CBD oil

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Queequeg
Former staff member

CBD oil

Post by Queequeg »

My wife started giving this stuff to me, and I think it works... I feel like it has taken an edge off. Its actually quite disorienting but not because of any noticeable high. Its hard to explain, but I'll try.

I've always had a sensitive and energetic constitution. In good ways, it expresses as an excitable nature in a positive manner - like as a youth soccer coach, or commiserating with friends; it makes me enthusiastic. In negative ways, it manifests as a quick temper. Its who I've always been.

With the CBD oil, I have observed moments when my habitual reaction would be to excitement or anger, but it doesn't correspond with the pre-thought emotion that usually precedes it, if that makes sense. Something that usually triggers me, like my kids fighting over play-doh, doesn't. But I feel a habitual, behavioral tug to be angry. The result is, I abandon my habitual response before it leaves my lips. My wife thinks I've mellowed.

I'm trying to make sense of this. I'm not sure if this is some sort of psychosomatic phenomena or something else - maybe that mindfulness training is kicking in all of a sudden.

Anyone else have experience with this stuff?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Natan

Re: CBD oil

Post by Natan »

CBD is not psychoactive. It’s an analgesic. Slightly sedative mild
Pain killer.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

You're just so high you don't even know you're high :rolling:

But seriously, like Crazy said, it's not psychoactive but it does reduce inflammation, which can be a cause of agitation. Removing subtle tension, even through asanas, can give a similar result. Some times your anger can cause tension, sometimes your tension can cause anger.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

It's definitely psychoactive at higher doses. Not making you feel intoxicated is not the same as not psychoactive. I'm fairly sure it is at lower doses as well, just much less so than THC.

I think it helps people with pain, and is a great alternative to pharmaceuticals that are often worse, other than that I think most of the claims about it are nonsense. I do certainly believe that a person can take it, and contextually receive positive effects though.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Thanks fellas.

If there is a psychoactive effect, its slight. I did notice that meditation is not as effective after I've taken it. There's a subtle haziness that I can't penetrate.

Maybe I've been inflamed my whole life and never knew it!

I'll keep this regimen up for a while to see how it goes.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:38 pm Thanks fellas.

If there is a psychoactive effect, its slight. I did notice that meditation is not as effective after I've taken it. There's a subtle haziness that I can't penetrate.

Maybe I've been inflamed my whole life and never knew it!

I'll keep this regimen up for a while to see how it goes.
Me too. I can’t meditate on cannabis. Everything is distorted and unclear.

However, if you have a heavy accumulation on a deity, visions can happen and be of some use. I feel it can help sort out creative solutions to puzzling issues.

But to work the solutions in life one has to stop the dope.

I used to treat crippling pain that comes up once in a while. I’m basically expert in all things pot.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Tbh I have found the peaceful deities to be even better for all the same uses as CBD. That clean relaxed vibe. That’s where it’s at.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

It can stabilize brain activity, it especially affects the GABA pathways, which cause mild sedation, has anti-seizure properties, and anti-anxiety effects. This is why CBD is so effective with seizure disorders.

In people without seizures, it can act as a calming agent. It also has effects on our bodies endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for a lot of different functions.,
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is one of the body’s largest neurotransmitter networks but was only discovered in the 1980’s – two decades after THC. The ECS is always working to achieve balance, or homeostasis, which means maintaining a stable internal environment despite changes in the external environment.

Or, balance for our systems, despite the constant chaos of the outside world.

As you can imagine, this is a crucial physiological system to keep healthy.

At its most simple, the ECS’s communications are composed of messengers and receptors. The brain naturally produces endocannabinoid molecules (like anandamide and 2-arachidonoylglycerol, or 2-AG), which are home-grown messengers that can be found in your brain, organs, connective tissues, glands, and immune cells.

