Denying you're a Buddhist to outsiders

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Denying you're a Buddhist to outsiders

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Many Buddhists, especially in the west (to whom the topic of this discussion most aptly applies)
study and follow teachings and styles of meditation from a variety of traditions,
even if they have formally been introduced to the Dharma on connection with one particular tradition.
For this reason alone, the question "which Buddhism?" does not need clarification.

As Malcom says,
"I am Buddhist. But I am not really a "buddhist". I am a practitioner of Dharma, not a follower of a school."
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Malcolm wrote: It has everything to do with this discussion.
In an earlier post, you wrote,
Malcolm wrote: I am Buddhist. But I am not really a "buddhist". I am a practitioner of Dharma, not a follower of a school.
Is your point that as soon as one refers to Buddism,
that the 'ism' makes it a reference to one specific tradition or another,
and that it is an inaccurate term because not all traditions agree on all the same doctrines,
hence, there is no common ("generic") Buddhism?
EMPTIFUL.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

dzogchungpa wrote:Well, nobody ever asks me if I'm a Buddhist, but this thread is beginning to make me think I would say no if someone did. :roll:
Alas, one thing all Buddhist schools share in common, is that they all have their share of obsessive nit-pickers.

EMPTIFUL.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

I am a Buddhist. Keeping it simple. :mrgreen:
It’s eye blinking.
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

"I believe Outsider's Tenets. Due to my obscurations, I am incapable of grasping the highest tenet system which is Prasangika Madhyamaka."

There, that ought to shut them up.
(no longer participating on this board)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I doubt it. I forsee the conversation developing in the following manner: "You believe in outside tents? High tents? You mean like a circus tent? And what does trying to grab medium sized parsnips have to do with...?" :rolleye:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Is your point that as soon as one refers to Buddism,
that the 'ism' makes it a reference to one specific tradition or another,
and that it is an inaccurate term because not all traditions agree on all the same doctrines,
hence, there is no common ("generic") Buddhism?
I am making the point it is an inaccurate term for me for the reasons you state. That is why I prefer to call my "self" (a sensitive term around here, apparently) a follower of Buddhadharma, rather than a Buddhist of this or that type.
Last edited by Malcolm on Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Sherab Dorje wrote:I doubt it. I forsee the conversation developing in the following manner: "You believe in outside tents? High tents? You mean like a circus tent? And what does trying to grab medium sized parsnips have to do with...?" :rolleye:
THAT'S INTENSE!
EMPTIFUL.
futerko

Post by futerko »

I just deny outsiders to Buddhists...

either on a relative level - that there is no outside and therefore they're all open to listening to me talk garbage,

or on an absolute level - that there are no existing beings as such.
rory

Post by rory »

I lived in the countryside in Ireland where i was the only Jewish as well as Buddhist person for miles and I always said I was a Buddhist when people asked me what I was doing for Easter, Christmas etc...why wouldn't you? You never know who is open maybe not today but 10 years from now to the Dharma, it's a great blessing to spread the Dharma. As for being an imperfect respresentive, well yes we all have afflictions and that's what the Dharma is for - to help us overcome them on the way to Enlightenment. This kind of weird modesty "I'm sooo imperfect" sounds very Christian to me. I never met a Japanese-American or Chinese-American who was shy about saying she or he was a Buddhist.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Motova

Post by Motova »

I don't deny I'm Buddhist. I find people at my university (UofT) are very accepting and encouraging if it comes into the conversation. I have actually met a few non-Buddhists, who have completed (or are in the processing of completing) the minor in Buddhism, Psychology, and Mental Health, in my classes and are in the process of combining it with at least a minor in Aboriginal Studies. That is what I plan to do as well, and maybe major in Art History. I'd like to focus on Tibetan Buddhist art, so I don't really see a point in hiding. There are a lot more weirder people in Toronto and in the world. I have never ever had an authentic negative response from someone after telling them I am a Buddhist. GO CANADA! :cheers:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
greentara

Post by greentara »

rory, "This kind of weird modesty "I'm sooo imperfect" sounds very Christian to me" Wishing to spread the dharma also sounds very Christian to me. When you really 'know' then the spreading will happen spontaniously.
dhammafriend

Post by dhammafriend »

rory, "This kind of weird modesty "I'm sooo imperfect" sounds very Christian to me" Wishing to spread the dharma also sounds very Christian to me. When you really 'know' then the spreading will happen spontaniously.
Wow Greetara, by your definition the Lord Buddha himself must have been a 'Christian' spreading Buddhism! There was nothing spontaneous about it. Its thanks to that self righteous know-it-all we have the Dharma now. Equating acknowledging that you are Buddhist with evangelism is over the top & irrational to put it mildly. Was your reaction to the statement perhaps triggered by you interpreting it as disparaging Christianity?
pael

Post by pael »

Are there in Buddhism similar principle like this in Christianity?
Bible:
...but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father...
Do you break regufe vow, if you answer 'no' when someone asks 'are you buddhist'?
P.S. Sorry about Bible quote.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering

Return to “Ethical Conduct”