Sharing my Shrine

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
MindTheGap
Location: Earth, 3rd Planet, 1 AU Sol; 4 ly @ RA 14h 29m 42.9487s Dec −62° 40′ 46.141″: to Proxima Centauri

Sharing my Shrine

Post by MindTheGap »

A shelf of simple, unfinished wood for naturalness and a sense of wabi-sabi.

Set on a white wall. The Buddhas and Bodhisattvas (left to right: Manjusri, Padmasambhava, Shakyamuni, Tara, Medicine Buddha) are also white: they blend into the background: the all-pervasive nature of Mind and Buddha-Nature.

They sit on a piece of red fabric as a sign of respect.

Behind Shakyamuni is a small box with Celtic knot work: the interdependent nature of phenomena.

Kinda looks like the branches of a bodhi tree too...

In the box is a copy of the Heart Sutra in Tibetan: the speech of the Buddha.

Before the Buddha is a small, clear, crystal: the mind of the Buddha.

Above the altar is a small Thangka of H.H. XIV Dalai Lama: my ultimate root teacher.

The lamps are so I can see.

Well, in lieu of butter lamps too...

One glance, for me, is a teaching.

(I have a separate shrine for waterbowl offerings: a small altar before a thangka of Shakyamuni surrounded by Bodhisattvas)
And now, as long as space endures, As long as there are beings to be found,
May I continue, likewise, to remain, To drive away the sorrows of the world.

- Shantideva: Bodhicharyavatara

In this world there is no man, there is no woman. There is no person, self or consciousness.
Man and woman are merely imputed and have no essence. Thus, the minds of worldly beings are mistaken.

- Wisdom Moon: now known as the Bodhisattva Tara

When there arises a gap in the mind...

Sprouticus

Re: Sharing my Shrine

Post by Sprouticus »

It is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
Namo Buddhaya
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Amazing good taste. There must be a Japanese/Zen influence there. Beautiful.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Yes, very beautiful !

Mine is now forgotten and cluttered and shoved over so the cats can sleep there...long ago i had beautiful shrines... :(
MindTheGap
Location: Earth, 3rd Planet, 1 AU Sol; 4 ly @ RA 14h 29m 42.9487s Dec −62° 40′ 46.141″: to Proxima Centauri

Post by MindTheGap »

Thank you! :smile:

Yes, I do like a Zen aesthetic combined with Tibetan art. The images are so powerful in Tibetan Buddhism that the contrast with the simplicity and naturalness of a Zen aesthetic is particularly striking. Not that ornate and colorful Tibetan temples are not beautiful - they're gorgeous. But, at home, the simplicity helps me to focus.

Ah... Cats. :smile: I have two myself:

This is Isabela and Gleshka. Isabela is, of course, the calico. Gleshka is a grey tabby: his name is Lakota for "spotted". He had very striking spots when he was a kitten but now he's really more stripey than spotted.

Gleshka is the mischief maker. Isabela is the sweetheart, though Gleshka likes to be the center of attention so he can be very affectionate too.

Don't tell anyone, but they are Bodhisattvas in disguise :D

Incidentally - and I should post this elsewhere too - what do you think about giving the water from offering bowls to pets? I think it would be a great way to share the dharma with them, but I wonder if it would be disrespectful? :shrug:

In this world there is no man, there is no woman. There is no person, self or consciousness.
Man and woman are merely imputed and have no essence. Thus, the minds of worldly beings are mistaken.

MindTheGap

Post by MindTheGap »

This actually shows the room in better light:

The box under my shrine contains pechas of my practice prayers, aspirations, sutras, and a few sadhanas.

Sprouticus

Post by Sprouticus »

Isn't there a story about Kannon Bosatsu appearing as a cat to save a poor temple?
Namo Buddhaya
MindTheGap

Post by MindTheGap »

That sounds like the story of the Maneki Neko

From the website Japan Monthly Web Magazine:

http://japan-magazine.jnto.go.jp/en/111 ... ineko.html

In the Edo Period, when the feudal lord of Hikone walked by a temple in Edo on his way home from falconry, the temple’s cat was beckoning to the lord in front of the temple gate. So he stopped by at the temple and had some rest. Just then, the clouds covered the sky all the sudden and a severe thunderstorm arrived. Not getting wet, the lord was so glad that he made a lot of donation to re-build the poverty-stricken temple. And he designated this temple as his family temple. This temple is Gotokuji Temple which still exists in Tokyo. When the cat died, Shobyodo temple (beckoning cat temple) was built in the temple’s ground and the cat has become a god called Shobyo Kannon. Visitors to the temple started to offer Maneki Neko, a cat doll to show their gratitude when their wish came true.

Sprouticus

Post by Sprouticus »

Yes! That sounds like the story I read. Thanks for finding it.
Namo Buddhaya
MindTheGap

Post by MindTheGap »

So... I mentioned the Dalai Lama as my root guru...

I think the term is a little more technical and precise than I realized. I'd have to say that, to me, his teachings are the most important, thus his place of honor on my shrine. Sorry for the confusion... :oops: :emb:

Return to “Shrine Room”