Falling sick from a practise?

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
HandsomeMonkeyking

Falling sick from a practise?

Post by HandsomeMonkeyking »

I moved to a new city. Yesterday went to the Buddhist center in that city.

The class was anounced as "Meditation", no special requirements.

I go there and 2 minutes later the practise starts.

At first it was all nice and similar to what I know. Then we imagine light from navel going up, through the crown. Saying "didididi". In my practise I did not do anything related to Kundalini or such thing yet. Mainly because I'm not interested, I think there are many misleading people talking/teaching this and my Tibetan teacher never talked to me about starting this.

In any case, yesterday I joined the practise. Felt something strange at the crown of the head of course. But didn't really like the feeling as it was like opening, going out. But I felt like "and does it come back? should it actually go out?" its like emptying not rooting down.
The person said we feel light, yeah maybe I felt like and transparent. But it wasn't a pleasent feeling.

Afterwards there is a lecture about a different topic by a different teacher (both were westerners btw).
Then I go home. When I want to go to bed I have a terrible headache, cannot sleep for 2-3 hours. Get a bit annoyed because I somehow think its related to that practise.

This morning I wake up, have to call in to work to take a sick day. Feeling sick, headache, throat pain, not very active/powerful. A bit hot.

Trying to relax since the morning. Now wondering whether this is a coincidence and just someone in the crowd was sick and I got infected or whether it is related to the practise. First thought: if its the practise then I shouldnt have done it, this cant be good. But of course there is also the possibility that this is somehow clearing pathways and rubbish going out. Hard to tell for me, probably also hard to tell for you. Any ideas or suggestions anyways?

Since a longer time I'm not interested in energetic practises anymore. Because I think that good instruction and actual time to practise is scarce, and there are more suitable ways to practise for me.

Mostly in awareness of my state and circumstances. Doing Shamatha. Praying. Taming mind when not able to stay in awareness, and looking for causes and effects.
Virgo

Re: Falling sick from a practise?

Post by Virgo »

HandsomeMonkeyking wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:22 pm
This morning I wake up, have to call in to work to take a sick day. Feeling sick, headache, throat pain, not very active/powerful. A bit hot.
I am not familiar with any practice like this. It sounds like too much prana was moving upward, which is what caused the headache, and other symptoms. I would discontinue this practice (sounds like you have already), take rest, have some warm ghee or butter and some warm milk, rest and relax for a day or two and keep a routine-- don't do anything out of the ordinary.

Kevin...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Those things will help you bring your energy back down.

Kevin...
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

It is a bad idea to do practices of this kind on the instructions of random people. Any kind of practice actually.

What's done is done now, probably nothing serious, but I think it is better not to go to such groups again.

In case there is an actual problem, the best solution may be to get transmission/instructions for a good teacher (in the context of/as a part of dharma practice) on practices related to controlling prana etc. I suppose another easier alternative could be finding a good instructor or class in tai chi or something like that.
PSM

Post by PSM »

What group was it?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

PSM wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 pm What group was it?
I fear they may not have been legitimate.

Kevin...
HandsomeMonkeyking

Aryjna wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 pm It is a bad idea to do practices of this kind on the instructions of random people. Any kind of practice actually.
I actually did not plan to do such practise. The course was just announced as meditation. When the beginning felt familiar I thought lets just do it. When the part with the energy up came i thought it maybe also not be good to now stop and only do have the practice.. :shrug:
Aryjna wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 pm In case there is an actual problem, the best solution may be to get transmission/instructions for a good teacher (in the context of/as a part of dharma practice) on practices related to controlling prana etc. I suppose another easier alternative could be finding a good instructor or class in tai chi or something like that.
I did Taiji and Qigong some years ago. Quite well. But like stated then I felt like I don't need/want this energy work anymore. Also because of the lack of qualified people and a lot of guessing. Even though I think I found some good people I also found inconsistencies.
PSM wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 pm What group was it?
https://www.tibet-kailash-haus.de/ They seemed quite fine to me from what I read about them.
HandsomeMonkeyking

Virgo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:57 pm I am not familiar with any practice like this. It sounds like too much prana was moving upward, which is what caused the headache, and other symptoms. I would discontinue this practice (sounds like you have already), take rest, have some warm ghee or butter and some warm milk, rest and relax for a day or two and keep a routine-- don't do anything out of the ordinary.
Thanks for your reply Kevin :-)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

In my personal experience, such difficulties arise due to aversion an anxiety. So, maybe this practice itself is quite okay but without full trust into the teacher, the group, the practice can't work properly.
Possibly your aversion has good reasons which are not fully conscious to yourself yet. But the body sends intelligent warning signals.
Maybe you can find another group with less tantric contents. Most of the time, tantra is not meant for public group sessions, AFAIK. I believe in Freiburg you'll find a lot of groups - or over in Switzerland there are venerable monasteries as well (except Rabten-Choeling).

Edit: But as I look at the website of the place, I see there are some more meditation groups. Try something different maybe. I think, this Tibet-house is okay and seems to be quite engaged. Maybe you can find a corner where you fit to personally.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

HandsomeMonkeyking wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:46 pm
Virgo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:57 pm I am not familiar with any practice like this. It sounds like too much prana was moving upward, which is what caused the headache, and other symptoms. I would discontinue this practice (sounds like you have already), take rest, have some warm ghee or butter and some warm milk, rest and relax for a day or two and keep a routine-- don't do anything out of the ordinary.
Thanks for your reply Kevin :-)
You are very welcome. I hope you are feeling beetter :smile:

Kevin...
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Looking at the site link for Kailash Hause, in the about section, and under all the individual western people running the center or leading workshops, there is no reference to lineage. No reference to a Guru who gave the transmissions and guided any of these people. And the main founder Wilfried Pfeffer, if he is leading tantric meditation with mantra he should be crystal clear about the lineage of transmission. And it should be clear he is teaching only with the blessings and encouragement of his own Lama/s. So there could be something odd here.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Adamantine wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:50 am Looking at the site link for Kailash Hause, in the about section, and under all the individual western people running the center or leading workshops, there is no reference to lineage. No reference to a Guru who gave the transmissions and guided any of these people. And the main founder Wilfried Pfeffer, if he is leading tantric meditation with mantra he should be crystal clear about the lineage of transmission. And it should be clear he is teaching only with the blessings and encouragement of his own Lama/s. So there could be something odd here.
I guess, these many teachers who make the abundant programme at Kailash House come from many different spiritual directions. They offer yoga and different kinds of meditation. Looks ecomenicaly to me.
But anyhow, your post gives a good hint. If one is interested in meditating there, it should be okay to ask who is their teacher.
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

Working with energies in this manner seems inadvisable for people who are just coming out of the gate, with limited or no meditation experience and without individualized guidance from a teacher. I don't know if that description applies to you, but it sounds like the class was aimed at beginners; my hope is that you have more fruitful experiences with meditation in the future.

It's altogether possible that, if you were the only one who experienced difficulties from the exercise, the rest of the participants could have been engaging it purely mentally/intellectually, whereas you were accessing a different level of your being, so to speak. Without appropriately detailed instructions, you wouldn't have been prepared for the sensations you experienced, or been able to counter the effects of anything unpleasant arising in your mind.

It may be beneficial to forget about the experience altogether, focus on the present, and start fresh with a teacher or group you learn to trust...
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Put the tip of your tongue behind your teeth on the palette. Relax the chest. Breath from the lower stomach below the belly button (navel chakra). Feel it as vast and heavy.

Bring the energy down.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
HandsomeMonkeyking

Thanks to everybody!

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”