boring questions about losing weight

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: boring questions about losing weight

Post by DNS »

Rick wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:58 pm Sounds very ascetic to me. I'm guessing only a small % of humans could manage it. For a nosher with a tendency to low blood sugar like me it would be nigh unto impossible!

Did you have a hard time getting used to it? Do you ever have a hard time staying on it? (Do you cheat? ;-) )
Correct, it may not work with those with diabetes or blood sugar requirements.

Yes, it took a while to get used to, which is why I was over-weight the first few years on the One-Meal plan. And yes, I did cheat, eating some crackers or snacks at night on occasions. But now, I don't cheat at all, eat around 2,000 calories (large meal, but not too large) or so and maintain my ideal weight.
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

DNS wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:12 pm
Rick wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:58 pm Sounds very ascetic to me. I'm guessing only a small % of humans could manage it. For a nosher with a tendency to low blood sugar like me it would be nigh unto impossible!

Did you have a hard time getting used to it? Do you ever have a hard time staying on it? (Do you cheat? ;-) )
Correct, it may not work with those with diabetes or blood sugar requirements.

Yes, it took a while to get used to, which is why I was over-weight the first few years on the One-Meal plan. And yes, I did cheat, eating some crackers or snacks at night on occasions. But now, I don't cheat at all, eat around 2,000 calories (large meal, but not too large) or so and maintain my ideal weight.
Very curious how one has a single meal of 2k cal but it not be large, that's huge! What's the meal you eat? The only way I can fathom it being possible is lots of fatty meat.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

mechashivaz wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:27 pm Very curious how one has a single meal of 2k cal but it not be large, that's huge! What's the meal you eat? The only way I can fathom it being possible is lots of fatty meat.
I don't know for sure the calorie count, since I don't count calories. :D You'd be surprised how fast the calories can add up (which may be why so many are overweight now). A couple of slices of bread is around 200 to 260 calories. A single bagel is around 300 to 400 calories. And then when you start adding things like falafel or other protein, mayonnaise, salad dressing, etc, the calories can shoot through the roof.

No meat, I'm vegetarian, but lots of tofu, salad, hummus, rice or sometimes veggie burger, stir-fry tofu with veggies or veggie sushi/nori rolls (no fish).
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

postage stamp rule:

dont eat garbage, move your body
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

When i was about 30, i lost 30 pounds in 4 months. I ate anything i wanted (a trick i use on myself...then i didn't want to eat bad stuff). I drank lots of water (had to be in a fancy crystal glass). I worked out at a gym (all the machines/all body parts), for an hour every day. Took a sauna every day. Rode my bike everyday. Did a hundred sit-ups, every evening. Danced almost every day (on top of the coffee table....mostly to FUNK).

My motivation : I was in love & wanted to look good for him.
I weighed 110 pounds when i was done/couldn't pinch an inch.

ALSO...I WASN'T WORKING THEN, SO I HAD THE TIME AND ENERGY TO DO THIS !!!

Being in love is the only thing that ever motivated me.
I haven't been in love for decades now....
I also need to lose weight...

:crying:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Lukeinaz wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:18 pm postage stamp rule:

dont eat garbage, move your body
Postage stamp? I already eat well, and like I said in the first post, I get a lot of heavy exercise. I don't feel like my problem has much to do with what I eat, but with the fact that my metabolism is slowing down so quickly that it feels unnatural to eat the smaller amounts that I likely should.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

When I was feeling better I would do a 15-20 mn . Power walk inside the house taking sharp corners doing boxing motions and flapping my
arms like a bird..It is a great cardio and burns many Cal's.twice a day kept me fit.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Ayu wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:23 pm One has to change one's taste. Get used to healthy food, learn to avoid sugar, learn not to overeat,...
Don't bother too much about food...
:thumbsup:
Pretend you're diabetic and managing it with diet: no refined sugars, almost no refined starches.
Cut out white bread, white pasta, white rice, potatoes. Replace them with multigrain (and not to much of it), wholemeal pasta, brown rice (or quinoa), sweet potato (counter-inuitive, I know, but it's true).
Read diabetic cookbooks if you need substitute sweet stuff, but it's better and easier to just say "no" to desserts, sweet biscuits, etc, and eat fruit instead - or nothing.
Prepare your own food instead of buying take-out.

:stirthepot:
Kim
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Eat for your target body weight.

Calculate your BMI. If it is 30 or above you have basically 30% body fat (this is not a linear relationship though and the association is weak but a BMI >= 30 can be taken as 30% body fat although a BMI of 24 may in fact be 12% body fat depending on the body and body type).

