Flu Season

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
amanitamusc

Flu Season

Post by amanitamusc »

What have you found that works to avoid the flu?The flu shot, teas,talismans,hiding,incense,masks?
Simon E.

Re: Flu Season

Post by Simon E. »

I don't avoid the flu shot.

Fact...Five years ago 40% of the staff at our local hospital avoided the flu shot and at times that winter staffing levels were at a dangerous level due to staff sickness that was flu related. One young nurse of flu died, as did a pregnant mum on the maternity ward.

One year ago the take-up for flu shots was almost 95%. And staff sickness for the winter period was at an all time low. Which was just as well because it coincided with the worst flu outbreak in the UK for some years.

Forget the nonsense. Get your shots.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:51 pm I don't avoid the flu shot.

Fact...Five years ago 40% of the staff at our local hospital avoided the flu shot and at times that winter staffing levels were at a dangerous level due to staff sickness that was flu related. One young nurse of flu died, as did a pregnant mum on the maternity ward.

One year ago the take-up for flu shots was almost 95%. And staff sickness for the winter period was at an all time low. Which was just as well because it coincided with the worst flu outbreak in the UK for some years.

Forget the shots. They are nonsense.

I see many patients with the flu that have received the shot. The shots are based on previous years data. Even if they get the strain right, it can "shift and drift".

That being said, you should still take Simon's advice.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Lukeinaz wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:19 pm

I see many patients with the flu that have received the shot. The shots are based on previous years data. Even if they get the strain right, it can "shift and drift".

You seem divided.I would never ask you for directions. :tongue:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Well quite...Incidentally the stats I quoted re. our local hospital trust were not simply quantative.
My wife manages the NHS Trust that it is part of so she saw the take up increasing year on year and the concomitant drop in staff sickness. The flu shot/jab gives a high degree of protection more years than not. Remember in the UK it is free at the point of delivery and would not be if it were not cost effective.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

amanitamusc wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:42 pm What have you found that works to avoid the flu?The flu shot, teas,talismans,hiding,incense,masks?
boring stuff like maintaining good health habits (diet, exercise...)

also washing your hands correctly and often

and getting the flu shot in September, before the lines get long and you have to share space with people who probably already have the flu anyway
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

All of the above.
Washing hands is suprisingly relevant.
When I did my training the assumption was that most cold and flu was caused by air borne viruses. The more recent research indicates that hand to mouth or eye is the more common means of transmission.
Someone with the active virus blows their nose. Opens a door. The next person touching the handle puts their hand near their mouth or nose a few minutes later..
So sorry Japanese tourists, your surgical masks will not help.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

After a visit to the store. I don't use the hand sanitizer sludge.I use 90% isopropyl in a small container.
The change i get in coins is set aside for a week.
The paper money is put in the clothes dryer for 15m.
All items purchased are sprayed with white vinegar and wiped after 2 minutes.
I then stand in the middle of 2 tesla coils for 1/2 hour.
Some of these statements are true.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I used to think there was no reason to get a flu shot. Then one year I got swine flu. Even if it only gave me 20% more protection or lessened the severity of a case I would get it, one of the sickest periods ever in my life, high fever/sweats/chills for an entire week, hives everywhere.....

Other than that the stuff that boosts immunity is not terribly complicated, all the basic lifestyle stuff, good diet, regular exercise, limited stress, good sleep, good hygiene. Then there are supplements here and there that do boost immunity. I have family who are immune suppressed, they have whole lists of supplements they can't take because they are suspected or known to have an effect, offhand I can think of blue green algage and st. John's Wort.

Anecdotally when I was doing Qigong I went through long periods of never getting sick at all, same during periods where I was doing Tsa Lung daily, like I said...just anecdotal.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Simon E. wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:17 am All of the above.
Washing hands is suprisingly relevant.
When I did my training the assumption was that most cold and flu was caused by air borne viruses. The more recent research indicates that hand to mouth or eye is the more common means of transmission.
Someone with the active virus blows their nose. Opens a door. The next person touching the handle puts their hand near their mouth or nose a few minutes later..
So sorry Japanese tourists, your surgical masks will not help.
This is why gyms are great places to simultaneously get fit and sick.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I can imagine. And swimming pools. :smile: Not a reason to not use them of course. Just practice hygiene afterwards.

daisies

Post by daisies »

Teas work for me. Usually I take shilajit tonic or chamomile and mint tea with lemon.
You can easily purchase those on the net and teas can be found in the majority of grocery stores.
Still, I believe flu shots shouldn't be taken out of the consideration since if the condition worsens, teas and tonics won't be much of the help
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

daisies wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:25 pm Teas work for me. Usually I take shilajit tonic or chamomile and mint tea with lemon.
You can easily purchase those on the net and teas can be found in the majority of grocery stores.
Still, I believe flu shots shouldn't be taken out of the consideration since if the condition worsens, teas and tonics won't be much of the help
For me, the teas I used were sweet Yuja Cha (a citrus tea) and the spicy, bitter saenggang-cha (a ginger tea, though sometimes jujube is added)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuja_tea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_tea#Korea
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Tenma wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:18 am
daisies wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:25 pm Teas work for me. Usually I take shilajit tonic or chamomile and mint tea with lemon.
For me, the teas I used were sweet Yuja Cha (a citrus tea) and the spicy, bitter saenggang-cha (a ginger tea, though sometimes jujube is added)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuja_tea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_tea#Korea
This is a good one to add to your tool chest.https://www.siddhienergetics.com/produc ... ds-and-flu
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

In the USA, Center for Disease Control determines which vaccines for which strains of flu go in the shot, and its based on past history of flu in your region, usually the prior year. It's not a perfect system. Best way to avoid contracting a disease is constant hand-washing, you and everyone you live with. Never touching non-disinfected surfaces or items. Never eating uncooked foods, actually you can look this up yourself, it is mandatory for cancer patients and other patients with compromised immune systems to follow strict precautions. It's a long list.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Lukeinaz wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:19 pm

Source? Not only that, but you realize that vaccines aren't a guarantee for full immunization, right? Just cause you got a shot doesn't mean you're fully immune. Vaccines are to help one gain immunity against whatever sickness it's meant for, and yes, sometimes being sick after a vaccine is to help the body strengthen this immunity instead of dying from it or whatever like in the past.
danielplayer

Post by danielplayer »

there is no season of flu
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

'Flu can occur at any time of the year. However here in Northern Europe it is FAR more prevalent between December and March.

peonee

Post by peonee »

imo you can catch flu whenever there's a slightly drastic change in the weather. for example here where I am for over two weeks it had been really hot 86F and more but the last two days it has been raining and the temperature isn't raising more than 68F. in such conditions you're more susceptible to catch a cold and if not treated it can turn into flu.
btw Iv'e read a few articles on this mineral resin shilajit -- does it help much against colds? here https://purblack.com/moomiyo-extract-super-yogis/ the article stats it super yogis and it can help your body fight off viruses; and this article https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320318.php says it's beneficial to your health
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

amanitamusc wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:17 pm After a visit to the store. I don't use the hand sanitizer sludge.I use 90% isopropyl in a small container.
The change i get in coins is set aside for a week.
The paper money is put in the clothes dryer for 15m.
All items purchased are sprayed with white vinegar and wiped after 2 minutes.
I then stand in the middle of 2 tesla coils for 1/2 hour.
Some of these statements are true.
Well then, the reason you are getting sick is because you are not using the orgone generator.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”