Discovering Tree Hugging

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Ayu
Former staff member

Discovering Tree Hugging

Post by Ayu » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Due to some incidents I discovered hugging trees. It seems to help incredibly for my mental stability and positivity. I'm completely amazed how simple and how strong this method is.

There is an old oak in my neighborhood with a bench under it's wide branches. It's a beautiful quiet place anyhow, but somehow I got the idea to get in contact with this being "tree". I touched it and told em about my sorrows silently. It answered silently with a quiet tender soothing energy. Very friendly, empathizing and calm. Strong.

After this encounter I gained strength and optimism. Because this is so wonderful I like to share it.

I was wondering, if I'm the only one who discovered trees as big friends and I found this:
Tree Hugging Now Sientifically Validated

:namaste:
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

well wisher

Re: Discovering Tree Hugging

Post by well wisher » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:27 pm

Very nice, thanks for sharing! This gives more in-depth explanations behind the term "tree-huugers".
For my own personal experience, hugging trees feels like having similar benefits as hugging dogs/pets or other people, kind of like the warm embracing feeling coupled with release of dopamine.
Except that trees will not demand consent :tongue:

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:45 pm

I wouldn't compare it to hugging pets. Trees do not pant and they don't lick your face. They are quite different than pets.
They are older, wiser, calmer - they are completely tree-ish.

The article that I provided in my OP explains at the end quite clearly what I sense:
The answer to how plants and trees affect us physiologically turns out to be very simple. It is all to do with the fact that everything vibrates in a subtle manner, and different vibrations affect biological behaviours. One research experiment showed that if you drink a glass of water that has been treated with a “10Hz vibration” your blood coagulation rates will change immediately on ingesting the treated water. It is the same with trees, when touching a tree its different vibrational pattern will affect various biological behaviours within your body.
Now I can imagine how Buddha was not all alone under the bodhitree. Probably the tree supported Buddha's enlightment actively. Maybe they even happend to become enlightened together. :smile:

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:26 am

Ayu, sometimes your posts make me smile.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:26 am

Trees are very significant in Buddhism. Under the bodhi tree is where Buddha remembered his experience under the rose-apple tree and then became enlightened. Then after his enlightenment, he spent one week under the bodhi tree. Then he spent the next week at a different spot staring at the bodhi tree.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:56 am

This is a study of 40k+ subjects (fair sample size) that shows mental and physical health benefits to 30% + tree cover. Grass and low lying vegetation does not offer the same benefit.

Association of Urban Green Space With Mental Health and General Health Among Adults in Australia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31348510

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:59 am

Thank you for that link, tkp67.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Trees are awesome. :smile:
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Did you ask the tree for permission? :lol:
Clear!

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:48 pm

LastLegend wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:08 pm
Did you ask the tree for permission? :lol:
Yes, of course.

I think, it's a pitty to believe that trees are only pieces of wood with too many leaves which are dirt in autumn time.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:34 pm

Ayu wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:59 am
Thank you for that link, tkp67.
You are welcome. When I was a kid nature made me feel alive. As I got older I denied that connection as being meaningful because other people didn't feel the same way. I recently moved my work to spend a great deal of much needed time in nature. It helps my mind and I am happy to recognize it now.

Also the fresh food supply is helpful. I can reasonably maintain a healthy diet of fresh fruit and vegetables from local organic farms. My body senses the differential. It matters.

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:57 pm

Ayu wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:48 pm
I think, it's a pitty to believe that trees are only pieces of wood with too many leaves which are dirt in autumn time.
Jah, and all these leaves that need be collected to bring the garden in order again :tongue:

A story of mine to share, if I may:
I was in the forest for an anthropological weekend, we learned to "walk like an Indian" in socks/barefooted (amongst other things).
Later we were set in couples. I chose a tree of my liking and spent maybe 10 Minutes getting acquainted.
Then I was blindfolded and led away in zigzags.
I don't know 5-10 Minutes maybe.
Then I had to find back to my tree. My partner was only there to prevent any accident/collision.
And I did find it! Wonderful.

I forgot the percentage of people who succeed but it was surprisingly high.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:30 pm

weitsicht wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:57 pm

Then I had to find back to my tree. My partner was only there to prevent any accident/collision.
And I did find it! Wonderful.

I forgot the percentage of people who succeed but it was surprisingly high.
Thank you for sharing.
This matches to my sentiment having a kind of communication with my favorite trees. Those oaks seem to have different personalities and there is a kind of clear silent communication. I was amazed when I discovered that. And hence it means a lot to me to read about similar experiences and about the outcome of scientific research. :twothumbsup:

treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Ayu wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:17 pm
Due to some incidents I discovered hugging trees. It seems to help incredibly for my mental stability and positivity. I'm completely amazed how simple and how strong this method is.

