Schizophrenia and parenthood

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Ayu
Former staff member

Re: Schizophrenia and parenthood

Post by Ayu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:50 pm

WuMing wrote:...

Do you see the difference?
Yes, no problem. We made just different emphases but I see no contradiction between our viewpoints. I agree to your message.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:11 pm

The way we think about, treat and talk about schizophrenia may play a major part in the suffering that comes with a diagnosis of 'schizophrenia'. I don't think it is helpful to sufferers living right now to send out the message that it would have been better if they had never been born.
There is much more evidence now that shows that schizophrenia is not some sort of incurable genetic brain disease, but is much more complex and greatly affected by childhood trauma.

This talk by the psychologist and researcher Eleanor Longden gives a far more hopeful point of view.
https://youtu.be/syjEN3peCJw
“Don't you know that a midnight hour comes when everyone has to take off his mask? Do you think life always lets itself be trifled with? Do you think you can sneak off a little before midnight to escape this?”
― Søren Kierkegaard

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:51 am

colibri wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 5:36 pm
Hello,

I wanted to ask you whether there are any teachings of the Buddha that are applicable
Some here regarding sickness.
7. "Here, student, some woman or man is one who harms beings with his hands or with clods or with sticks or with knives. Due to having performed and completed such kammas, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a state of deprivation... If instead he comes to the human state, he is sickly wherever he is reborn. This is the way that leads to sickness, that is to say, to be one who harms beings with one's hands or with clods or with sticks or with knives.

8. "But here some woman or man is not one who harms beings with his hands, or with clods, or with sticks, or with knives. Due to having performed and completed such kammas, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a happy destination... If instead he comes to the human state, he is healthy wherever he is reborn. This is the way that leads to health, that is to say, not to be one who harms beings with his hands or with clods or with sticks or with knives.

Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta: The Shorter Exposition of Kamma
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!