Tolerance for other religions

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
tellyontellyon

Re: Tolerance for other religions

Post by tellyontellyon » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:27 am

Tolerant means you can accept that such practices happen, not that you agree with them.

In the same way you can be tolerant of your own negative characteristics, thoughts etc., without having to willingly go along with them. It is just about seeing what is present with an open heart.

What would intolerant be? Freaking out? Insulting? Getting caught up in anger and hatred?
No, practice compassion and understanding. Understand they are creating suffering for themselves as well as the animals. It is possible to be kind to people, and even let them know how the practice of animal cruelty and sacrifice causes bad karma without having to hurt or insult people. It is just a matter of fact thing.
Also, don't forget how many lives you take just by walking across the grass. How many insects, worms, tiny eggs, tiny baby insect and animal larvae etc., so keep compassion for yourself too, and understand that you too have much blood on your hands.... or is that feet? :cry:

edit: ignorance in a Buddhist context isn't about scientific facts or practical knowledge as such. It is about ignorance as to the empty nature of 'things' as such. Like ignorance of the 4 Noble Truths etc. etc.
“To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.”
― Søren Kierkegaard

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Nothing to get upset about.
we as Buddhist see all teachings as schools of thought and come from the Turning of the Dharma Wheel.
now do i show tolerance to the likes of Islamic Terrorists killing in their concept of God's name.
no of course not.
The prisons in Tehran in the name of their god , where they torture people. young girls are raped...i listened to a CBC radio show about an Interview where this young 13 year old Iranian girl was imprisoned for being Catholic and speaking out about the revolution under the Ayatoullah Kohmeni....

total nightmare...raped and tortured in the name of Islam...for her own good ...these people!....

so maybe true Islam is from the turning of the Dharma Wheel but this ??????

boda

Post by boda » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:22 pm

Wayfarer wrote:Father Bede Griffith, who was a wonderful multi-faith pioneer, a Catholic monk who lived for years in an Indian ashram, and whom I was fortunate enough to have seen speak not long before his death, said this: he said, religions ought to stop quarelling between themselves as to which one is the correct one, as they have one common enemy, modern scientific materialism, which believes all religions are superstitions that should be abolished.
And the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Death to the materialist infidels! :tongue:

dreambow

Post by dreambow » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:27 am

Of course Bede Griffith did some good. I'm always troubled when a Catholic monk puts on Sadhu robes; it confuses the poor as they fail to understand what a monk from the west in ochre robes is teaching. Under the guise of good will there is often proselytizing when dealing with low castes and the down trodden of India.
I think Abishiktananda was more genuine. He did not try to convert or browbeat others. He meditated in caves and was consumed by various teachings from the Upanishads. The pull of ancient India led him to silence, to solitude ...what else can be said!

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:22 am

boda wrote:And the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Death to the materialist infidels! :tongue:
The good thing about materialists is that when they die, they die completely and forever. You never have to put up with their nonsense again. :twisted:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:27 am

[/quote]The good thing about materialists is that when they die, they die completely and forever. You never have to put up with their nonsense again. :twisted:[/quote]

The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Post by Admin_PC » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:59 pm

Mod note: This isn't a comparative religion site. The topic of this thread is about how we (as Buddhists) should or should not be tolerant of other practices. Any attempts at trying to paint another religion as intolerant will be considered disruptive and the thread will be locked.
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

_R_

Post by _R_ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Admin_PC wrote:The topic of this thread is about how we (as Buddhists) should or should not be tolerant of other practices.
I believe this is good context for conversation, when we can compare what ideologies we should be (in)tolerant of. However,
Any attempts at trying to paint another religion as intolerant will be considered disruptive and the thread will be locked.
sets and underlying tone to conversation that there are NO religions nor idelogies, what could be potentially intolerant of other religions. As such, we can only discuss should be part, not the should not.

Anyway, I am off to other topics.
I'm the best.

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Post by Admin_PC » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:01 pm

_R_ wrote:I believe this is good context for conversation, when we can compare what ideologies we should be (in)tolerant of.
Read the Terms of Service, this is not a comparative religion site.
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Minobu wrote:Nothing to get upset about.
we as Buddhist see all teachings as schools of thought and come from the Turning of the Dharma Wheel.
now do i show tolerance to the likes of Islamic Terrorists killing in their concept of God's name.
no of course not.
The prisons in Tehran in the name of their god , where they torture people. young girls are raped...i listened to a CBC radio show about an Interview where this young 13 year old Iranian girl was imprisoned for being Catholic and speaking out about the revolution under the Ayatoullah Kohmeni....

total nightmare...raped and tortured in the name of Islam...for her own good ...these people!....

As HHDL has said, anyone who does this sort of thing in the name of their religion is not really a Buddhist, a Christian or a Muslim at all.

:namaste:
Kim

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Minobu wrote:Nothing to get upset about.
no of course not.

As HHDL has said, anyone who does this sort of thing in the name of their religion is not really a Buddhist, a Christian or a Muslim at all.

:namaste:
Kim
just so i'm clear Kim, I like to think of a pure form of Islam where Love is the central theme.
It's hard for in the Koran there is stuff about how the Jews are bad and the Christians not so bad, in the context of falling far from the tree of how to live proper in the eyes of their god.

The Old testament is filled with this god being used in war. Helping to win wars. Moses created genocide on his journey to find the promised land...fought people and after leaving the area sent troops back to annihilate what was left so he never had to fight them again.

of course there is not single artifact found in the desert from these 3 million people wandering around a small area for 40 years.

Not a single hieroglyph in all of Egypt to mark the exodus or the enslavement of jews. Moses is only known from the Old Testament teachings and not history.

I look at it as a Totem to scare away people...Like look at what our god does to our enemies.

the whole thing is a nightmare...i was born into it , thank the Buddha my father was an atheist and showed me the truth.
I in turn showed my father Buddhism and he became one.

Now Jesus Christ is a whole other story.

People say the whole paradigm shifted after Him. All Love and offer the other cheek and charity... when He talked to His Father in Heaven He asked for forgiveness of the people that murdered and tortured Him. I really think Jesus Christ was a Buddha who came to tame the Roman Empire.
Cause it worked.

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 am

duplicate post