5 precepts. Alcohol?

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Tiago Simões

Re: 5 precepts. Alcohol?

Post by Tiago Simões »

pael wrote:Does semen leaking during sleep or when urinating break third precept?
Are you a Monk? If so no, if not no as well.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ChrisK wrote:Okay, so in Tibetan Buddhism if I lie it does not take away from my good karma of abstaining from drugs or alcohol? Basically each Precept are individualized? Correct?
Yes.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Is it better to take and break them than not to take them at all
No.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

smcj wrote:
No.

Nonesense, Sakya Pandita says exactly the opposite. The merit of taking them outweighs the demerit of breaking them.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

smcj wrote:
No.
There has to be no regret at all in order to break them fully.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

smcj wrote:
Is it better to take and break them than not to take them at all?
No.
Malcolm wrote:Nonesense, Sakya Pandita says exactly the opposite.The merit of taking them outweighs the demerit of breaking them.
I took a HYT initiation from a Gelug lama a while back. He said that if you break the samaya of the initiation and end up in Vajra Hell that it was still a great blessing. So yes, there is that kind of perspective.
Sakya Pandita wrote:The merit of taking them outweighs the demerit of breaking them.
Malcolm wrote:The point I am addressing, and it is a very normative view in Buddhism, is that taking vows makes our virtue more virtuous. But this is actually quite silly if you really put on your thinking cap.
Maybe you shouldn't quote someone if you think what they are saying is b.s.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
pael

Post by pael »

Does killing bugs and/or bacteria break or weaken 1st precept?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

In your body there are the white blood cells whose job it is to kill all kinds of invading bacteria, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_blood_cell You would hardly be alive without the body's defence system against bacteria etc.. You must take care of your body and your life, which precept is that?
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
pael

Post by pael »

Killing human breaks precept against killing from root. How about rest?
I have heard you cannot break precept against alcohol. Is it true?
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

pael wrote:Does killing bugs and/or bacteria break or weaken 1st precept?
It's a question of intent.

If you have a malicious intent and kill, and afterwards you revel in satisfaction at the deed, that would be breaking the first precept. If it is an accident, if there is regret and repentance, or if the killing is the by product of an action with intention directed elsewhere, such as ending sickness, then it is not breaking the first precept.
pael wrote:I have heard you cannot break precept against alcohol. Is it true?
You shouldn't break any precept if you have taken it. That defeats the purpose of taking the precept.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

I have heard you cannot break precept against alcohol. Is it true?
Where did you get that idea?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

smcj wrote:
smcj wrote:
Is it better to take and break them than not to take them at all?
No.
Malcolm wrote:Nonesense, Sakya Pandita says exactly the opposite.The merit of taking them outweighs the demerit of breaking them.
I took a HYT initiation from a Gelug lama a while back. He said that if you break the samaya of the initiation and end up in Vajra Hell that it was still a great blessing. So yes, there is that kind of perspective.
Sakya Pandita wrote:The merit of taking them outweighs the demerit of breaking them.
Malcolm wrote:The point I am addressing, and it is a very normative view in Buddhism, is that taking vows makes our virtue more virtuous. But this is actually quite silly if you really put on your thinking cap.
Maybe you sholdn't confuse Vajrayāna vows with pratimoksha vows, since the latter is clearly what we are discussing here.
pael

Post by pael »

Malcolm wrote:
smcj wrote:
smcj wrote: No.
Maybe you sholdn't confuse Vajrayāna vows with pratimoksha vows, since the latter is clearly what we are discussing here.
May I ask does taking alcohol at ganachakra/ganapuja/tsog break precept against alcohol?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pael wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
smcj wrote:

May I ask does taking alcohol at ganachakra/ganapuja/tsog break precept against alcohol?
No, since in this case the higher vows (Vajrayāna) modify the lower vows (pratimoksha).
pael

Post by pael »

Malcolm wrote:
pael wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
No, since in this case the higher vows (Vajrayāna) modify the lower vows (pratimoksha).
Does all Tibetan schools agree on this? Should I take all 5 precepts? I know I will break them sooner or later.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pael wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
pael wrote: May I ask does taking alcohol at ganachakra/ganapuja/tsog break precept against alcohol?
Does all Tibetan schools agree on this? Should I take all 5 precepts? I know I will break them sooner or later.
There are various interpretations, but according to Kongtrul, in the end they all agree. If you have received refuge vows, you have taken the precepts. How many you follow (1-5) is up to you.
pael

Post by pael »

Malcolm wrote:
pael wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
There are various interpretations, but according to Kongtrul, in the end they all agree. If you have received refuge vows, you have taken the precepts. How many you follow (1-5) is up to you.
Does initiation without hair cutting ceremony contain refuge vows? I'm going to hair cutting ceremony. I want to feel i'm really buddhist. I don't really feel being buddhist even though I have taken initiations. Does it mean that I already have refuge vows? I want to make it more official and get refuge name.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pael wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
pael wrote: Does all Tibetan schools agree on this? Should I take all 5 precepts? I know I will break them sooner or later.
Does initiation without hair cutting ceremony contain refuge vows? I'm going to hair cutting ceremony. I want to feel i'm really buddhist. I don't really feel being buddhist even though I have taken initiations. Does it mean that I already have refuge vows? I want to make it more official and get refuge name.
Yes, all initiations have refuge as well as bodhicitta built in. The haircutting ceremony is not necessary, nor is a name. But you are free.
pael

Post by pael »

Malcolm wrote:
pael wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Do you lose refuge vow if all five are broken?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pael wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
pael wrote: Does all Tibetan schools agree on this? Should I take all 5 precepts? I know I will break them sooner or later.
Do you lose refuge vow if all five are broken?
No, since your vow of refuge is not dependent on the five precepts. The only way to lose your vow of refuge is to declare that you are no longer a disciple of the Buddha.

Return to “Ethical Conduct”