Assuming a BMI > 15:
Determine your target weight : W * (1 - (BMI - 15)/100)
Assuming a weight of 225 and a BMI of 30 : 225 * (1-.15) = 191

You have to lose 34 pounds. You could exercise this off but you still have to watch your caloric intake.

191 lbs = 86.8 kg
Multiplying the kg value by 20 = 1736 calories per day

Most people would see this as drastic calorie restriction (I wouldn't, for me). You could also just drop weight by eating 500 calories less per day form wherever you are now. At the end of the month you will have lost 4 lbs (1 lb = 3600 calories).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I'm trying to do the hand portion thing for now. Having trouble giving up my snack, so I'm making it smaller and eating less for meals.

-Khunu Lama
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

A diet heavy in meat and green veggies coupled with heavy resistance training will get you lean and ripped fast.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:47 pm I'm trying to do the hand portion thing for now. Having trouble giving up my snack, so I'm making it smaller and eating less for meals.
Clarence Bass and others have pointed out that most people cannot maintain that kind of calorie restriction (of course it depends, maybe you are eating a handful of vegetables 10 times a day - if it's a handful of macadamia nuts 10x's a day you'll still gain weight).

Bass, now in his 80's and still lifting weights and working out, posted an overview of an interesting study focusing on volume intake rather than caloric value. People who were able to maintain a feeling of the same volume of food they were used to but with lower calorie content were able to lose weight.

https://www.cbass.com/volumetrics.htm
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

As I understand it we have to be in KETOSIS in order to burn fat. That means the muscles have to be glycogen depleted.

Combine fasting, low carb and High intensity interval training for awesome success!

This link helps explain because I'm too lazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bodies
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

DharmaN00b wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:16 pm As I understand it we have to be in KETOSIS in order to burn fat. That means the muscles have to be glycogen depleted.

Combine fasting, low carb and High intensity interval training for awesome success!

Ketosis is switching body's main fuel source to fats and most who do so are in a caloric deficit; it doesn't mean fat isn't lost if one is not in ketosis. (Not sure if that's what you implied)

If you're working out and you're glycogen depleted you'll not perform nearly as well and risk for injury is increased. Especially during a prolonged fast one should not engage in hiit at all.

Ideally one wants to eat as much as possible but still be in a caloric deficit over a long period of time while regularly working out.
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

mechashivaz wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:09 pm
DharmaN00b wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:16 pm As I understand it we have to be in KETOSIS in order to burn fat. That means the muscles have to be glycogen depleted.

Ketosis is switching body's main fuel source to fats and most who do so are in a caloric deficit; it doesn't mean fat isn't lost if one is not in ketosis. (Not sure if that's what you implied)

If you're working out and you're glycogen depleted you'll not perform nearly as well and risk for injury is increased. Especially during a prolonged fast one should not engage in hiit at all.

Ideally one wants to eat as much as possible but still be in a caloric deficit over a long period of time while regularly working out.
First point: Why would your body use emergency supplies (fats) when you have a surplus of glycogen?

Second point: I agree, but going low calorie short term and choosing a low risk repetitive exercise (Eg: punching a bag really fast) would not result in injury.

Third point: Agreed. Foods with high fiber content will release energy slowly and result in a healthy gut biome. High fiber, low calorie foods will fill your stomach too.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Miroku wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:08 pm I really enjoyed a book called "Buddha's diet". It is basically 16/8 intermittent fasting but from a buddhist perspective. Quite a nice read and also great form of eating to stay healthy I'd say.
I was going to suggest this, as well. I generally don't eat until noon and stop between 6 and 8 pm. I do this for family reasons, so I can eat with my family. I really feel better when I keep this schedule consistently.

_/|\_
Keith
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

My Doctor recommended intermittent fasting, but I have to say, I feel like it would only be possible for me on days where I do no activity, which is not many. Despite being a little tubby, i'm really physically active and it seems like that would really be a problem with fast days. Still, I may just try his advice and fast, or mostly fast on the couple days a week where I am less active.

-Khunu Lama
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

By no means an expert but I believe it is possible to change your metabolism. That's the theory underlying Atkins and Paleo diets.

You do need to go through a pretty serious reset period.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Quickly looked at the thread and didn't see it mentioned. What do you eat?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Type it in on google. What you get.

Eat Plenty of Protein at Every Meal. Eating food can increase your metabolism for a few hours. ...
Drink More Cold Water. ...
Do a High-Intensity Workout. ...
Lift Heavy Things. ...
Stand up More. ...
Drink Green Tea or Oolong Tea. ...
Eat Spicy Foods. ...
Get a Good Night's Sleep.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”