Lying; Is it Acceptable?

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Soma999

Re: Lying; Is it Acceptable?

Post by Soma999 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:29 am

Any good idea taken as a rigid rules which has to been followed blindly can lead to harm and suffering.
I guess it's better to see them as guidelines.

I saw a japanese sect who had very good ideas about nature and everything. Great. But they took it as a rigid law and can not change even when circonstances invites them strongly to adapt and adopt new ways of thinking. Then, it creates problems.

One situation that arrived, was someone who asked a question. The point was that the person was going to commit an extremly negative act if the answer to his question was "no". If the person who was asked this question did not perceive the issue behind the situation, and answered too francly, it would have had huge consequences. So, he "lied" a little, and avoided a very negative outcome.

It's always good to adapt. All the rules help us to live a good life. But when the rules go againt intelligence and common sense, it should be adapted.

That's my point of view.

shaunc

Re: Lying; Is it Acceptable?

Post by shaunc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:07 am

For any action there will be certain karmic consequences,sometimes good, sometimes not so good. The question we have to ask ourselves is what is most likely to deliver the type of karmic consequences we can live with.
Also remember that the buddha advised that sometimes it's best to remain silent.

Return to “Ethical Conduct”