boring questions about losing weight

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Sādhaka

Re: boring questions about losing weight

Post by Sādhaka »

KeithA wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:03 pm Check out the Obesity Code, by Dr. Fung. Pretty compelling, to me at least.

Interesting. I just noticed that Dr. Fung is sometimes featured on Dr. Paul Mason’s channel that I posted above.

No single one of these guys has all the puzzle pieces; for example the Snake Diet guy mentioned by Madhusudan a few posts back has a video about how the keto diet is catabolic as f*#k.

And I posted a video from Frank Tufano a couple posts back who has some interesting material.

I also posted videos from Thomas Delauer earlier in this thread.

Dr. Paul Saladino is interesting too:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCgBg0LcHfn ... 7Pw/videos

And Primal Edge Health:

https://youtube.com/user/PrimalEdgeHealth/videos
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

But it can be time-consuming and expensive depending on where you live, to get everything that you need for a raw carnivore diet; perhaps partially by design due to the vegan agenda and the monsanto/factory-farming agenda.

The only reason I can see for veganism or fruitarianism would be for a short time that is in preparation for a long term nearing-the-end-of-the-Path Dzogchen retreat for weaning oneself off of food completely. And even then, there may be some dairy involved; I’m not sure.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Orson Welles tried the Paul Masson diet, to no avail. It could work, though! :D

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

I do intermittent feasting since more or less half a year.
Breakfast, lunch, full stop.
This is very relieving and it has an indirect effect on my food's composition too since chocolate and chips (crisps for the Brits) come in the evening.

I didn't lose a single gram and sometimes it's socially awkward when meeting with friends in the evening. Eating together is a very social habit.

And yet I continue with that for two reasons: organs have a time off during the later day. Meditation lifts to some other level, and so does sleep and dream. my whole embodiment feels lighter - though the scales don't show.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa »

I have been doing intermittent fasts continuously for more than 20 years now.
I eat only once a day (every day except weekends) and feel no hunger during the day.

I am now 60 years old and have the same weight I had when I was 20.
The worst kind of illness I have ever had in my life has been seasonal colds, but I do not get even those
every year.

The key to losing weight is insulin. Eating carbs and also milk and dairy spike the insulin level whereby insulin
makes the body convert sugar into fat and store it.
This causes besides obesity the beginning of metabolic disease and diabetes (among others).
If you eat (almost) no carbs, moderate amounts of proteins, than you can eat any amount of (healthy) fats and
you will still lose weight. This is because your metabolism changes into ketosis and fat burning (these two are not the same!)

Eating a ketogenic diet gives you the freedom to choose to eat or not, whenever you want or feel like. Maintaining a lifestyle eating only once a day is completely effortless this way.
Of course you will eat with a good appetite, but without that compelling kind of hunger you get when you eat carbs.
justsit

Post by justsit »

tatpurusa wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:38 pm I have been doing intermittent fasts continuously for more than 20 years now.
I eat only once a day (every day except weekends) and feel no hunger during the day.

I am now 60 years old and have the same weight I had when I was 20....
You didn't mention, but I am assuming you are not vegetarian?

Also assuming from your post that you started the ketogenic diet when you were 40 years old?

Just curious - were you exposed to Western dietary habits as a child? Also, do you do yoga?
Thanks
tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa »

justsit wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:05 pm
You didn't mention, but I am assuming you are not vegetarian?
No, I am omnivorous.
I used to be vegetarian (but not vegan) between 25-35 years old.
Also assuming from your post that you started the ketogenic diet when you were 40 years old?
Yes, about that time. By that time I already had extensive experience with fasting - I did my first (four weeks long) fast when I was
14 years old. I used to do a two weeks fast once or twice a year every year.
Through my experience with fasting I discovered the body-mind feeling of being in ketosis. I discovered that just by mentally deciding
in the morning that I wanted to fast my body almost immediately made the switch and I did not get hungry that day.
This is what gave me the idea to try to eat only once daily. At that time there was no literature at all about intermittent fasting, I discovered
it by myself. I stayed that way because I felt that it was doing me good and I felt really great living that way.
Just curious - were you exposed to Western dietary habits as a child?
Yes - traditional Western diet that our grandfathers used to eat. It included no canned food and no industrially processed, chemically treated food.
At that time where I grew up we cooked everything with pork fat (a lot of it), a lot of hot spices and no vegetable oils.
We almost never ate at restaurants at that time, cooked our own food.
Even today I eat at the most once a month in a restaurant (rather less). I prefer to know what the food is cooked with that I eat.
Also, do you do yoga?
Yes. I began practicing yoga when I was 14 years old. It has helped me to develop the habit of listening to my body.
It is still helping me a lot though I do not really practice regularly.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

weitsicht wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:14 am I do intermittent feasting since more or less half a year.
Breakfast, lunch, full stop.
This is very relieving and it has an indirect effect on my food's composition too since chocolate and chips (crisps for the Brits) come in the evening.

I didn't lose a single gram and sometimes it's socially awkward when meeting with friends in the evening. Eating together is a very social habit.

And yet I continue with that for two reasons: organs have a time off during the later day. Meditation lifts to some other level, and so does sleep and dream. my whole embodiment feels lighter - though the scales don't show.
That's because you're still doing one meal too many. :tongue: Theravada has a long history of supporting/recommending just one meal a day. See this long thread over at DWT:
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3045
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

tatpurusa wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:38 pm I have been doing intermittent fasts continuously for more than 20 years now.
:thumbsup:

See the thread I posted to above over at DWT. I've been doing one meal a day for a long time too and maintain my ideal weight doing so, even though I eat a fairly large meal for the one meal at around lunch time.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

DNS wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:09 am

See the thread I posted to above over at DWT. I've been doing one meal a day for a long time too and maintain my ideal weight doing so, even though I eat a fairly large meal for the one meal at around lunch time.

Yep, it’s not about counting calories. It’s about giving your body a break from eating 3 to 6 meals an day spiking your insulin response all day which is horrible.

If you for example would eat 5,000 calories a day in a two to four hour window; that would be much better than eating 2,500 calories an day by eating/snacking all damn day. The only exception to the latter would be if you’re super active, like a professional swimmer; in which case you would probably be eating 5,000 calories a day and be eating at least 2 meals a day, just because intense swimming burns calories like crazy.

If you’re sedentary or working out at the gym with medium-to-high intensity at most, a few times a week; then there’s no need to eat all day and spike your insulin response all day.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Interesting. I suppose bodies are different.

I'm a grazer, rarely eat what others would call "a meal," total maybe 1200cal/day. Been vegetarian for 37 years with a tiny bit of lacto/ovo, do some cardio-type exercise daily, do yoga, physically active at home (gardening, moving firewood, etc). My body type is the long, lean muscle known as ectomorph. I weigh the same as I did in high school 50 years ago. So far very fortunate to have no major health issues, labwork is good.

Friends and family often ask me what I eat, what exercise I do, etc. I always tell them that what works for me may not work for them, so they should listen to their own bodies. I would never expect anyone else to conform to my routine.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Sādhaka wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:02 am
DNS wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:09 am

Yep, it’s not about counting calories. It’s about giving your body a break from eating 3 to 6 meals an day spiking your insulin response all day which is horrible.

If you for example would eat 5,000 calories a day in a two to four hour window; that would be much better than eating 2,500 calories an day by eating/snacking all damn day. The only exception to the latter would be if you’re super active, like a professional swimmer; in which case you would probably be eating 5,000 calories a day and be eating at least 2 meals a day, just because intense swimming burns calories like crazy.

If you’re sedentary or working out at the gym with medium-to-high intensity at most, a few times a week; then there’s no need to eat all day and spike your insulin response all day.
I agree. I have to lose weight and I tried a special* form of intermittent fasts since January. I lost 16 pounds until now, but even more important: this kind of diet makes me feel very good.