Endocannabinoids, like anandamide, act like the body’s natural THC but have a much shorter effect in the body than THC does. In fact, anandamide comes from the Sanskrit word for “bliss”, making it the body’s natural “blissful” molecule. There are also plant cannabinoids that are found in cannabis (THC and CBD are the biggest), and synthetic cannabinoids, which are lab-created and can be up to 600 times more powerful than THC.

Cannabinoids look for and activate cannabinoid receptors (CB1 and CB2) and when they get together they tell your body to feel a certain way and do certain things. They also affect and regulate the way other bodily systems function, like your immune, nervous, and gastrointestinal systems.

The best way to describe the ECS is as a balancing system (or homeostatic regulator): it sends neurotransmitters (messenger + communication molecules) to all your bodily parts to check that everything is working smoothly and confirm if anything needs to be rebalanced. When it finds a problem, it regulates it by sending further instructions to receptors that adjust how you feel and think.

So, what does it keep tabs on?

fertility, pregnancy, and reproductive systems

appetite, hunger, and digestive systems

sleep,

motor control,

pain and pleasure,

immune function,

effects of other cannabinoids,

temperature,

mood and

memory.

Because the ECS underpins most of our body’s systems – like the immune, gastrointestinal, central and peripheral nervous, reproductive, digestive, and more – it remains a crucial opportunity for many researchers to uncover more answers about the medicinal benefits of cannabis, but woefully understudied. As cannabis moves towards the mainstream, more research to understand receptors and our ECS are sure to come.
Here is a very in-depth article on cannabinoids, and the cannabinoid system.

Cannabinoid Receptors and the Endocannabinoid System: Signaling and Function in the Central Nervous System

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5877694/
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

I've been trying to take this into the path as well. I'm a MMJ patient with a severe injury sustained at birth, & it brings relief. I'm not ready to give it up just yet, for the reason that it (coupled with THC) have "given me my life back" in a certain conventional sense. For what it's worth, I'm better able to take care of myself, process feelings arising from trauma, and go about my day in a minimum of physical pain. I can imagine a future that doesn't look like a dystopian nightmare.

However, to the degree that I'm able, I use the calm base it generates to meditate on all aspects of its involvement in my life as a tool for reducing pain, & I wrestle with that on my cushion in order to achieve full confidence that it's actually helping & not becoming a secret obstacle. Whether or not I've managed to succeed by any measure is certainly up for debate, but I always try to remember that someday, I'll have to put it down.

I don't want to go to my grave craving it in any aspect... so I repeat the process of letting go, at least in my mind, to be able to do it without regrets when it counts.
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)
Natan

Post by Natan »

It disturbs the fire element for me and makes me cold. I go into severe shivers that feel like being in shock.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Crazywisdom wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:13 pm It disturbs the fire element for me and makes me cold. I go into severe shivers that feel like being in shock.
That’s actually a disturbance of wind.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:50 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:13 pm It disturbs the fire element for me and makes me cold. I go into severe shivers that feel like being in shock.
That’s actually a disturbance of wind.
It’s disturb the winds for sure.
高山隱士

Post by 高山隱士 »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:50 pm Tbh I have found the peaceful deities to be even better for all the same uses as CBD. That clean relaxed vibe. That’s where it’s at.
Can you elaborate? Are you referring to some specific practice?
Natan

Post by Natan »

高山隱士 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:14 am
Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:50 pm Tbh I have found the peaceful deities to be even better for all the same uses as CBD. That clean relaxed vibe. That’s where it’s at.
Can you elaborate? Are you referring to some specific practice?
Like Green Tara.
boda

Post by boda »

CBD is generally relaxing and a relaxed mind is inclined to be more mindful, I would guess.

I got some weed high in CBD and low in THC last year and occasionally take a hit when sore from physical activity or to aid sleep. I don’t feel high but there is a subtle difference.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

I’ve tried a “full spectrum” cbd oil so I can’t comment on the strictly cbd, cbd oils. From what I was told, full spectrum contains all the other cannabinoids from the plant, aside from THC.. some of these are known to be mildly psychoactive.

