Wayside shrines - Japan

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Wayside shrines - Japan

Post by Kim O'Hara »

My first real visit to Japan a few weeks ago was enjoyable and ... educational. (I can't say, here on DW that it was 'enlightening', can I? :tongue: )
The many small semi-official, semi-public, shrines surprised me. They were both Buddhist and Shinto and I will post pics of both here because they balanced each other in some way.
By far the most common Buddhist images were of Jizo Bosatsu, protector of all beings but especially of travelers, children and all beings trapped in hell (more at http://www.japanese-buddhism.com/jizo-bosatsu.html).
Takayama-historic-village.jpg
Takayama-historic-village.jpg (134.97 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
This statue was erected beside a street in Takayama in 1898 and moved to a local historical park according to the plaque beside it in its new location.
Takayama-walking-track.jpg
Takayama-walking-track.jpg (180.2 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
This group is on a slip of unused public space - the edge of a park - in Takayama. Groups like it are very common.
Nara-public-garden.jpg
Nara-public-garden.jpg (224.73 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
A similar group in a corner of temple grounds in Nara.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Wayside shrines - Japan

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Takayama-carpark.jpg
Takayama-carpark.jpg (141.55 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
I don't know anything about this statue except that, again, it is on public land (between a carpark and the street, this time) and is far bigger than the others posted here - larger than life size.
kyoto-side-street.jpg
kyoto-side-street.jpg (158.56 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
This small Shinto shrine tucked into a gap between buildings on a Kyoto side street looks like a purely personal effort on the part of the property owner. Shrines like this are quite common and reminded me very strongly of the 'spirit houses' you see in SE Asia, both in how and where they are set up and in their function as the residence of a local spirit, but I don't know just how close the parallels are.
Osaka-rooftop.jpg
Osaka-rooftop.jpg (110.17 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
I looked down on this rooftop garden and shrine from my 12th-floor Osaka hotel room. It was on the roof of a typical building in the business district, so it was presumably set up by the business owner. I can't imagine anything remotely similar in Australia.

Kim
Last edited by Kim O'Hara on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

What is the purpose of those aprons they are wearing? (In your first post).
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Ayu wrote:What is the purpose of those aprons they are wearing? (In your first post).
Like the flowers, they are a gesture of respect from the people who care for the shrine. I don't know much more than that and (to be honest) I'm hoping to learn more from members who know Japan well.

Kim
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

They remind me of the orange cloth that the Thai drape over the Buddha statues at the temple. I think it's purely an offering of clothing to the being represented by the statue.
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Ayu wrote:What is the purpose of those aprons they are wearing? (In your first post).
Like the flowers, they are a gesture of respect from the people who care for the shrine. I don't know much more than that and (to be honest) I'm hoping to learn more from members who know Japan well.
They are 'bibs', like one would put on a child. It comes from the fact that the bodhisattva looks after children who have passed away.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Very cool!

Yes, these little shrines are very common. I don't know if you noticed, but inside many businesses, there will be little shrines tucked into a corner near the ceiling.

Often the rooftop shrines are replacing shrines that stood on that property before construction. There's at least a few skyscrapers in Tokyo with such shrines on the roof.

The bibs on the Jizo are offerings. Like 48vows mentioned, these are children's bibs. Jizo is very closely associated with the protection of children, and if you notice his face is often childlike. Some modern intepretations of jizo are even more so. Often in the winter time, you will see jizo with coats and hats. They're offerings. In some temples, the statues are dressed in "winter" clothes during elaborate cermonies.

When you see lots of jizo statues, often each statue is an offering on behalf of a child who died. In modern times, some temples have enormous collections of jizo statues offered by women who had abortions. It can be quite moving to see - especially when the statues are dressed in infant clothes.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

:thanks:
Yes, we did see some big collections of Jizo.
Jizo statues were also common in cemeteries - far more common than any other bodhisattvas - and I might post some pics in another thread.

When you say ...
Yes, these little shrines are very common. I don't know if you noticed, but inside many businesses, there will be little shrines tucked into a corner near the ceiling.
Often the rooftop shrines are replacing shrines that stood on that property before construction. There's at least a few skyscrapers in Tokyo with such shrines on the roof.
... I guess you're meaning Shinto shrines in both cases, because I did see some really tiny ones in shops and on house doorways.

Kim
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Kim O'Hara wrote::thanks:
Yes, we did see some big collections of Jizo.
Jizo statues were also common in cemeteries - far more common than any other bodhisattvas - and I might post some pics in another thread.

When you say ...
... I guess you're meaning Shinto shrines in both cases, because I did see some really tiny ones in shops and on house doorways.

Kim
Yes. Sorry for the confusion. :smile:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Jizo statues were also common in cemeteries - far more common than any other bodhisattvas - and I might post some pics in another thread.
This is becoming popular in america too, the big cemetery in the sgv has a few statues and at a cemetery in downtown san jose is this statue:
IMG_4768.JPG
IMG_4768.JPG (75 KiB) Viewed 3827 times
In taiwan I have never really seen statues of jizo in cemetery. Usually in the ancestors hall in the temple is a statue, or if the shrine room is small on the left side wth the name tablets, but never really in the cemetery.

Return to “Shrine Room”