Deadbeat parents

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Zhen Li

Re: Deadbeat parents

Post by Zhen Li »

Then how do we explain the Jatakas where Bodhisattvas never get angry and sacrifice everything without complaint?

In the Jatakas, when the Bodhisattva's life is threatened, he let's himself die.
the seafarer

Post by the seafarer »

Konchog1 wrote:Bodhisattvas are supposed to give whatever is asked unless it causes harm.

This would apply to giving aid.
If I understand my master's teachings correctly, this why a Bodhisattva must, first of all, realise correct view. Otherwise any attempts to help others would be like a drowning man trying to save another drowning man.
ཁོང་ཁྲོ་སློང་མཁན་མེད་ན། བཟོད་པ་སུ་ལ་སྒོམ།

When there is no one to provoke anger, how shall we practice patience?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Zhen Li wrote:Then how do we explain the Jatakas where Bodhisattvas never get angry and sacrifice everything without complaint?

In the Jatakas, when the Bodhisattva's life is threatened, he let's himself die.
But don't forget, it is a training and a long way to become a bodhisattva. This are not conduct rules for everybody but only for real bodhisattvas. And it is a conduct which comes out of the core of the heart. One can not set it up on his surface.

To become a bodhisattva there is the normal ethical conduct like the five or eight silas.
And for training the 6 Paramitas:
- Giving
- Ethical conduct
- Patience
- Vigor
- Shamata
- Vipasana

It is not like one must have all these qualities at once but it is to be trained.
So what you mention would be the training of patience. To give his own live is a practice of very high Bodhisattvas. It is not a rule to follow for everybody without any training or insight.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Yes, I agree.

Return to “Ethical Conduct”