Memory - improvement techniques

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
PSM

Memory - improvement techniques

Post by PSM »

I have a really poor memory, specifically moving things from short term to long term memory. Recalling names is also strangely difficult. I think one of the major things causing this was medication I was (unfortunately) on years ago which had a very negative impact on my memory. In any case, I don't think you can have a memory which is too good. And anyway, it obviously aids dharma practice massively.

I would really appreciate memory improvement techniques, Buddhist, Hindu and otherwise. Obviously the Indian traditions have a long history of memory feats, including the preservation of Buddhists sutras as an oral tradition. It would be great to learn some of the memory techniques used for this. One I seem to remember from somewhere (Dr Thurman maybe) where young monks would recite passages of text together, but each would be reciting a different text - keeping focussed on their own text while everyone else is acting as a noisy distraction greatly increased focus and recall. Then there are practices based around deities like Manjushri or Saraswati.

As for nutrition, I have personally benefitted from fish oil and lion's mane mushroom powder, the latter having a noticeable effect on recall.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Memory - improvement techniques

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I am very oldschool and I think good old learning by heart could be of help. Try memorizing prayers or buddhist poetry. Try very pithy instructions or haikus at first and slowly move on to longer ones.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
PSM

Post by PSM »

Miroku wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:46 pm I am very oldschool and I think good old learning by heart could be of help. Try memorizing prayers or buddhist poetry. Try very pithy instructions or haikus at first and slowly move on to longer ones.
Rote memorisation definitely works as a memory improvement technique. And it used to be an integral part of a traditional western school education (times tables etc.). It would be great to learn the traditional dharma-related memorisation methods. I know rhyming or rhythmic text is one method.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

PSM wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:00 pm
Miroku wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:46 pm I am very oldschool and I think good old learning by heart could be of help. Try memorizing prayers or buddhist poetry. Try very pithy instructions or haikus at first and slowly move on to longer ones.
Rote memorisation definitely works as a memory improvement technique. And it used to be an integral part of a traditional western school education (times tables etc.). It would be great to learn the traditional dharma-related memorisation methods. I know rhyming or rhythmic text is one method.
It is the basic one, yeah. When it has rhymes or a melody then it is easier to memorize. Plus I think there is a certain benefit in remembering these things and being able to recite them. I honestly would start with some really short quotations, then maybe a short vajra song and have a goal memorizing a heart sutra with traditional melody/rythm used in zen chanting, or sth like that.

But then ofc you can also be more practical and learn a new language that could help too I think. Movement is important for memory too.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Motova

Post by Motova »

Giving up sensory desire is probably the best.

You want to start living in your mind's eye or sense consciousnesses. You have two choices: artificial memory techniques and natural memory techniques. Artificial techniques essentially have you construct and encode information using the sense consciousnesses. Natural techniques essentially have you walk it back using emotional and conceptual or sensory bridges to connect information and events.

Learn your Yidam's artistic measurements, your astrological system, and Tibetan phonetics if you're a Vajrayana practitioner.

It would be great if you could master the jnanas....

Dharma is the best memory improvement system.

Finally, the more you memorize the easier it is to memorize.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Many people find that it can be beneficial to combine your memorisation with physical activity - Tibetan monks pace up and down whilst reciting a text out loud when memorising. I also have a terrible memory but I managed to memorise my daily prayers by recording them into an mp3 file which I would then listen to and join in with whilst walking to work each day - after 4 or 5 days they stuck.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
PSM

Post by PSM »

Motova wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 pm You want to start living in your mind's eye or sense consciousnesses. You have two choices: artificial memory techniques and natural memory techniques.
This is an interesting differentiation. In my opinion, ideally, memory wouldn't rely on artificial techniques.
Dharma is the best memory improvement system.

Finally, the more you memorize the easier it is to memorize.
100% true.
PSM

Post by PSM »

Bristollad wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:04 pm Many people find that it can be beneficial to combine your memorisation with physical activity - Tibetan monks pace up and down whilst reciting a text out loud when memorising. I also have a terrible memory but I managed to memorise my daily prayers by recording them into an mp3 file which I would then listen to and join in with whilst walking to work each day - after 4 or 5 days they stuck.
The connection between exercise and memory/cognitive abilities is very interesting. Apparently the best thing to fend of mental degradation due to age is weight training.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

To improve memory:

Manjushri's mantra
Saraswati's mantra
Ganapati Hridaya Sutra
Vajra Vidarana dharani
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Powdered Myrobalan
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I'm the same way.
Then I memorized the Amitabha Sutra which can be recited in 15-20 minutes.
First I learned the story so I knew what came next generally.
Then I tried to anticipate words and entire sentences while reading with a ruler angled to reveal only a few words at a time.
The lists of buddhas' names I made a mental movie almost, a story based on the qualities. Mental images helped a lot.
"With a Flaming Shoulder, he speaks the Universal Sound, Not to be Assailed. The Sunrise casts a Net of Light."

Memorizing a short sutra has shown me that a poor memory can be trained and improved like a skill.
I would say my memory has improved generally from this practice.

If you find something meaningful to you to memorize, so much the easier and more beneficial it will be. Dharma is a great thing to memorize. You can carry it with you.

Good luck!
Namu Amida Butsu
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

What version of the Amitabha Sutra did you memorize Monlam Tharchin?
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Greetings! I learned the BDK translation. Here's a copy online. The sutra starts on p. 115 of the PDF. For the buddha names, I used the English translations on p. 127.
Namu Amida Butsu
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Thank you!

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”