Can I play Dungeons and Dragons?

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Zoe14

Can I play Dungeons and Dragons?

Post by Zoe14 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:35 pm

My friends and I were looking to play DnD. I've never played before. The thought I'm currently grappling with is, well, is it ok? The character I would play, for those familiar with the game, a halfling druid. They're peaceful beings who can manipulate the natural world. The main issue I'm having is that DnD is a game built on violence. My character would, of course, adhere to the 5 Precepts, and not kill enemies. Would it be acceptable to defend myself, as Shaolin monks do?

Matt J

Re: Can I play Dungeons and Dragons?

Post by Matt J » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:39 pm

Nooooooo, don't do it! You might end up insane or in a Satanic cult or (insert 1980's mass hysteria object here)!

"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

smcj

Post by smcj » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:06 pm

Just don’t take the vows of a fully ordained monk. They wouldn’t be allowed to play. But they can’t have sex or drink either. Plus they have to shave their heads and wear robes, etc.
https://soundcloud.com/user-730689343/chenrezig-puja
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Of course you can. Just don’t be surprised if after developing a meditation habit video games lose some of their appeal after a while.. :smile:
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

smcj

Post by smcj » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:05 pm

If people brought as much energy and interest to their meditation as they do to their video games, we’d have a lot of realized beings among us.
https://soundcloud.com/user-730689343/chenrezig-puja
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:10 pm

DnD is a table top game (though there are video games inspired by it), how do you guys not know that? No Nerd power here clearly. It’s been around since the 70s or 80s.

Anyway, you can do symbolic things like view enemies in game as the afflictions and your characters as the Dharma, Bodhicitta, a Bodhisattva etc.

Or you can just loosen up. There are probably larger ethical concerns more worth your time than sweating about DnD.

Consuming news media is probably worse for your psyche than DnD, frankly.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:28 pm

Oh, interesting question.

I have played it like two years back. It was fun, but I got bored of it rather soon. But that is just me. I find games boring after a while.

I guess it is okay. I'd even say it is way better than consuming too much pc games and etc as here it does not have to lead to such immersion plus it gives you a nice healthy social life. There definetly are methods to turn it into a benefitial activity, at least a very bit.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:13 pm

It may be of help to look at real life situations here. Take modern urban combat for example. As far as I know a shoot out will end when someone gets hit. Bit of an inconvenience eh? This is by large irrespective of the weapon used. For a trained professional there are clearly non lethal options for crowd dispersal, such as bean bag shotguns. For a non lethal home invasion a .22 light round may be best because you're not going to wake up with ear mufflers and shades at the ready. A lethal flashpoint, or kill-zone as it is known, may involve large calibre long barrel weapons with a high muzzle velocity.

Alright, now lets look at some rules of engagement in the late medieval setting. Arrows and blades are pretty much useless against full plate armour. Even a light mail shirt will offer protection for your internal organs. So if you wanted to go 'full on' you'd use a large hammer.

If you knock your foe over or stun them everyone gets to go home for tea and biscuits, or in this case a + 3 jewel encrusted warhammer.

The moral of the story is you're not going to get far in simulated samsara with only a nerf gun. Running away in a dungeon is not an option either. A druid does seem like the best non lethal alternative if you're using a confuse or freeze spell, but what if your enemy is a zombie? Can you kill them or do them harm, eh? :spy: :reading: :guns:

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:17 pm

Spent a fair amount of time in my teens (early 80's) immersed in dungeons and dragons and computing.

Always enjoyed the geek mind.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:58 pm

Zoe,

It's wonderful that you are questioning whether you should play this game or not. Some part of you recognizes that, as a Buddhist, you would be wasting your precious human birth. It's not that this game is any worse than any other meaningless samsaric entertainment, it just that, as a Buddhist, all samsaric activities are an ultimate waste of time. Right now, you have the leisure to play this game. But that also means you have the leisure to practice. If you spend this time in practice, you will be accumulating merit which will eventually result in your obtaining the Rupakaya (Nirmanakaya and Samboghakaya) and, having attained these you can be of real benefit to all sentient beings. You will also be obtaining wisdom which will result in the Dharmakaya, your own ultimate benefit and ease. If you spend this same time playing this game, you will use up the hard-earned merit that has brought you this leisure and, when you die, who knows where you will be reborn?

The choice is entirely yours, but you did ask.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:11 pm

A thematic sermon.. :popcorn:

Tlalok

Post by Tlalok » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:00 pm

Zoe14 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:35 pm
My friends and I were looking to play DnD. I've never played before. The thought I'm currently grappling with is, well, is it ok? The character I would play, for those familiar with the game, a halfling druid. They're peaceful beings who can manipulate the natural world. The main issue I'm having is that DnD is a game built on violence. My character would, of course, adhere to the 5 Precepts, and not kill enemies. Would it be acceptable to defend myself, as Shaolin monks do?
Hell yeah buddy, I'm a Halfling Cleric in my current 5E campaign. I've made him a version of Hinduism and Taoism crossed with Bilbo Baggins and he is awesome. I am hesitant to bring too much buddhism into the game explicitly as that kind of strikes me as a little inappropriate. Halflings are great and Druids have a ton of flexibility. They can be extremely scary in combat as well, both in wild-shape and with their mad nature spells. They're probably your best bet for a pacifist, especially in 5E.

It's a game, there you can have your character act however you want. I sincerely doubt that playing a violent person in DnD accumulates more negative karma than, say, watching any TV show. In fact it can be fun to play dramatically off your natural type. My character in a Al-Qadeem Campaign setting is a barely restrained religious visionary / epileptic 18 year old who is perpetually one step away from a psychotic break. He is quite far away from me as a real-life person. It's all a game, and no different really to playing a video game, watching TV or reading a book about such a character.

More importantly though, its about how the other players find react to your character and whether it interferes with play or not. If the DM is running a high-combat, "classic" DnD campaign, a pacifist is going to find it extremely hard to not be a burden on the rest of the party, which may not be fun. However, pacifist characters can be amazing in a world where they actually get the ability to thrive, like when the DM is committed to providing non-combative ways out of situations.

Return to “Ethical Conduct”