*I have a healthy moderate breakfast in the morning and then whithin 7 hours a lunch. Afterwards, the next 16 hours are fasting. In the evening sometimes I'm very hungry. But I know next morning the hunger will be vanished. This hunger is nothing I have to take care of, it's best to ignore it.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

tombstone.jpg
tombstone.jpg (300.4 KiB) Viewed 3626 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:03 pmtombstone.jpg
Exactly.
Though the original question was not really about whether we ever die or not. I am not sure a thread with such a topic would ever take off.
It was rather something like: how can we best lose weight? (.. and have a "lighter" death :mrgreen: , eventually ...)

The bones, I guess, have about the same weight in both cases after that ominous fact - and this is a lasting effect, for thousands or even millions of years.
So your point might be: the best way of losing weight is getting below earth?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I can fast occasionally, but I find that my energy levels plummet so low that doing it regularly seems unlikely. I may try again at my doctor's suggestion. There is also no way I could exercise the way I do (on days I do this) without eating a fair amount.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:25 pm I can fast occasionally, but I find that my energy levels plummet so low that doing it regularly seems unlikely. I may try again at my doctor's suggestion. There is also no way I could exercise the way I do (on days I do this) without eating a fair amount.
I try to eat well (although I do eat some sweets, fried food, carbohydrates, lots of fruit, milk products, etc...) and exercise like a mufu so my weight to height ratio is perfect at 50 years of age. I take small amounts of amino acids and whey protein on my hard days.

But ultimately it is all about "calories in" vs "calories out".

You don't need to be shredded. Truth is that the only time I was ever shredded was when I did a short experiment with steroid supplementation (plus all the normal supplements). I was shredded but I developed severe tendinitis in my forearms, destroyed my knee, had searing kidney pain and wrecked my shoulder. Screw that!

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

I took diet and exercise to extremes when I was younger because I was unable to listen to my body now I hear it better and have to tune it in a bit. My wife is a meal a day person and it works for her. I find set, setting and how engaged I am effect my eating habits and hate to admit I still suffer from food craving a bit. Thankfully my behaviors have been more mindful and corrective in light of it. Can I blame the laws of declining returns experienced with age? :rolling:
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:42 pmI try to eat well (although I do eat some sweets, fried food, carbohydrates, lots of fruit, milk products, etc...) and exercise like a mufu so my weight to height ratio is perfect at 50 years of age. I take small amounts of amino acids and whey protein on my hard days.

This is all good, seemingly for you. However some people maybe can or can’t workout very much, and have all kinds of inflammatory, weight, or blood sugar issues. They would benefit greatly from a combination of at least two of the following at least until their health greatly improves:

Fasting, intermittent-fasting, a carnivore diet, or keto diet. Removing sugar, carbs (or at least drastically reducing them), and maybe even remove plants for at least a while to see what happens, because research is beginning to show that the antinutrients found in plants are contributing to inflammation (see Paul Saladino MD).

But ultimately it is all about "calories in" vs "calories out".

Maybe for some apparently, but Dr. Jason Fung disagrees in general (he addresses that very motto in the following video):

You don't need to be shredded. Truth is that the only time I was ever shredded was when I did a short experiment with steroid supplementation (plus all the normal supplements). I was shredded but I developed severe tendinitis in my forearms, destroyed my knee, had searing kidney pain and wrecked my shoulder. Screw that!

Sure.

I think that working out regularly can help most people; but I also think that diet is more important than getting shredded.

Anyhow, I’ve personally started doing fasting, carnivore or primal, intermittent-fasting, etc., because it undeniably gives me more physical energy, stronger feeling teeth, evens out my mood, and I feel less attachment.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Sādhaka wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:35 amThis is all good, seemingly for you. However some people maybe can or can’t workout very much, and have all kinds of inflammatory, weight, or blood sugar issues. They would benefit greatly from a combination of at least two of the following at least until their health greatly improves:
So you have finally admitted that these types of diets are for specific medical conditions. Bravo. At last.
Sure.

I think that working out regularly can help most people; but I also think that diet is more important than getting shredded.
Working out regularly is the answer to 90% of common health problems.
there’s one youtube guy...
There are all sorts of wacko nut jobs on youtube.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

as it seems to work for my wife, intake limited to a window of time, limits craving outside of that window so it might have physiological disciplinarian benefits that not everyone requires but many seem to benefit from

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”