The Buddha's Teachings on Social Harmony - BB

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

The Buddha's Teachings on Social Harmony - BB

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:07 am

A new book from Bhikkhu Bodhi -
The Buddha's Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony
An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon

“Through scholarship and wise discernment Bhikkhu Bodhi has chosen a set of discourses that uncover and make clear the Buddha’s approach to social affairs. A timely and powerful resource for all varieties of peace work, The Buddha’s Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony provides a direct way to refer to the Buddha’s teachings around developing civil society. This is a fantastic support and inspiration for all of us who value and wish to foster a more harmonious world.”—Sharon Salzberg, author of Lovingkindness and Real Happiness
In this volume acclaimed scholar-monk Bhikkhu Bodhi has collected and translated the Buddha’s teachings on conflict resolution, interpersonal and social problem-solving, and the forging of harmonious relationships. The selections, all drawn from the Pāli Canon, the earliest record of the Buddha’s discourses, are organized into ten thematic chapters. ...
http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/buddhas- ... al-harmony

I have yet to see a copy but it looks good.

:reading:
Kim

Sprouticus

Re: The Buddha's Teachings on Social Harmony - BB

Post by Sprouticus » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:23 pm

It does, indeed, look good. I just pre-ordered it on Amazon.
Namo Buddhaya

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:21 am

Looks interesting!

I thought Wisdom Publications shut down?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:06 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:I thought Wisdom Publications shut down?
That was Wisdom Books, from the UK, I think they were the Wisdom Publications distributor
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5

jake

Post by jake » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:A new book from Bhikkhu Bodhi -
The Buddha's Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony
An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon

“Through scholarship and wise discernment Bhikkhu Bodhi has chosen a set of discourses that uncover and make clear the Buddha’s approach to social affairs. A timely and powerful resource for all varieties of peace work, The Buddha’s Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony provides a direct way to refer to the Buddha’s teachings around developing civil society. This is a fantastic support and inspiration for all of us who value and wish to foster a more harmonious world.”—Sharon Salzberg, author of Lovingkindness and Real Happiness
In this volume acclaimed scholar-monk Bhikkhu Bodhi has collected and translated the Buddha’s teachings on conflict resolution, interpersonal and social problem-solving, and the forging of harmonious relationships. The selections, all drawn from the Pāli Canon, the earliest record of the Buddha’s discourses, are organized into ten thematic chapters. ...
http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/buddhas- ... al-harmony

I have yet to see a copy but it looks good.

:reading:
Kim

I've ordered and have started reading this book. I'm wondering if others have and what you think?

Happy New Year

Jake
“The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone."