My shrine *lots of crappy pics*

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Redfaery

My shrine *lots of crappy pics*

Post by Redfaery » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:40 am

Hey all, thought I'd share pictures of what passes for my shrine at the moment. It's a perpetual work in progress, so you'll have to forgive me for how odd it is, and I hope you'll also be willing to forgive my unorthodox choice of images and holy objects. I'm a syncreticist at heart.

This is a shot of the whole setup. Again, crappy picture. Sorry.
ImageThis is the central image on my altar. She's a Japanese cloth doll from probably the 1950s or 1960s. She's entirely fabric and has a wire armature and separate, articulated fingers. When I first started exploring my spirituality, I used her to represent Benzaiten, the Japanese version of Sarasvati. That's how I got started down my path to the Buddhadharma. I still see her as an image of Benzaiten/Sarasvati, but I use her more generally to represent all the Buddhas and the Buddha Jewel itself.
In front of her, you can see my wonderful brass censer. I got it at the same place I got her - an antique market. The matching faux-wedgewood vases are also secondhand, but from a different store. You can just barely see two of my offering dishes in the very front (the two unglazed earthenware cups). They were from Japan and cost 100 yen each. You can also see the other major holy objects in this picture, but I'm going to talk about them in my next post.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: My shrine *lots of crappy pics*

Post by Grigoris » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:42 am

Nice! :twothumbsup:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:49 am

This is the left side of the altar. The lady with the helmet is my Niō Tennyō. Right next to her, I've got my Dharma text - a pocket sized copy of the Heart Sutra in Japanese that I purchased from the Zōjuji in Japan. It's stashed there with an Amida talisman I also purchased in the Zōjuji. I've also got a Tibetan bell right there, and my candle holders are ceramic flowers. The candleholders and Niō Tennyō came from....that antique market.

My second Niō Tennyō, from the antique market of course. And my "stupa" is a kamidana I purchased in Japan. I painted it black and applied shine powder myself, to imitate ancient maki-e. There's also a teeny, tiny prayer wheel right there. The mirror was ordered from an Amazon seller and came from Korea. It ties to both Shinto and Buddhist imagery. I also have a rose quartz magatama that's not in this picture.

I hope you like my shrine!
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:13 am

:heart:

An unusal, but lovely Japanese display doll. A bit mystical, to me.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:36 am

odysseus wrote::heart:

I have to apologise, my comment may be taken out of context if you know what I mean? I just tried to say something nice, lol. :bow:

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:47 pm

odysseus wrote:
odysseus wrote::heart:

I have to apologise, my comment may be taken out of context if you know what I mean? I just tried to say something nice, lol. :bow:
No apologies necessary. She is indeed a Japanese display doll, and (as they say) they do not make them like that anymore.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Give them dolls to me, I will sell them and get you a real Bodhisattva statue. :lol:
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Bodhidharma [my translation]
―I come to the East to transmit this clear knowing mind without constructing any dharma―

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:48 pm

LastLegend wrote:Give them dolls to me, I will sell them and get you a real Bodhisattva statue. :lol:
Ah, but these dolls are exceptionally well crafted! I could not buy a Buddha image of similarly superb craftsmanship if I sold these ladies. Their exquisite workmanship is simply unappreciated. I doubt I would fetch $25 for all three of them. Such a shame! They are truly marvelous works of art, and I feel no shame in having them on my altar.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:52 pm

They might be antiques.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

―I come to the East to transmit this clear knowing mind without constructing any dharma―

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:54 pm

LastLegend wrote:They might be antiques.
The dolls? I said they were. I purchased them from an antique market.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Then they should be worth some money I think.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:10 pm

LastLegend wrote:Then they should be worth some money I think.

Alas, no. Old =/= valuable. They are 1950s Japanese tourist knicknacks. It's actually a bit of a stretch to call them antiques. "Collectors' items," certainly. But not in the same league as 19th century hardwood furniture or Ming vases.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI

SeekerNo1000003

Post by SeekerNo1000003 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:56 am

I like looking at your shrine, it looks nice. Can you do a close-up of your thangkas?

MindTheGap
Location: Earth, 3rd Planet, 1 AU Sol; 4 ly @ RA 14h 29m 42.9487s Dec −62° 40′ 46.141″: to Proxima Centauri

Post by MindTheGap » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:49 am

Your shrine is a lovely veneration of the Sacred Feminine. I bow to you, and your shrine :bow:
No price can be put on your devotion. May your merit bring happiness to all sentient beings. :smile:

BTW: what is shrine powder?
And now, as long as space endures, As long as there are beings to be found,
May I continue, likewise, to remain, To drive away the sorrows of the world.

- Shantideva: Bodhicharyavatara

In this world there is no man, there is no woman. There is no person, self or consciousness.
Man and woman are merely imputed and have no essence. Thus, the minds of worldly beings are mistaken.

- Wisdom Moon: now known as the Bodhisattva Tara

When there arises a gap in the mind...

steveb1

Post by steveb1 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:46 am

OP, it's a nice shrine, spiritual and pretty at the same time.

:)

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:41 pm

What is a Nio Tennyo and how did you get that?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Return to “Shrine Room”