I have certainly felt a subtle mind-shift, and a bit of a speedy quality at first.. (Not so good before bedtime) and a very subtle haziness which relates to my long-ago memories of marijuana hangovers as they affected my meditation.... though to a much lesser degree. I can’t say I’ve experienced anything strongly positive or negative... probably not enough positive to justify the expense... and not enough negative to advise others to avoid it, if they may find it beneficial. I’m still open minded to some of the anti-carcinogenic anecdotal evidence for it...
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I guess to share how things are going -

I've continued daily drops, in the morning with breakfast. This is after morning practice.
I also switched to a different brand that is advertised as made under clinical conditions - who knows? Its more expensive. And way more expensive than what they sell at the gas station - I dunno - gas station sushi and things that affect the nervous system other than coffee sound like really bad ideas - and gas station coffee is suspect.
The stuff I am on now actually does not have the noticeable haziness effect, but I also have not tried to sit on a cushion immediately after taking it so I may be missing it. Or, maybe it really is more pure than the stuff I first had. I've been reading up a little bit on CBD oils, particularly the quality control - which there apparently is none because this stuff falls outside FDA review, I guess because its quasi illegal still? because it falls in the category of vitamins and supplements? Anyway, one of the articles I read indicated that some brands have THC in them. I'm wondering if the stuff I had first falls in this category?
My wife ordered the stuff I took at first, so, I'll try it again and I'll be on the lookout to see if I feel those effects I noticed before.

I continue to not have the edge, and on the days I did not take it, I did catch the edge burning up. I think there is a macro effect also of not feeling the edge - that habitual reaction I described earlier is fading. My personality seems to be adjusting to the absence of the anger. I still get annoyed and notice things that are bothersome, but I'm also much better at just letting it pass.

Its all anecdotal and may very well be psychosomatic. I might get the same effect from placebos, and maybe I am taking placebos, paying for a placebo effect. :shrug:
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:11 pm I guess to share how things are going -

I've continued daily drops, in the morning with breakfast. This is after morning practice.
I also switched to a different brand that is advertised as made under clinical conditions - who knows? Its more expensive. And way more expensive than what they sell at the gas station - I dunno - gas station sushi and things that affect the nervous system other than coffee sound like really bad ideas - and gas station coffee is suspect.
The stuff I am on now actually does not have the noticeable haziness effect, but I also have not tried to sit on a cushion immediately after taking it so I may be missing it. Or, maybe it really is more pure than the stuff I first had. I've been reading up a little bit on CBD oils, particularly the quality control - which there apparently is none because this stuff falls outside FDA review, I guess because its quasi illegal still? because it falls in the category of vitamins and supplements? Anyway, one of the articles I read indicated that some brands have THC in them. I'm wondering if the stuff I had first falls in this category?
My wife ordered the stuff I took at first, so, I'll try it again and I'll be on the lookout to see if I feel those effects I noticed before.

I continue to not have the edge, and on the days I did not take it, I did catch the edge burning up. I think there is a macro effect also of not feeling the edge - that habitual reaction I described earlier is fading. My personality seems to be adjusting to the absence of the anger. I still get annoyed and notice things that are bothersome, but I'm also much better at just letting it pass.

Its all anecdotal and may very well be psychosomatic. I might get the same effect from placebos, and maybe I am taking placebos, paying for a placebo effect. :shrug:
Do you know if either or both brands are “full spectrum”?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Adamantine wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:46 pm Do you know if either or both brands are “full spectrum”?
I'll check and follow up.
boda

Post by boda »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:11 pm I might get the same effect from placebos, and maybe I am taking placebos, paying for a placebo effect. :shrug:
Placebos can be as effective, or even more effective, than active agents, and they don't have any negative side effects. Well, they don't have negative effects (nocebos) unless you think they do anyway. :?

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”