First buddhist monument of Portugal

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Tiago Simões

First buddhist monument of Portugal

Post by Tiago Simões » Fri May 06, 2016 10:23 pm

Humkara Dzong is a Tibetan Buddhist community, that sits in the Serra do Caldeirão hills (also known as Serra do Mú) in the Algarve, Portugal, forty five kilometers North of Faro. It was founded in 1982 by Lama Kunzang Dorje as a centre of the Ogyen Kunzang Chöling, a community of the Nyingma order of Tibetan Buddhism.
Some years ago it was decided to construct a “Stupa” there. The site, at the highest point in the hills overlooking the Algarve and the Atlantic Ocean beyond, was chosen according to traditional principles of tibetan geomancy and consecrated by His Holiness Trulshik Rinpoche, a great Tibetan Master resident in Nepal.

*not me in this pic*

The “Stupa” of Humkara Dzong is the first to be built in Portugal. The structure is of massive grey-rose granite quarried and sculptured in Portugal, 6 metres high and placed on a granite base one metre twenty in height. Its form represents the Buddha’s enlightenment.

Just wanted to share this beauty, never been there myself, but I would like to do a small pilgrimage there one day. I pray that many more may be built for the benefit of all beings. May all those who see it benefit !
Then, the Licchavi Vimalakīrti spoke to the elder Śāriputra and the great disciples: “Reverends, eat of the food of the Tathāgata! It is ambrosia perfumed by the great compassion. But do not fix your minds in narrow-minded attitudes, lest you be unable to receive its gift.”

- Chapter 9, The Feast Brought by the Emanated Incarnation
The Noble Mahāyāna Sūtra “The Teaching of Vimalakīrti”

Fortyeightvows

Re: First buddhist monument of Portugal

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sat May 07, 2016 1:56 am

Wow so beautiful! thank you so much for posting these pictures, it's so good to see stupas like this. :smile:

Sprouticus

Re: First buddhist monument of Portugal

Post by Sprouticus » Sat May 07, 2016 2:42 am

The stupa and the setting are lovely.
Namo Buddhaya

Return to “Shrine Room”