Any info on this image?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Jeff H

Any info on this image?

Post by Jeff H »

My wife found this scarf-like hanging, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me something about it. At first sight it seems like an Incan style to me. But then, I know nothing of iconography.
Buddha5.jpg
Buddha5.jpg (241.71 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
Virgo

Re: Any info on this image?

Post by Virgo »

I don't know, but it is beautiful. :namaste:

Kevin
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Jeff H wrote:My wife found this scarf-like hanging, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me something about it. At first sight it seems like an Incan style to me. But then, I know nothing of iconography.
Buddha5.jpg
This is a kind of batik style although it may come from anywhere in Southeast Asia (including esp. Indonesia) except probably Vietnam (it is certainly not in a Vietnamese style at least). I am not an art/iconography expert by any means but I would guess this comes from Myanmar or Indonesia (esp. Java) and is a Theravadin tile of Shakyamuni Buddha and 6 disciples.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
sattva

Post by sattva »

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

sattva wrote:You might find this to be of help.
:anjali:

http://www.sarnathmuseumasi.org/Gallery ... 20340.aspx

Nice!! :applause:

Thanks!
sattva

Post by sattva »

Your welcome, but I can't take the credit for finding that image, a friend of mine did. I was just passing it along.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Jeff H wrote:My wife found this scarf-like hanging, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me something about it. At first sight it seems like an Incan style to me. But then, I know nothing of iconography.
Buddha5.jpg
Its a print on a fabric of an indian Buddha image from the gupta period. This one below in the case, that is housed in sarnath museum. Nothing incan about this, a very typical early indian image style.
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

Do you happen to know any specifics about it? For example, looking it up online it is mentioned that the figures at the bottom are the original five disciples in Deer Park, plus a woman and a child. Does anyone know who the woman and child are? Or why the figure of the woman looks exactly like the disciples? It also says the figures at the top are two bodhisattvas. Are they specific bodhisattvas?

Thanks,
- Jeff
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Jeff H wrote:Do you happen to know any specifics about it? For example, looking it up online it is mentioned that the figures at the bottom are the original five disciples in Deer Park, plus a woman and a child. Does anyone know who the woman and child are? Or why the figure of the woman looks exactly like the disciples? It also says the figures at the top are two bodhisattvas. Are they specific bodhisattvas?

Thanks,
- Jeff
I don't know for sure, but the woman and child may be related to the actual donors of the image. Being Shakyamuni Buddha, the two Bodhisattvas are generally Manjushri and Samantabhadra.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

In Boudha, KTM, Nepal, they sell small terra cotta reproductions of this image. Kyabje Chatral Sangay Dorje once gave one of these to each my wife and I. Whenever I see these for sale in the stalls around Jarungkashor, I wonder if they depict not Shakyamuni but rather Dipankara, the previous Buddha Whose relics are believed to be enshrined in the Great Stupa. Otherwise I'm not sure why they are sold here and no place else that I've noticed.

In any case, those are not Bodhisatvas hovering above. They are apsaras, a type of celestial offering Goddess commonly seen in Gandharvan Buddhist art. Their posture is unmistakable with the bent back legs.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

pemachophel wrote:In Boudha, KTM, Nepal, they sell small terra cotta reproductions of this image. Kyabje Chatral Sangay Dorje once gave one of these to each my wife and I. Whenever I see these for sale in the stalls around Jarungkashor, I wonder if they depict not Shakyamuni but rather Dipankara, the previous Buddha Whose relics are believed to be enshrined in the Great Stupa. Otherwise I'm not sure why they are sold here and no place else that I've noticed.

In any case, those are not Bodhisatvas hovering above. They are apsaras, a type of celestial offering Goddess commonly seen in Gandharvan Buddhist art. Their posture is unmistakable with the bent back legs.
Interesting! Thanks.

Any other info people may have is most welcome, too.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

pemachophel wrote:In Boudha, KTM, Nepal, they sell small terra cotta reproductions of this image. Kyabje Chatral Sangay Dorje once gave one of these to each my wife and I. Whenever I see these for sale in the stalls around Jarungkashor, I wonder if they depict not Shakyamuni but rather Dipankara, the previous Buddha Whose relics are believed to be enshrined in the Great Stupa. Otherwise I'm not sure why they are sold here and no place else that I've noticed.

Yes, I believe that the beings are not apsaras as they don't show breats, but just devas giving offerings in homage of the Buddha for the first sermon. In the bottom you find the firts disciples of Shakyamuni Buddha, on sarnath. His old companions of asceticism. The Dharmachakra mudra shows him teaching the Dharma for the first time. As this statue was found in sarnath, the place of the first sermon, makes even more sense of being Shakyamuni Buddha.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I hadn't realized that the statue originally came from Sarnath. Good to know since Cho-khor Du-chen is coming up. I'll be sure to place our statuettes in a prominent place on the altar during our all-day sutra-reading Aug. 6.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

pemachophel wrote:Yes, that makes perfect sense. I hadn't realized that the statue originally came from Sarnath. Good to know since Cho-khor Du-chen is coming up. I'll be sure to place our statuettes in a prominent place on the altar during our all-day sutra-reading Aug. 6.
Yes, the Dharmachakra mudra denotes the first turning of the wheel. I rejoice in your idea for Chokhor Duchen practice.

Return to “Shrine Room”