There is an old oak in my neighborhood with a bench under it's wide branches. It's a beautiful quiet place anyhow, but somehow I got the idea to get in contact with this being "tree". I touched it and told em about my sorrows silently. It answered silently with a quiet tender soothing energy. Very friendly, empathizing and calm. Strong.

After this encounter I gained strength and optimism. Because this is so wonderful I like to share it.

I was wondering, if I'm the only one who discovered trees as big friends and I found this:
Tree Hugging Now Sientifically Validated

:namaste:
You know, them hippies, they were right all along.
(Not a significant contribution but I just had to post in the thread :-))

PS. I actually discovered I do have something potentially useful to say in the thread. Silverstone's paper mentioned in the piece comes from a very timely book edited by David Wastell and Susan White and entitled Blinded by Science: the Social Implications of Epigenetics and Neuroscience. Much recommended.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:55 pm

Evergreens are my good friends, though i attend to all trees, keep the ivy off them and care as best i can.

Our neighbor has a pushy tree that is putting its roots under a paver in the walkway to my shop, making the paver wobbly underfoot. I figure if the ants can live in the joints between the pavers then the tree can be there too.

Sometimes I want to take up the paver and put some gravel under so it doesnt wobble, but then it would be sitting well above the others so a tripping hazard and my OCD would go crazy. Thinking Its better to leave well enough alone 😁

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:44 am

narhwal90 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:55 pm
Evergreens are my good friends, though i attend to all trees, keep the ivy off them and care as best i can.

Our neighbor has a pushy tree that is putting its roots under a paver in the walkway to my shop, making the paver wobbly underfoot. I figure if the ants can live in the joints between the pavers then the tree can be there too.

Sometimes I want to take up the paver and put some gravel under so it doesnt wobble, but then it would be sitting well above the others so a tripping hazard and my OCD would go crazy. Thinking Its better to leave well enough alone 😁
Yes, I think, as soon as we understand that trees are our friends and protectors then it's easier to accept such disadvantages.

In my town there is a big forest and a street leads through it. They fix the street from time to time due to the damage the roots regularily do. But there is no way to harm all those roots. The trees would loose their vertical stability and fall.
So therfore, by trying to rescue the paver you could risk your building, if the tree falls.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:51 am

treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:49 pm

You know, them hippies, they were right all along.
(Not a significant contribution but I just had to post in the thread :-))

PS. I actually discovered I do have something potentially useful to say in the thread. Silverstone's paper mentioned in the piece comes from a very timely book edited by David Wastell and Susan White and entitled Blinded by Science: the Social Implications of Epigenetics and Neuroscience. Much recommended.
:lol:

I read about that book as well. Must be very interesting.
A German forester called Peter Wohlleben observerd the trees in a forest for decades and he found out they do some teamwork for their survival. He wrote a book about his observations. Maybe they translated it already in English. The title must be someting like "the secret life of trees". I'll search for it.

Immediatly found: https://www.amazon.de/Hidden-Life-Trees ... B06XKH957H

Mirror

Post by Mirror » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:15 am

I love trees (especially forests) more than anything else. That's why I'm fond of dendrology.

My hypothesis is that we can reincarnate as plants. I wouldn't argue with you about it, because it's only my speculation. But still I don't believe that plants are same as rocks. I think they are conscious somehow, but in a very slow way. I don't really care about my and other's opinion, because these opinions we have only in our brains. Plants live and our responsibility is to protect all life no matter how does it looks like or how it behave.

well wisher

Post by well wisher » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:35 am

Mirror wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:15 am
I love trees (especially forests) more than anything else. That's why I'm fond of dendrology.

My hypothesis is that we can reincarnate as plants. I wouldn't argue with you about it, because it's only my speculation. But still I don't believe that plants are same as rocks. I think they are conscious somehow, but in a very slow way. I don't really care about my and other's opinion, because these opinions we have only in our brains. Plants live and our responsibility is to protect all life no matter how does it looks like or how it behave.
I like trees and plants too, they provide us with necessary nutrients and clean air CO2 absorbers and water drainage capabilities...etc.
However, I still really dislike the idea or being reincarnated as plants or trees. To me, the major turnoffs points are: being fully immobile and non-responsive, or being cut-down or eaten out of necessity for other beings' survival. I certainly would not want to be one!

I still think much better to become a fully enlightened and fully liberated being (eg Arahant/Bodhisattav/Buddha), with full powers and full freedom.

Mirror

Post by Mirror » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:24 pm

I use trees as a object of my loving-kindness meditation. I think it's a very powerful. Because trees give oxygen to everyone, even to someone, who constantly destroy them. Trees don't judge and without them there will be no water. We wouldn't be able to live. For me it's much more unconditional love than our parents' love. I really recommend it as a very good object of meditation.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”