Homage to Wonhyo

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
muni

Homage to Wonhyo

Post by muni » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Wonhyo , Korean monk was without a sense of fundamental sectarian prejudice, free from any sectarian bias. Masters are today regularly referring to him.
Now I heard about a man who was walking in the footsteps of this Wonhyo and it is here on youtube. Very inspiring.

phpBB [video]
“ Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek. ”
H H Dalai Lama

"Relax." nirvana-samsara do not stray from spaciousness.

muni

Re: Homage to Wonhyo

Post by muni » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:07 pm

His story of enlightenment in short:
There was a monk called Won Hyo, who lived around 600AD.
The story of his enlightenment is still famous today and marked a watershed in Korean Buddhism.

As was the way at that time, Won Hyo decided to travel to China for enlightenment. The journey was long and arduous. Along the way he took a nap ( in a place he thought to be a cave) ; early in the morning he awoke with an incredible thirst. It was dark, but blindly feeling around his body he found a cup with water. He drank the water and drifted back to sleep feeling much relieved.

In the morning he awoke to find that the cup which he drank from was actually a human skull. And the water that he drank was stagnant. ( he saw he was in a tomb)

He immediately felt nauseous and vomited.

At that point he had a realization. Won Hyo exclaimed, “Last night I thought this was water and it quenched my thirst. This morning I see that it is something else, so I am relating to it quite differently and am sick to my stomach. Therefore, mind makes everything, and without mind everything is empty.”

With this great insight Won Hyo realized he did not have to travel to China. Instead, he remained in Korea, resigning from the priesthood to teach as a layman.

Won Hyo’s astonishment at his unknowing actions and the power of the human mind to transform reality continue to be relevant even today.
As is said: “When a thought arises, all phenomena arise; when thoughts
cease, all phenomena cease.” There is nothing to prefer, accept, reject…. without holding on thoughts.
Wonhyo said: “Because a thought arises, various
phenomena arise; because thoughts cease, a cave and a tomb are not two”.

A teaching by him: http://www.acmuller.net/kor-bud/doctrin ... -life.html

If you know more about his teachings, thank you very much for sharing.

:namaste:
“ Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek. ”
H H Dalai Lama

Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:31 pm

1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Beautiful, Muni. Thank you very much.

A little side-bit:

'Peace is always beautiful,' - Walt Whitman.

I will remember Wonhyo.

:anjali:
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

muni

Post by muni » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:13 am

Thank you for the reflection, the generosity, the kindness.

phpBB [video]
H H Dalai Lama

muni

Post by muni » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:17 am

I pick here few sentences from Astus shared texts.
Thus, everything in this world comes from the mind of
sentient beings. ....the mind of a sentient being has the
inherent characteristics of the Buddha...Buddha and the mind of sentient beings are exactly the same mind.
The main idea is that we should not divide One Mind into the
Suchness aspect and the phenomenal aspect of mind. As long as we use different words to describe them, it looks like the two are in fact different, but they are in reality simply different aspects of a single unity.
=
One Mind and all dharmas is "inter-penetration and un-obstructedness.

http://ftp.buddhism.org/Publications/IA ... 20Park.pdf Page 38.

Banzai!

Whether dream or awaken. The good news is that our dream is not actually existing - not true, while Buddha is always. Courage given!

:meditate: :buddha1:
H H Dalai Lama

Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:11 am

muni wrote:Whether dream or awaken. The good news is that our dream is not actually existing - not true, while Buddha is always. Courage given!
It does not talk about such a duality that only the Buddha is real and the phenomenal world is unreal. It is quite the opposite, there is no other reality, no Buddha outside of sentient beings.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

muni

Post by muni » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 am

Astus wrote:
muni wrote:Whether dream or awaken. The good news is that our dream is not actually existing - not true, while Buddha is always. Courage given!
It does not talk about such a duality that only the Buddha is real and the phenomenal world is unreal. It is quite the opposite, there is no other reality, no Buddha outside of sentient beings.
It doesn't talk like that indeed! Certainly not.
When phenomenal world is experienced as real, as truth separate from mind, this is duality. The duality itself as the dream, the dream by the split of 'suchness' and 'phenomena'. Or by dividing mind and appearances. Awaken mind has not such division.
Last edited by muni on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
H H Dalai Lama

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:33 am

Define ' mind'...
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

muni

Post by muni » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:37 am

Simon E. wrote:Define ' mind'...

Good to remind! Lets' sing.

phpBB [video]
H H Dalai Lama

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 am

That isn't not a definition , at least it doesn't explain the way that you use the term Muni.
So I ask again ..define ' mind' in order for me to understand what you are saying.
You see I think you have missed the point that Astus made and substituted your own view.

muni

Post by muni » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:54 am

Simon E. wrote:That isn't not a definition , at least it doesn't explain the way that you use the term Muni.
So I ask again ..define ' mind' in order for me to understand what you are saying.
You see I think you have missed the point that Astus made and substituted your own view.
What Wonhyo explains is not different from the song: everything is mind then this as well shows the inseparability of mind and appearances.
Thus, everything in this world comes from the mind of
sentient beings.
The song explains realizing is mind ( awaken mind) and delusion is mind ( dreaming mind).
H H Dalai Lama

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:28 am

So if we start by your defining ' mind ' muni, I can then form a judgement about whether that definition is coherent and accords to your stated view.

I don't think that the term ' mind ' is self explanatory. This is not simply an issue with your posts alone.
The term is used frequently on these pages without a preliminary explanation. Sometimes in ways that are clearly contradictory.
The most common is a conflation between the term used to lump together several skandha functions under one umbrella term on the one hand, with the way that it is used in western psychology on the other.

I suspect, but am prepared to be proven to be mistaken, that you see ' mind ' as non-different to Brahma. As in Vedanta.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:18 pm

a couple of cool quotes:

Now, in the unhindered and unobstructed dharma-opening of the dharma-realm there is no dharma, and yet no non-dharma; no opening, and yet no non-opening. Thus it is neither large nor small, neither in a hurry nor taking its time; neither moving nor still, neither one nor many. Since it its not large, it can become an atom, leaving nothing behind. Since it is not small, it can contain all of space with room left over. Unhurried, it can include all the kalpas in the three time periods; not taking its time, it can enter fully into an instant.

晉譯華嚴經疏序 Hwaeomgyeong so seo (Preface to the Commentary on the Jin Translation of the Flower Ornament Sutra)
Translated by A. Charles Muller.

The mind of sentient beings as it is in itself has neither marks nor nature. It is like the ocean, like space. Since it is like space, there are no marks that are not subsumed within it. How could it contain a direction such as east or west? Since it is like the ocean, there is no nature that is preserved.

佛說阿彌陀經疏 Bulseol Amitagyeong so (prolegomenon to the Commentary on the Amitabha Sutra Spoken by the Buddha)
Translated by A. Charles Muller

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wonhyo

(not an extensive page - those are the only two writing of his there)

White Lotus

Post by White Lotus » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:58 pm

mind is not an arising nor a cessation. there is fundamentally no mind and yet we see things just as they are (suchness). im not sure mind can be defined (its a nice day!)

I have a serious problem. where once there was no self of any kind, not even emptiness (nameless and wordless: emptiness of emptiness): I still see external emptiness and impersonal no self, but believe there may now be ''one'' observing this emptiness of emptiness of emptiness. im not sure. its a matter of signs such as eye floaters.

how can I say there is no self, though in a personal sense there is none, if I think there may be ''one'' observing? like the lense of the human eye. it is one and yet empty. I am finding this a challenge to fit with conventional dharma.

I do not want to stray from orthodoxy. I wonder whether Buddhas urna; the single point (geometrically ''one'') on his forehead points towards what I am saying.

best wishes, Tom x
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:08 pm

This was very beautiful, White Lotus.
Namaste; peace and love,
J

Thank you for writing this! I especially loved the first part - (it's a nice day)

I am reminded- besides of Wonhyo, also of the Diamond Sutra, by your words.

May all be happy,
May all beings be healthy,
May all living beings be at peace.

Namaste,
J

Return to “Shrine Room”