boring questions about losing weight

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
KeithA

Re: boring questions about losing weight

Post by KeithA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:03 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:32 pm
My Doctor recommended intermittent fasting, but I have to say, I feel like it would only be possible for me on days where I do no activity, which is not many. Despite being a little tubby, i'm really physically active and it seems like that would really be a problem with fast days. Still, I may just try his advice and fast, or mostly fast on the couple days a week where I am less active.
Check out the Obesity Code, by Dr. Fung. Pretty compelling, to me at least.

I am in the same boat as you. Not at the weight I want to be and pretty active. 16/8 is very doable, after a little adjustment.

I won't speak for you, but the reason I am overweight is a lousy diet. My food quality is probably above average, but I eat too much. So, for me, logging my food keeps me honest. I use My Fitness Pal, but there are a million to choose from. I don't do anything stressful, like weighing my food. I just ball park it. I did have a period when I weighed everything and I can't tell you how instructive that was! I have portion control down pretty well. I just lack the discipline to see it through.

The last thing for me, and this a very new thing for me, is to cut out alcohol. I tend to have a beer or glass of wine almost every day and I cut that out. We'll see how that works out. I know my resting heart rate is down significantly (mid 60's down to mid 50's).

Good luck!

mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 pm

DharmaN00b wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:56 pm
mechashivaz wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:09 pm
DharmaN00b wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:16 pm
As I understand it we have to be in KETOSIS in order to burn fat. That means the muscles have to be glycogen depleted.

Combine fasting, low carb and High intensity interval training for awesome success!

This link helps explain because I'm too lazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bodies
Ketosis is switching body's main fuel source to fats and most who do so are in a caloric deficit; it doesn't mean fat isn't lost if one is not in ketosis. (Not sure if that's what you implied)

If you're working out and you're glycogen depleted you'll not perform nearly as well and risk for injury is increased. Especially during a prolonged fast one should not engage in hiit at all.

Ideally one wants to eat as much as possible but still be in a caloric deficit over a long period of time while regularly working out.
First point: Why would your body use emergency supplies (fats) when you have a surplus of glycogen?

Second point: I agree, but going low calorie short term and choosing a low risk repetitive exercise (Eg: punching a bag really fast) would not result in injury.

Third point: Agreed. Foods with high fiber content will release energy slowly and result in a healthy gut biome. High fiber, low calorie foods will fill your stomach too.
Confused on your first point. Not sure where it was suggested that the body would use fat as a fuel source if glycogen is present. Do you think fat is only lost if one is in ketosis?

I've never seen a good case for severe caloric restriction other than some one is impatient or has a body building show. If one engages in these types of crash diets frequently they run the risk of sustaining metabolic damage. Fasting is a whole other thing. Good point on the bag work tho.

Yeah, fiber is a big one that's often over looked. We should get around 25g a day and just looking around at what people eat you know that isn't happening lol.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:02 pm

mechashivaz wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 pm
Confused on your first point. Not sure where it was suggested that the body would use fat as a fuel source if glycogen is present. Do you think fat is only lost if one is in ketosis?
Yes, that's right. I'm under the impression that fats are emergency supplies. The body uses fats- under the condition- when glycogen supplies are low or absent, or am I wrong? Fats are converted via the process of neoglucogenesis, correct?

What's your take on fat burning?

mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:45 pm

DharmaN00b wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:02 pm
mechashivaz wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 pm
Yes, that's right. I'm under the impression that fats are emergency supplies. The body uses fats- under the condition- when glycogen supplies are low or absent, or am I wrong? Fats are converted via the process of neoglucogenesis, correct?

What's your take on fat burning?
You are right, but this isn't the mechanism for fat loss, it's how fat is used for energy. In fact, if some one is in a caloric surplus and in ketosis they will gain weight. Some one could eat nothing but meat and carbs and still lose fat provided they're in a caloric deficit. The body will rid the waste products of the fat breaking down through urine, sweat, and exhalation.

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:46 am

In terms of tracking weight loss/gain, I've found www.trendweight.com quite useful. It smooths out the spikes and focuses on the overall trend which is far more useful than any particular spot reading.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”