Karma rebirth predators

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
User avatar
tiagolps
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:41 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Karma rebirth predators

Post by tiagolps » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 pm

boda wrote:
tiagolps wrote:
boda wrote: This has wide implications, and is similar to some Christian beliefs, I think, in that all are condemned to burn in hell for eternity except for those who accept God as their lord and savior.
Who said that? I just asked how else you see beings gaining merit other than dharma?
Your question seemed to imply exposure to dharma was the only way. I'm not the one making this stuff up so you're asking the wrong person.
Dharma is the only way to accumulate merit, you seemed shocked by that somehow.
Homage to you, blissful, virtuous and peaceful,
Enjoy the domain of the tranquil nirvana.
Fully possessing the om and the soha,
You overcome even the greatest of evils.

_______________________________________________
"Buddhahood really is like an infection and it goes from one person to another. You can fight it off, but it's a pity if you do that..."
-Rigdzin Shikpo

Jeff H
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:56 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Karma rebirth predators

Post by Jeff H » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 pm

boda wrote:
tiagolps wrote:
boda wrote: This has wide implications, and is similar to some Christian beliefs, I think, in that all are condemned to burn in hell for eternity except for those who accept God as their lord and savior.
Who said that? I just asked how else you see beings gaining merit other than dharma?
Your question seemed to imply exposure to dharma was the only way. I'm not the one making this stuff up so you're asking the wrong person.
It's my understanding that Buddha didn't hand down rules of his own making, like commandments. He explained how things actually work and challenged us to replicate his discoveries. We call his explanation Dharma, but someone acting in accordance with the way things work will get the same results even if they know nothing of Buddha or his Dharma. The exclusionary bit comes in because the basis for the way things work is so contrary to ordinary thought that without engaging in Dharma it would be exceedingly difficult for someone to figure out the nuances on their own.
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

boda
Posts: 1667
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Karma rebirth predators

Post by boda » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:27 pm

tiagolps wrote:Dharma is the only way to accumulate merit, you seemed shocked by that somehow.
How do critters accumulate merit via this method?

They are already at a deficit, having been reborn in the first place, and presumably carnivores accumulate further bad karma by having to kill in order to survive. It's apparently an infinite regress. That doesn't make any sense. Of course it doesn't need to make any sense. Religious narratives don't need to conform to the universe. They only need to make the universe more meaningful.

User avatar
tiagolps
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:41 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Karma rebirth predators

Post by tiagolps » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:24 pm

boda wrote:
tiagolps wrote:Dharma is the only way to accumulate merit, you seemed shocked by that somehow.
How do critters accumulate merit via this method?

They are already at a deficit, having been reborn in the first place, and presumably carnivores accumulate further bad karma by having to kill in order to survive. It's apparently an infinite regress. That doesn't make any sense. Of course it doesn't need to make any sense. Religious narratives don't need to conform to the universe. They only need to make the universe more meaningful.
Beings born in the lower realms, can only be reborn in higher realms when the causes and conditions that lead them there have been exhausted.
Homage to you, blissful, virtuous and peaceful,
Enjoy the domain of the tranquil nirvana.
Fully possessing the om and the soha,
You overcome even the greatest of evils.

_______________________________________________
"Buddhahood really is like an infection and it goes from one person to another. You can fight it off, but it's a pity if you do that..."
-Rigdzin Shikpo

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 7456
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Karma rebirth predators

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Ok, I feel like the thread has run it's course, and is getting redundant at this point. Please let me know if anyone has a reason for it being reopened.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests