boring questions about losing weight

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
KeithA

Re: boring questions about losing weight

Post by KeithA »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:32 pm My Doctor recommended intermittent fasting, but I have to say, I feel like it would only be possible for me on days where I do no activity, which is not many. Despite being a little tubby, i'm really physically active and it seems like that would really be a problem with fast days. Still, I may just try his advice and fast, or mostly fast on the couple days a week where I am less active.
Check out the Obesity Code, by Dr. Fung. Pretty compelling, to me at least.

I am in the same boat as you. Not at the weight I want to be and pretty active. 16/8 is very doable, after a little adjustment.

I won't speak for you, but the reason I am overweight is a lousy diet. My food quality is probably above average, but I eat too much. So, for me, logging my food keeps me honest. I use My Fitness Pal, but there are a million to choose from. I don't do anything stressful, like weighing my food. I just ball park it. I did have a period when I weighed everything and I can't tell you how instructive that was! I have portion control down pretty well. I just lack the discipline to see it through.

The last thing for me, and this a very new thing for me, is to cut out alcohol. I tend to have a beer or glass of wine almost every day and I cut that out. We'll see how that works out. I know my resting heart rate is down significantly (mid 60's down to mid 50's).

Good luck!
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

DharmaN00b wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:56 pm
mechashivaz wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:09 pm
DharmaN00b wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:16 pm As I understand it we have to be in KETOSIS in order to burn fat. That means the muscles have to be glycogen depleted.

Combine fasting, low carb and High intensity interval training for awesome success!

This link helps explain because I'm too lazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bodies
Ketosis is switching body's main fuel source to fats and most who do so are in a caloric deficit; it doesn't mean fat isn't lost if one is not in ketosis. (Not sure if that's what you implied)

If you're working out and you're glycogen depleted you'll not perform nearly as well and risk for injury is increased. Especially during a prolonged fast one should not engage in hiit at all.

Ideally one wants to eat as much as possible but still be in a caloric deficit over a long period of time while regularly working out.
First point: Why would your body use emergency supplies (fats) when you have a surplus of glycogen?

Second point: I agree, but going low calorie short term and choosing a low risk repetitive exercise (Eg: punching a bag really fast) would not result in injury.

Third point: Agreed. Foods with high fiber content will release energy slowly and result in a healthy gut biome. High fiber, low calorie foods will fill your stomach too.
Confused on your first point. Not sure where it was suggested that the body would use fat as a fuel source if glycogen is present. Do you think fat is only lost if one is in ketosis?

I've never seen a good case for severe caloric restriction other than some one is impatient or has a body building show. If one engages in these types of crash diets frequently they run the risk of sustaining metabolic damage. Fasting is a whole other thing. Good point on the bag work tho.

Yeah, fiber is a big one that's often over looked. We should get around 25g a day and just looking around at what people eat you know that isn't happening lol.
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

mechashivaz wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 pm Confused on your first point. Not sure where it was suggested that the body would use fat as a fuel source if glycogen is present. Do you think fat is only lost if one is in ketosis?
Yes, that's right. I'm under the impression that fats are emergency supplies. The body uses fats- under the condition- when glycogen supplies are low or absent, or am I wrong? Fats are converted via the process of neoglucogenesis, correct?

What's your take on fat burning?
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

DharmaN00b wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:02 pm
mechashivaz wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 pm Confused on your first point. Not sure where it was suggested that the body would use fat as a fuel source if glycogen is present. Do you think fat is only lost if one is in ketosis?
Yes, that's right. I'm under the impression that fats are emergency supplies. The body uses fats- under the condition- when glycogen supplies are low or absent, or am I wrong? Fats are converted via the process of neoglucogenesis, correct?

What's your take on fat burning?
You are right, but this isn't the mechanism for fat loss, it's how fat is used for energy. In fact, if some one is in a caloric surplus and in ketosis they will gain weight. Some one could eat nothing but meat and carbs and still lose fat provided they're in a caloric deficit. The body will rid the waste products of the fat breaking down through urine, sweat, and exhalation.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

In terms of tracking weight loss/gain, I've found www.trendweight.com quite useful. It smooths out the spikes and focuses on the overall trend which is far more useful than any particular spot reading.

The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

stress reduction has a positive impact both on metabolism and the craving.

The feel of hungriness also is only a strong Ego's play.

I can abandon eating habits only when off work, which is quite a limitating factor. Should look into how to do my job at lower stress...

How have you guys been doing since tread inception? Johnny, successful?
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
madhusudan

Post by madhusudan »

If you're willing to completely change your lifestyle and relationship with food, check out Snake Diet. Sounds gimmicky, but works for real.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

madhusudan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:16 am If you're willing to completely change your lifestyle and relationship with food, check out Snake Diet. Sounds gimmicky, but works for real.
My doctor actually recommends periodic fasting. If I just followed his instructions I'd probably be lighter, but I haven't so I still have 10 to 15 pounds I need to lose.

As an update: I haven't focused on eating a lot less, just cutting down here and there and exercising a ton, not to lose weight, but just for the well-being benefits.

We will see if it staves off my tendency towards metabolic syndrome with my next set of labs, or whether I will simply have to eat dainty little portions forever.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:36 am
madhusudan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:16 am If you're willing to completely change your lifestyle and relationship with food, check out Snake Diet. Sounds gimmicky, but works for real.
My doctor actually recommends periodic fasting. If I just followed his instructions I'd probably be lighter, but I haven't so I still have 10 to 15 pounds I need to lose.

As an update: I haven't focused on eating a lot less, just cutting down here and there and exercising a ton, not to lose weight, but just for the well-being benefits.

We will see if it staves off my tendency towards metabolic syndrome with my next set of labs, or whether I will simply have to eat dainty little portions forever.
I'm doing Portfolio Diet - Dr. Steven Jenkins - because I have high cholesterol and even the maximum dose of statins is not enough - I waited to long to take action - getting healthy is a huge job at my age (66)
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Intermittent fasting:

https://youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer/videos

High amounts of meat (unprocessed, grass fed, organic etc.)

Low carbs, and little to no sugar.

Good fats: quality olive oil, grass fed butter, avocados, coconut, raw milk.

Take care of T the levels:

https://youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer/se ... stosterone

Enough sleep.

Heavy lifting and interval running.

But don’t work out too long and/or too often, because that would increase cortisol too much.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Haha

That guy’s awesome.

I found the purest potassium chloride I could find; but even so, I don’t quite trust that it’s not derived from an process that uses synthetic chemicals. I can’t find much online about it either. Plus I think you’d have to dump a lot of it into your water jug to get a significant amount of potassium.

(See here):

Therefore I just put about a half a teaspoon of food grade baking soda and about a teaspoon and a half of pink salt (make sure it’s not fake) per gallon of deionized water.

Then I just try to get magnesium and potassium from food sources.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I actually think diets are complete nonsense, for the most part. In fact particularly now that I am middle aged, I -know- they are BS.

Generally speaking if you talk to professionals in the know about diet, the advice doesn't differ much.

The problem is more that the behavior modification part of it is so difficult for me, not that I lack some certain technique, etc.

-Khunu Lama
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Intermittent fasting isn’t an diet like keto, paleo, vegan, etc., because it doesn’t dictate what you can or can’t eat.

It’s just something you do to get your body into fat burning mode, and is said to increase HGH levels.

Of course it would be best to combine intermittent fasting with a high protein/meat diet, with minimal carbs, minimal sugar, and with some of the ‘good fats’ mentioned above thrown in.

Calorie counting can be okay, but unnecessary if you’re doing intermittent fasting a good seventeen or eighteen hours or more a day. Many people who count calories, may lose some weight from restricting calorie intake; but they’re also harming their bodies by eating garbage like artificial flavors, preservatives, & colors, bunch of plants chock full of glyphosate, factory farmed meats, margarine, etc.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Sādhaka wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:31 am Intermittent fasting isn’t an diet like keto, paleo, vegan, etc., because it doesn’t dictate what you can or can’t eat.

It’s just something you do to get your body into fat burning mode, and is said to increase HGH levels.

Of course it would be best to combine intermittent fasting with a high protein/meat diet, with minimal carbs, minimal sugar, and with some of the ‘good fats’ mentioned above thrown in.

Calorie counting can be okay, but unnecessary if you’re doing intermittent fasting a good seventeen or eighteen hours or more a day. Many people who count calories, may lose some weight from restricting calorie intake; but they’re also harming their bodies by eating garbage like artificial flavors, preservatives, & colors, bunch of plants chock full of glyphosate, factory farmed meats, margarine, etc.

To be frank, no one's gonna tell me anything I haven't heard or read somewhere else on diet.

I'm approaching 43 and was involved in the world of alternative health for years, I have all kinds of people to advise me on diet, and I see an evidence-based naturopath for primary care.. I'm more interested in people's experiences with behavior modification at this point, especially with portioning.

-Khunu Lama
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Sādhaka wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:10 pm
Haha

That guy’s awesome.

I found the purest potassium chloride I could find; but even so, I don’t quite trust that it’s not derived from an process that uses synthetic chemicals. I can’t find much online about it either. Plus I think you’d have to dump a lot of it into your water jug to get a significant amount of potassium.

(See here):

[media]media[/media]

Therefore I just put about a half a teaspoon of food grade baking soda and about a teaspoon and a half of pink salt (make sure it’s not fake) per gallon of deionized water.

Then I just try to get magnesium and potassium from food sources.
Increasing your intake of potassium and magnesium to abnormally high levels will just screw with your body's ability to absorb other minerals (with magnesium it will effect calcium absorption) and since these minerals are water soluble, your body will just piss away the excess.

In other words: A waste of time, effort and money and the high likelihood of a negative health impact.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Punya

Post by Punya »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 am
Ayu wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:23 pm One has to change one's taste. Get used to healthy food, learn to avoid sugar, learn not to overeat,...
Don't bother too much about food...
:thumbsup:
Pretend you're diabetic and managing it with diet: no refined sugars, almost no refined starches.
Cut out white bread, white pasta, white rice, potatoes. Replace them with multigrain (and not to much of it), wholemeal pasta, brown rice (or quinoa), sweet potato (counter-inuitive, I know, but it's true).
Read diabetic cookbooks if you need substitute sweet stuff, but it's better and easier to just say "no" to desserts, sweet biscuits, etc, and eat fruit instead - or nothing.
Prepare your own food instead of buying take-out.

:stirthepot:
Kim
:good:

About two years ago my food sensitivities got seriously worse. I gradually worked out that sugar, in any form, was the main trigger. I've ended up following pretty much the diet is Kim is describing. Any time I consumed sugar I had to deal with some pretty unpleasant symptoms, so that kept me on track. I wouldn't say my diet was particularly bad previously, but I've now lost 10kg (22 pounds) and I'm close to my natural weight. I actually think I was addicted to carbs which the body, of course, converts to sugar. I'm now working with new naturopath to deal with the sensitivities. Even if she is able to sort my issues, I will be aiming to generally stick to the sugar free diet.

Punya
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:59 am
Sādhaka wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:31 am Intermittent fasting isn’t an diet like keto, paleo, vegan, etc., because it doesn’t dictate what you can or can’t eat.

To be frank, no one's gonna tell me anything I haven't heard or read somewhere else on diet.

I'm approaching 43 and was involved in the world of alternative health for years, I have all kinds of people to advise me on diet, and I see an evidence-based naturopath for primary care.. I'm more interested in people's experiences with behavior modification at this point, especially with portioning.

Have you tried the carnivore or raw carnivore diet though?

I did—combined with intermittent fasting—the raw carnivore diet for a week (and the only reason I stopped, is that it was time-consuming to gather everything I wanted for it; and kind of expensive); eating mainly raw beef, raw salmon, cod liver oil, grass fed butter, raw eggs, raw cheese, and raw milk.

Jordan Peterson isn’t bs-ing here (and he’s not even raw carnivore, as he pretty much eats only cooked steak):

:shock:
Last edited by Sādhaka on Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Grigoris wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:54 amIncreasing your intake of potassium and magnesium to abnormally high levels will just screw with your body's ability to absorb other minerals (with magnesium it will effect calcium absorption) and since these minerals are water soluble, your body will just piss away the excess.

In other words: A waste of time, effort and money and the high likelihood of a negative health impact.

What you say may be true, but I didn’t say anything about increasing them to abnormally high levels.

Most people from what I understand don’t get enough of either, and it’s not all that easy to get enough of both without supplementing them. But I think if you eat the right foods, you can get enough. And bananas actually aren’t the highest potassium food contrary to popular belief.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Sādhaka wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:50 pm Have you tried the carnivore or raw carnivore diet though?

I did—combined with intermittent fasting—the raw carnivore diet for a week (and the only reason I stopped, is that it was time-consuming to gather everything I wanted for it; and kind of expensive); eating mainly raw beef, raw salmon, cod liver oil, grass fed butter, raw eggs, raw cheese, and raw milk.

I don’t think Jordan Peterson is bs-ing here (and he’s not even raw carnivore, as he pretty much eats only cooked steak):

:shock:
Quite frankly I can't imagine anything more unhealthy and dangerous in the trends as carnivore diet. It will kill off huge amounts of your gut flora that feed on fiber, replace it flora feeding on animal products and that releases quite harmful things into the body. Not to mention it must be a hard time to get everything just from meat, also lack of fiber, too much fat, etc. Yes it leads to fat loss, however at what cost.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”