How to Purify Roots and Eggs?

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Tenma

How to Purify Roots and Eggs?

Post by Tenma »

Okay, so I got done mantras for meat, but what about eggs, roots, garlic, onions, and so on? How does one purify those of their defilements before eating them?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: How to Purify Roots and Eggs?

Post by Grigoris »

I prefer to eat them with their defilements intact, they are much tastier and more nutritious that way.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

What do you mean: "mantra for meat"?

Why do you suppose those items are defiled? Do you think they are inherently defiled?
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

mechashivaz wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:58 pm What do you mean: "mantra for meat"?

Why do you suppose those items are defiled? Do you think they are inherently defiled?
Mantra for meat as in like "Aa Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma," "Om Abhira Kechara Hum," and so on to purify oneself of the defilements of eating it.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Grigoris wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:51 pm I prefer to eat them with their defilements intact, they are much tastier and more nutritious that way.
How doest thou purify thyself of these defilements for the sake of the practice? Must one do of the great purifier, Vajrasattva, or what?
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

Tenma wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:40 pm
mechashivaz wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:58 pm What do you mean: "mantra for meat"?

Mantra for meat as in like "Aa Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma," "Om Abhira Kechara Hum," and so on to purify oneself of the defilements of eating it.
Mantra of Liberation Upon Hearing is not for purifying defilements, it's for engendering liberation upon those who "hear".

Where do these defilements of yours exist?
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

Grigoris wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:51 pm I prefer to eat them with their defilements intact, they are much tastier and more nutritious that way.
:twothumbsup:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

The six syllable mantra purifies the root of all six realms. All karma that you want to purify is connected with the six realms. If you use that mantra, you can purify the six realms, not only for yourself but with any beings connected with the meat, eggs, garlic, etc. You purificate everything that way.

Kevin
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Virgo wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:06 am The six syllable mantra purifies the root of all six realms. All karma that you want to purify is connected with the six realms. If you use that mantra, you can purify the six realms, not only for yourself but with any beings connected with the meat, eggs, garlic, etc. You purificate everything that way.

Kevin
Okay, fair enough.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

I just put my palms together and say either loud or silently inside my mind: "I give this food to Amitabha Buddha"

And then add: "Please forgive the garlic, chili, onions, meat, eggs, alcohol" etc..

Then i just eat and wonder what it is. Like Ryokan's why do we eat rice poem.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Tenma wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:44 am Okay, so I got done mantras for meat, but what about eggs, roots, garlic, onions, and so on? How does one purify those of their defilements before eating them?
Just say grace.

Oh, nvm, sorry, this is a Buddhist forum, I forgot.

Just say ġrāce.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

The point of the mantras for meat is not to purify yourself of the karma of eating the meat. It is to help the animal that was killed for the meat.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

to Hell with purification anyway. Without food you will die. And something has to die to feed you. You should be utterly and shamelessly thankful, even more so towards the things you kill
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Spray them like all fruits and vegi's with a squirt bottle of vinegar and rinse in water.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Virgo wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:06 am The six syllable mantra purifies the root of all six realms. All karma that you want to purify is connected with the six realms. If you use that mantra, you can purify the six realms, not only for yourself but with any beings connected with the meat, eggs, garlic, etc. You purificate everything that way.

Kevin
Yes, that is my understanding too, in this case specifically to be whispered over the food before eating it.

It also connects the deceased animal with dharma. I'm not sure how that works but I recall being given that info.

So it works for all foods.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”