Visit to India (Advice?)

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Lobsang Chojor

Visit to India (Advice?)

Postby Lobsang Chojor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:42 pm

I apologise if this is in the wrong place :smile:

I'm planning on going to India in late September or early October and I've just got a few questions:

1) I'm going to Bylakuppe (visiting Sera Jey as with my ordination plans), I'm applying for my pap now but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or advice about the area.
2) I then plan on going to Dharamshala so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or experience about where to stay that's cheap and what kind of stuff I'll need to take.

:namaste: Lobsang
Last edited by Ayu on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title.
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
    Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Visit to India (Advice?)

Postby Queequeg » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Its been a while since I was in Dharmsala. You want to stay in McCleod Ganj. Dharamsala itself is the main town in the valley. I stayed at Kalsang Guest House and then Green Hotel. Folks at both were great.

I don't know how it is now, but Bhagsu which is up around the mountain from McCleod Ganj was quieter, but a little bit of a walk. I can't imagine you're going to be in a hurry up there, but its probably a 20-25 minute walk. Cheaper, too.

As for stuff to take - it gets cool up there in the mountains. Long pants, comfortable hiking shoes (good hiking around - watch out for the mountain lions/tigers), sweatshirt/sweater, jacket/shell, etc.

Happy trails!
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

"I've got me a date with Botticelli's niece."
-Bob Dylan

Lobsang Chojor

Postby Lobsang Chojor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Thank you Queequeg.

I'll check that out, it all depends on if I go before or after I ordain. Also thanks for that about mountain lions, I'd never even considered that, but it would be nice to see some wildlife.

"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Postby Queequeg » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:40 pm

I didn't actually see a mountain lion... but I was up hiking in the hills and got lost. I came across some women herding goats. We did not speak the same language, but I imparted that I wanted to get to the top. One of them led me through the bramble of rhododendrons, and kept growling "Rahr, Tiger!" I thought she was crazy, or pulling my leg. Anyway she got me to a trail and pointed me up the mountain, and said again, "Rahr, Tiger!" and kept saying it gesturing for me to say it. I finally said it and she nodded and headed back. As I was going along the trail, I came to a little depression where there was still snow. In the snow were some small animal's foot prints, and one remarkably large paw print. The rest of the way up the mountain, I screamed, "Rahr, Tiger!"

On your coming ordination....

Happy trails! :smile:
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

"I've got me a date with Botticelli's niece."
-Bob Dylan

Lobsang Chojor

Postby Lobsang Chojor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:36 pm

That's still awesome Queequeg.

Thanks for that about my ordination, I aim to study Tibetan in Dharamshala so I can study at Sera. So walking some distance would be good for my health :smile:

Ayu
Global Moderator

Postby Ayu » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:25 am

My very, very best wishes, Lobsang Chojor. :namaste:
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Khechara

Postby Khechara » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:I apologise if this is in the wrong place :smile:

I'm planning on going to India in late September or early October and I've just got a few questions:

1) I'm going to Bylakuppe (visiting Sera Jey as with my ordination plans), I'm applying for my pap now but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or advice about the area.
2) I then plan on going to Dharamshala so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or experience about where to stay that's cheap and what kind of stuff I'll need to take.

:namaste: Lobsang

Tashi delek, Lobsang.

McLeodganj has become overcrowded with tourists over the last few years and because of that prices of most average hotels have gone up. However, that doesn't reflect the quality and the service in any way. Since you are a practicing Buddhist, I would recommend you to stay at the incredibly peaceful guest house of Dip Tse Chok Ling monastery, which is right below the main market square of McLeodganj. You can call them in advance to book a room. They have quite affordable prices, starting from 600 rupees and they also provide breakfast, lunch and dinner at your request. You can call them at this number when you reach India and book a room for yourself. +91 189 222 1726

I stayed there last month for a few days and totally loved the experience. It is located at a quite and picturesque spot where hardly any tourists visit. The guest house is well connected to the main market through a series of stairs that start above the monk's quarters and end up on the backside of an alley that will lead you to the main market. It is convenient, cheap and much more peaceful than the incredibly crowded market area.
Last edited by Khechara on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khechara

Postby Khechara » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:16 pm

That's the monastery.

The staircase that connects the monastery to the main market. It takes around 10-12 minutes each side to complete the distance.

Lobsang Chojor

Postby Lobsang Chojor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:18 pm

Thank you khechara that looks beautiful, and it's a cheap option :smile:

Khechara

Postby Khechara » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:Thank you khechara that looks beautiful, and it's a cheap option :smile:

Yeah, moreover, you will be overwhelmed with the scenic beauty around the place. It is a stark contrast with the filthy environs of the main market. The place used to be much better before but tourism is kinda ruining it my opinion.

Return to “Lounge”