boring questions about losing weight

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Sādhaka

Re: boring questions about losing weight

Post by Sādhaka »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:55 am So you have finally admitted that these types of diets are for specific medical conditions. Bravo. At last.

Not exactly.

If you read the final paragraphs in my previous post, I specifically stated that I do not have any overt health issues (actually I think that I edited this specific part out, because it lead to the mentioned youtube video that I deleted from that post); and that ‘these types of diets’ have made me feel stronger, more energetic, and more relaxed. Anecdotal? Sure. But thousands of people are reporting similar results; whereas they felt like crap, sluggish, and inflamed, on a SAD (Standard American Diet) diet with the bullshit “food pyramid” (of Swedish origin apparently).

Working out regularly is the answer to 90% of common health problems.

Possibly. But I still think that diet is way overlooked in western ‘modern’ ‘medicine’.

There are all sorts of wacko nut jobs on youtube.

Of course. In fact I edited-out the video that I’d posted about “symptoms”. The said guy isn’t necessarily wacko or nuts. He’s clearly a pretty smart guy, and makes good points; but I think he’s full of himself and possibly an charlatan.

Dr. Jason Fung however, is a actual doctor, seems sincere, and his videos like the one I posted a couple posts back are worth checking out.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

tkp67 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:02 am as it seems to work for my wife, intake limited to a window of time, limits craving outside of that window so it might have physiological disciplinarian benefits that not everyone requires but many seem to benefit from

Like I said in my above post, anecdotal.

However when thousands of people are starting to report similar positive results; then perhaps the anecdotal begins to be impossible to ignore.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Sādhaka wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:12 am
tkp67 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:02 am as it seems to work for my wife, intake limited to a window of time, limits craving outside of that window so it might have physiological disciplinarian benefits that not everyone requires but many seem to benefit from

Like I said in my above post, anecdotal.

However when thousands of people are starting to report similar positive results; then perhaps the anecdotal begins to be impossible to ignore.
Absolutely but I was really speaking more to the nuance that even if there is no empirical data regarding fasting as a metabolism tweak it may be an exercise in behavior that reduces physical cravings.

Perhaps for one person using the body vigorously maintain balance and for another reducing cravings through dietary disciple is another

Adherents to both camps are sold on the results so I don't get how personal incompatibility becomes "dogmatic" so quickly and then if I think about it I do because I am not less guilty much of the time.

I don't know if I vocalize as much before the thought arises though but they still arise as often as I do.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Sādhaka wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:08 amPossibly. But I still think that diet is way overlooked in western ‘modern’ ‘medicine’.
I disagree. There is plenty of info and evidence out there about diet, but it is almost always applied therapeutically, when somebody already has developed a problem.
Of course. In fact I edited-out the video that I’d posted about “symptoms”. The said guy isn’t necessarily wacko or nuts. He’s clearly a pretty smart guy, and makes good points; but I think he’s full of himself and possibly an charlatan.

Dr. Jason Fung however, is a actual doctor, seems sincere, and his videos like the one I posted a couple posts back are worth checking out.
Just because you are smart, does not mean you are not crazy. :smile: There are plenty of crazy doctors out there too.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:42 pm You don't need to be shredded. Truth is that the only time I was ever shredded was when I did a short experiment with steroid supplementation (plus all the normal supplements). I was shredded but I developed severe tendinitis in my forearms, destroyed my knee, had searing kidney pain and wrecked my shoulder. Screw that!

One very important lesson I learned (one that I'd like to share at large) is that the recovery of the muscles far outstrips the recovery of the tendons and ligaments. Some trainees, due to lifestyle or choice, cram all the volume into one or very few gym session a week, so the performance gains are largely dependent on going up a weight class (ie bodybuilding). Again, the problem with this approach is an uneven recovery between muscle and connective tissue, but also the high volume weakens the body. Of course bodybuilders circumvent this 'problem' by becoming a massive resource sink and also doing spinning, cardio and/or high reps light machine work in between, which helps to reduce recovery imbalance by nourishing the connective tissues better.

Now factor in age and the resource in/out equation becomes a little more problematic. Of course most folks aren't going for 'adonis superdude'. For many gym is time is 'steady-as-she-goes' mainly machines, and a few half squats at bodyweight (which arguably isn't training without perceptible performance increases).

Anyway, higher frequency training with medium volume (low reps) interspersed with lower intensity spinning and high rep machine work offers an economical and sensible alternative (to stress in one shot) for those who choose to do so. It's a win win for the masters athelete supplemented or not.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:42 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:25 pm I can fast occasionally, but I find that my energy levels plummet so low that doing it regularly seems unlikely. I may try again at my doctor's suggestion. There is also no way I could exercise the way I do (on days I do this) without eating a fair amount.
I try to eat well (although I do eat some sweets, fried food, carbohydrates, lots of fruit, milk products, etc...) and exercise like a mufu so my weight to height ratio is perfect at 50 years of age. I take small amounts of amino acids and whey protein on my hard days.

But ultimately it is all about "calories in" vs "calories out".

You don't need to be shredded. Truth is that the only time I was ever shredded was when I did a short experiment with steroid supplementation (plus all the normal supplements). I was shredded but I developed severe tendinitis in my forearms, destroyed my knee, had searing kidney pain and wrecked my shoulder. Screw that!
I exercise to keep myself functional, doing martial arts, and for the emotional regulation. I'm a big guy already and have never felt the need to be shredded, so I usually do HIIT training type stuff, and have only recently began tooling around with weights again.

That said, I still just eat too much for my metabolism, I've come tor realize my problem is really just my attachment to delicious food.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

DNS wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:07 am
weitsicht wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:14 am I do intermittent feasting since more or less half a year.
Breakfast, lunch, full stop.
This is very relieving and it has an indirect effect on my food's composition too since chocolate and chips (crisps for the Brits) come in the evening.

I didn't lose a single gram and sometimes it's socially awkward when meeting with friends in the evening. Eating together is a very social habit.

And yet I continue with that for two reasons: organs have a time off during the later day. Meditation lifts to some other level, and so does sleep and dream. my whole embodiment feels lighter - though the scales don't show.
That's because you're still doing one meal too many. :tongue: Theravada has a long history of supporting/recommending just one meal a day. See this long thread over at DWT:
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3045
Not sure about that, my dear friend. Being a woman one meal only may have disturbing impacts on the hormone System and other feminie cyclicities.
I think the right answer (for me) is patience. It's one KG actually, in 4 months…
(and cutting a little further on carbohydrates)

Kindly send my and Injera recipe (or link) via PN. Thanks!

I took the leisure to snip a bit through this thread at Dhammawheel -46 pages - ghosh! Didn't find much informative there, mainly chatting of controversaries and like-minded. I btw googled that Alan guy - some diet consideration would have done him well in all these years I dare to say…
Oh, one thing. that eating cheese (because it's like ghee) after lunch is accepted, drinking milk not (and no-one contested that) - that was funny!
Is this kind of fasting applicable to the TB / are the eight precepts as a whole applicable to TB?
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
rory

Post by rory »

weitsicht wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Not sure about that, my dear friend. Being a woman one meal only may have disturbing impacts on the hormone System and other feminie cyclicities.
I think the right answer (for me) is patience. It's one KG actually, in 4 months…

Kindly send my and Injera recipe (or link)

I took the leisure to snip a bit through this thread at Dhammawheel -46 pages - ghosh! Didn't find much informative there, mainly chatting of controversaries and like-minded. I btw googled that Alan guy - some diet consideration would have done him well in all these years I dare to say…
I'm a woman past 55, 157 cm and weigh 45.8 kilos. Since I am short I have been careful of my weight since I stopped growing and only gained and lost a few kilos. Diets may help kickstart some weight loss but truly the only thing that works is real lifestyle change.
I am basically 80% vegan. I treat myself once a month to whatever I want (and subsequently don't want it as much) I eat fish and carbohydrates, and rarely meat.
Basically issues for most people are portion control and calories. cheese and dairy have lots of fat calories and low benefit. I rarely use butter, mostly olive oil, peanut oil, avocado and nut butters.
I eat tofu, beans, 0 fat Greek yogurt, whole grains, fish, vegetables. If I eat lunch it might be fruit and a low calorie veggie burger or seitan (very low calories). I love dessert but avoid it, I'll buy a tasty yeast bread (Challah) and first rate jam and enjoy that as breakfast/snack. If I have a big day I eat a high-protein breakfast cereal.
I do mild exercise; streching yoga 1x and a brisk walk 2x a day. I'd like to add swimming, but that's it. I take a multi-vitamin, iron and calcium and am in excellent health. If you have any questions I'm happy to give you specific answers. I know also about calories/vitamins in lean meats: bison,emu...
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

weitsicht wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm Not sure about that, my dear friend. Being a woman one meal only may have disturbing impacts on the hormone System and other feminie cyclicities.
Correct, some may need to make some adjustments due to hormone impacts and also blood sugar levels for those with diabetes, etc. One could do a one large meal followed by short snacks, but of course best to check with your physician.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

weitsicht wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm Kindly send my and Injera recipe (or link) via PN. Thanks!
Glad you like injera. It is very good and healthy. It's main ingredient is teff flour, which is much healthier than regular flour. Here is a recipe I found online, it's fairly simple, once you can find teff flour, that is.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/foo ... ad-3364733

The trick is to get those small little craters or 'eyes' in the bread and then you know you're doing it right, with the right consistency of ingredients and cooking time.

