with the steppes out of which hordes of raiders would come every few centuries when the Chinese (and then the successive barbarians who were seduced and Sinicized) got rich, refined, and peaceful.

There have always been rich and poor, but rich and poor is relative. If you think Asian civilizations were vast populations of impoverished poor with an emperor sitting pretty on top, I think history might give you a surprise.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 pm I didn't think you were intentionally do anything like that. But, the way you expressed the idea reflected certain bigoted assumptions that are embedded in certain perspectives on non-Western countries.
I'm sorry if I gave that impression. Bigotry is a very strong word:
a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/bigot?s=t
If I were bigoted toward Asian people, I wouldn't regard the Buddha as the greatest human being who ever lived. I also wouldn't get involved in a predominately Asian religious community or try to base my life on Buddhism and Taoism.

If I have unconscious chauvinism toward other cultures, then I am sorry. At least outwardly, I am more likely to present what I feel to be the superiority of Asian cultures compared to Western culture.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Dharma Flower wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:36 pm
Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 pm I didn't think you were intentionally do anything like that. But, the way you expressed the idea reflected certain bigoted assumptions that are embedded in certain perspectives on non-Western countries.
I'm sorry if I gave that impression. Bigotry is a very strong word:
a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/bigot?s=t
If I were bigoted toward Asian people, I wouldn't regard the Buddha as the greatest human being who ever lived. I also wouldn't get involved in a predominately Asian religious community or try to base my life on Buddhism and Taoism.

If I have unconscious chauvinism toward other cultures, then I am sorry. At least outwardly, I am more likely to present what I feel to be the superiority of Asian cultures compared to Western culture.
No worries, man. I know there is no malice there.

As a person who exhibits phenotypically East Asian physical traits, I'm attuned to certain biases in the wider American culture around me. Like, you know, being spoken of as "Oriental" by older people, or being asked, "Where are you from?" and finding dissatisfaction when I answer something really mundane, like, "Middletown." For the most part, I don't sense the malice, just embedded biases in their world view. Its tiring, but its also, "whatever - you don't know better and I'm not wasting an afternoon and risking an argument trying to sensitize you to your embedded bigotry." Its my dad, not believing that he ever had a leg up in life because he is a white man - all he sees is the struggle he has lived. He's still a swell dude who would take the shirt off his back to help someone if they needed it, regardless of who they are. I'm sure you are, too.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:52 pm No worries, man. I know there is no malice there.
OK. Thank you. Please keep in mind that I don't hold Asian cultures to generally be superior to Western culture. It's just in certain specific ways that I feel traditional Asian cultures are superior to my own native culture.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Dharma Flower wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:54 pm
Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:52 pm No worries, man. I know there is no malice there.
OK. Thank you. Please keep in mind that I don't hold Asian cultures to generally be superior to Western culture. It's just in certain specific ways that I feel traditional Asian cultures are superior to my own native culture.
Dude, you're doing it again. Don't thank me, I'm just speaking for me. I'm not an authorized representative of all Asian Americans granting pardon to clumsy white fella who feels awkward.

LOL
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:52 pm

As a person who exhibits phenotypically East Asian physical traits, I'm attuned to certain biases in the wider American culture around me. Like, you know, being spoken of as "Oriental" by older people, or being asked, "Where are you from?" and finding dissatisfaction when I answer something really mundane, like, "Middletown." For the most part, I don't sense the malice, just embedded biases in their world view. Its tiring, but its also, "whatever - you don't know better and I'm not wasting an afternoon and risking an argument trying to sensitize you to your embedded bigotry." Its my dad, not believing that he ever had a leg up in life because he is a white man - all he sees is the struggle he has lived. He's still a swell dude who would take the shirt off his back to help someone if they needed it, regardless of who they are. I'm sure you are, too.
Reading the conversation I believe you have been over-sensitive and parochial, and using 'bigotry' in a pretty dreadful accusational way.
You have a specific form of ethnicity, as do we all. It does tend at times to narrow our focus.

'Asian' encompasses vastly different cultures and 'Oriental' is but one, pretty meaningless, category. Perhaps you are seeing the snake of bigotry at times, when all that is there is the harmless twig of inquisitiveness? ;)

Shakyamuni was from an 'Asian' background, and if we examine the Indian experience, with caste (and also various invasions and exploitations) poverty still does drive a great deal of people's diet, and has done so for a very long time.

In that huge subcontinent, the local resources have shaped the form of that basic diet, not to mention the spices - not always used to titilate the palate, but to cover the stench of rotting food.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Dharma Flower wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:59 am I’ve been eating a mostly vegetarian diet for about the last eight months. I would like to incorporate meat back into my diet, while nonetheless eating healthier than before.
I forgot a hugely important ingredient. Dal (aka dahl/dhal depending on who writes the signs). Essentially many types of lentils and other pulses and full of protein, fibe etc etc.
I have eaten with a Maharaja and a desert tribe and by far the best meals I ever had in India were from roadside 'dhaba' truckstops with hot fresh dishes. Dal rocks. :)

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Mantrik wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:41 pm
Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Reading the conversation I believe you have been over-sensitive and parochial, and using 'bigotry' in a pretty dreadful accusational way.
You have a specific form of ethnicity, as do we all. It does tend at times to narrow our focus.

'Asian' encompasses vastly different cultures and 'Oriental' is but one, pretty meaningless, category. Perhaps you are seeing the snake of bigotry at times, when all that is there is the harmless twig of inquisitiveness? ;)
In restating what I just pointed out about myself, that I'm sensitive to this stuff, what grand point are you trying to make? Maybe you're the one who is overly sensitive. As you can see the conversation rolled. I explicitly stated several times that I don't think our friend DF is malicious... I was however alerting him to some points that could be offensive. We all are insensitive from time to time, often unwittingly. I'm insensitive often on purpose. I'm a bad man.

Am I over sensitive? I don't know. Over sensitive would be demanding censorship and rebuke even at an innocent voicing of an unwoke view. I'm just pointing out some conventional tropes about Asia that Westerners often have - I would say its that National Geographic perspective - that seems innocuous, even open minded, but is actually deeply racist and bigoted, if not explicitly so, then in the angle of the gaze. We are immersed in these sorts of views, and its very hard to disabuse ourselves of them. It has to start somewhere but in the least it takes the guts to face up that even a view we naively had, even one that idealizes the other in what we think is a positive way, can and often does have negative effects, and we ought not get offended when it gets pointed out in us. Tall order, especially in the present atmosphere where people are on edge about identity.
Shakyamuni was from an 'Asian' background, and if we examine the Indian experience, with caste (and also various invasions and exploitations) poverty still does drive a great deal of people's diet, and has done so for a very long time.

In that huge subcontinent, the local resources have shaped the form of that basic diet, not to mention the spices - not always used to titilate the palate, but to cover the stench of rotting food.
All true. Is that the whole story? Not by a long shot. The fact that the whole sravaka thing could emerge speaks of the massive wealth and food surpluses that Indian civilizations have enjoyed from time to time - to have the resources to let able bodied young men, en masse, loaf around chasing "enlightenment" with a free lunch ticket? These days our leaders get mad if young people study useless things like literature - they'd be apoplectic if all they did was sit in their dorm rooms and meditate.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”