Alcohol

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
User avatar
Ayu
Global Moderator
Posts: 8016
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Alcohol

Post by Ayu » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:08 pm

Adamantine wrote:
M.G. wrote:
Adamantine wrote:For some people, latent addictive tendencies within neurotic mind may attach to alcohol, and then this is a big obstacle for them if they are practicing Dharma, and should abstain. For some people, latent addictive tendencies within neurotic mind may attach to internet use, sex, idle chatter, etc. etc. It may really not be the same issue for any two people.

Although alcoholism is found in my family, I've never had an issue with it. I may drink casually with friends once or twice a month, but never to the point of drunkenness. I may take a small amount of some tantric "medicine" that involves whisky more regularly. I certainly take some alcohol at the times of tsok offerings. To impose a strict rule on myself never to drink any alcohol would be artificial and useless, maybe harmful. However, I have relatives that should never even have a drop, because it arouses inner demons, and they always get into trouble, or create it. These things are relative, and we need to know our own situation with clarity.

This seems to be the view of most of my Buddhist teachers and friends. Though I've noticed they reject the idea of moderation and relative harm potential when the topic turns from alcohol to tobacco!
Well, depends on lineage I guess.. Nyingmas are particularly adamant about not using tobacco. This is because there are prophecies of Guru Rinpoche and accounts of great masters such as Dudjom Lingpa concerning it's use. The bottom line is that beyond any mundane health risks, it is considered to be especially damaging to one's ability to practice the Vajrayana, as it obscures the inner subtle channels. That's why it's not viewed as something to indulge in even moderately. Alcohol doesn't have this effect.
I moved the answer to this to a new thread: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 27#p269627
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

User avatar
Jim1
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 am
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Alcohol

Post by Jim1 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:39 am

mossy wrote:Because of my personal experiences, i don't see a reason to touch alcohol, it is addictive and brings suffering into the lives of people. But these are my experiences, if you wish to drink, then drink. I or anyone else on the internet cannot stop you. I can just share my experiences. I started off as a once a week drinker and ended up as a daily drinking alcoholic.
I'm with you. I used to have a problem with alcohol, used it as "crutch" far too often for my anxiety. Now yeah, I don't see any reason at all to touch it.. breaks up families, causes deadly car accidents, leads to unwanted pregnancies.. the list goes on and on(plus I also feel that it goes against the 5th precept). So those are all the reason why I, personally, don't drink at all anymore. But, like you said, if someone else chooses to drink then that's their decision.
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha

Malcolm
Posts: 31065
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Alcohol

Post by Malcolm » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:59 pm

M.G. wrote:
Adamantine wrote:For some people, latent addictive tendencies within neurotic mind may attach to alcohol, and then this is a big obstacle for them if they are practicing Dharma, and should abstain. For some people, latent addictive tendencies within neurotic mind may attach to internet use, sex, idle chatter, etc. etc. It may really not be the same issue for any two people.

Although alcoholism is found in my family, I've never had an issue with it. I may drink casually with friends once or twice a month, but never to the point of drunkenness. I may take a small amount of some tantric "medicine" that involves whisky more regularly. I certainly take some alcohol at the times of tsok offerings. To impose a strict rule on myself never to drink any alcohol would be artificial and useless, maybe harmful. However, I have relatives that should never even have a drop, because it arouses inner demons, and they always get into trouble, or create it. These things are relative, and we need to know our own situation with clarity.

This seems to be the view of most of my Buddhist teachers and friends. Though I've noticed they reject the idea of moderation and relative harm potential when the topic turns from alcohol to tobacco!
Alcohol has many listed health benefits, tobacco has none.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Alcohol

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:10 pm

Malcolm wrote:Alcohol has many listed health benefits, tobacco has none.
I think tobacco might help some people keep their weight down, not that I'm recommending it.
Also, nicotine might have some benefits:
e,g, http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix, although there are better ways than smoking or chewing tobacco to use it now.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Malcolm
Posts: 31065
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Alcohol

Post by Malcolm » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:19 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Alcohol has many listed health benefits, tobacco has none.
I think tobacco might help some people keep their weight down, not that I'm recommending it.
Also, nicotine might have some benefits:
e,g, http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix, although there are better ways than smoking or chewing tobacco to use it now.
There are all kinds of unhealthy things one can do for vanity.

User avatar
srivijaya
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:17 pm
Location: UK

Re: Alcohol

Post by srivijaya » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Pureland123 wrote:Can I drink alcohol if I am legal of age and using it for good reasons in a safe environment.


:guns: :guns: :thanks:
It may eventually become a question of whether you actually want to or not. As a youth (before becoming a Buddhist) I did the usual rites of passage thing with alcohol, though I've never been overly fond of it. The more I meditated, the more aware I became generally of my body, and the less I liked drinking it. I can feel the effects of it in my body for up to two days after drinking.

I also dislike the dulling of the senses and fogging of the mind. I derive no pleasure from it, so it's only an occasional obligatory (and obliging) social and (small amounts) thing for me now. Left to my own devices I'm tea total.

User avatar
Jim1
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 am
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Alcohol

Post by Jim1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:53 pm

srivijaya wrote:
Pureland123 wrote:Can I drink alcohol if I am legal of age and using it for good reasons in a safe environment.


:guns: :guns: :thanks:
It may eventually become a question of whether you actually want to or not. As a youth (before becoming a Buddhist) I did the usual rites of passage thing with alcohol, though I've never been overly fond of it. The more I meditated, the more aware I became generally of my body, and the less I liked drinking it. I can feel the effects of it in my body for up to two days after drinking.

I also dislike the dulling of the senses and fogging of the mind. I derive no pleasure from it, so it's only an occasional obligatory (and obliging) social and (small amounts) thing for me now. Left to my own devices I'm tea total.
Good example of the "Middle Way."
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha

Locked

Return to “Ethical Conduct”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests