Japanese shrine at a Chinese temple

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
tktru

Japanese shrine at a Chinese temple

Post by tktru » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:07 am

A priest friend of mine and I visited a Chinese temple in Los Angeles. Among the many shrines in this temple, this particular shrine, which is part of the Shingon Buddhist tradition, caught our eye. Apparently the shrine is generally not opened to the public, but an exception was made for the visiting priest.

I don't know much about the history of this temple and their connection to Shingon Buddhism, but to see it so well maintained is awe-inspiring.
12027528.jpg
12027528.jpg (115.84 KiB) Viewed 2184 times

DGA
Former staff member

Re: Japanese shrine at a Chinese temple

Post by DGA » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Wow. That's awesome.

crazy-man

Post by crazy-man » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:15 pm

i think, it´s the Ming Ya Buddhist Foundation Tempel?
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ming-ya- ... os-angeles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A03KVAcqUys

Shingon-shu Buzan-ha Mikkyo Altar Ming Ya Buddhist Foundation of Los Angeles
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... ,_2010.jpg

dzoki

Post by dzoki » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:49 pm

Really beautiful shrine, I love Japanese style of shrines, they are tidy and aesthetically pleasing. Tibetan shrines, though art might be beautiful, are often very messy and disorganized :D.

My ideal combination would be Japanese tidiness and organisation combined with Nepali style for statues and thangkas (Nepalese art style is just so beautifully refined).

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:10 pm

dzoki wrote:Really beautiful shrine, I love Japanese style of shrines, they are tidy and aesthetically pleasing. Tibetan shrines, though art might be beautiful, are often very messy and disorganized :D.

My ideal combination would be Japanese tidiness and organisation combined with Nepali style for statues and thangkas (Nepalese art style is just so beautifully refined).
You'd surely enjoy temples in the Japanese esoteric traditions (Shingon and Tendai... the shrine pictured in this thread is a Shingon one). Highly refined, also rustic in interesting ways, no shortage of mandalas and Buddha imagery (some of it wrathful), gorgeous liturgical singing... the whole scene I find very inspiring. I had the good fortune to visit Enryakuji temple on Mt Hiei about two years ago and it was a highlight of my life.

I really wish practitioners of Vajrayana were more familiar with this scene.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:01 am

Indeed, DGA. Th'other day I discovered a name. . . sacred beyond sacred. . . Downloaded a while ago actually, and just discovered it. Shinran covers it though - just as good. Shrines are very wonderful, but I've always focused mainly on transforming my h'art to perceive everyplace as pure. I agree with you very much, though.

Dear tktru, thank you so much for sharing and posting this.

:meditate:
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

Return to “Shrine Room”