Nutritional value:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teff#Nutritional_value
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Jack Dorsey, founder of Twitter is another fan of one meal a day.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/08/twitter ... abits.html

His 11 wellness habits include:

Meditating twice a day.
Eating one meal per day on weekdays.
Fasting all weekend.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Well now it’s not cool anymore. :ugeek:

I’m over it now (except for ‘meditating’ at least twice day).

:D

rory

Post by rory »

Oy, because of twitter (that cesspool), it's good? Instead why not look at the medical data on 2 NIH long term studies of Seventh Day Adventists here:
https://publichealth.llu.edu/adventist-health-studies Adventists are a 19th century Christian sect that promotes veganism, think Kellogg. They are especially interesting as about 1/2 in the study were omnivores, 8% vegan, the rest varieties of vegetarian etc..Also approx 30% of the study are African-American so it's extremely important and worthwhile.

Anyway I've loved their cookbooks since the '80's and they promote three meals; big breakfast, smaller lunch, supper dinner. My father ate 3 meals a day, pesco-vegan lived to 92, fit, mentally alert and in fine health. You don't have to starve yourself, it's uneccessary.

Adventists also have a large amount of cenetarians: scroll down to Loma Linda
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... blue-zones
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

DNS wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 pm
weitsicht wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm Kindly send my and Injera recipe (or link) via PN. Thanks!
Glad you like injera. It is very good and healthy. It's main ingredient is teff flour, which is much healthier than regular flour. Here is a recipe I found online, it's fairly simple, once you can find teff flour, that is.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/foo ... ad-3364733

The trick is to get those small little craters or 'eyes' in the bread and then you know you're doing it right, with the right consistency of ingredients and cooking time.

Nutritional value:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teff#Nutritional_value
I am automatically redirected to .co.uk and they don't have the recipe.
Can you send me the text please?
I know how good injera tastes like, so that is a good starting Point -hehe.
Teff is not millet and you also say it shouldn't be substituted, Right?
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

weitsicht wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:12 am I am automatically redirected to .co.uk and they don't have the recipe.
Can you send me the text please?

Ingredients
2 cups teff flour
1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 cup self-rising flour
Kosher salt

Directions

Combine the teff flour and active dry yeast in a large bowl. Add 2 cups lukewarm water and whisk or, more traditionally, use your hand to mix everything together, making sure the mixture is absolutely smooth with no lumps. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature until the mixture is bubbly and tastes sour like tangy yogurt, 36 to 48 hours. (It will start bubbling and rising in a matter of hours, but it can take anywhere from 36 to 48 hours to achieve a noticeable level of sourness, which is key to the flavor of the injera; see Cook's Note.) After about 36 hours, begin tasting the mixture; this will help you determine when it's just right and will help prevent it from souring too much.

At this point, the batter will look separated and watery on top. If you shake the bowl a little, you should see some bubbles rising to the top. Add the self-rising flour and up to 1 cup of water a little at a time. Whisk or use your hand to thoroughly combine into a smooth, thin, pourable mixture with about the consistency of a slightly thicker crepe batter. Cover again and let sit for 1 hour.

Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for a few minutes. Have a lid for the skillet and a wire baking rack nearby. Whisk 1 teaspoon salt into the batter (it will bubble up). Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet, tilting and swirling to coat with a thin layer of batter. The batter should spread quickly and easily. (If it's too thick, whisk in a little more water.) Within a matter of seconds, you should start seeing small holes forming and the surface darkening as it cooks from the outside towards the center. When the injera is about 3/4 of the way cooked, cover the skillet and let steam for 1 minute. The injera is cooked when the edges are dry and lifting up from the pan. Carefully run a spatula underneath and transfer to the baking rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining batter.

You can stack the injera only when they are completely cooled; otherwise, they will stick to each other. Wrap the stack of cooled injera with a dry, clean cloth or paper towels to keep them from drying out until ready to serve. Serve at room temperature, or microwave for 30 seconds to heat through.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I know how good injera tastes like, so that is a good starting Point -hehe.
Teff is not millet and you also say it shouldn't be substituted, Right?
The injera-purists insist on Teff flour, but you can use other flours. Most Ethiopian restaurants use pure teff or some mixture of regular flour with teff.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”