Where to buy Thangkas

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Konchog1

Where to buy Thangkas

Post by Konchog1 »

Hello,

Looking for a particular super high quality thangka. Price isn't important.

Any ideas? Inventory/quality is limited at the usual: tibetanspirit.com, garudashop.com etc.

Thank you.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Where to buy Thangkas

Post by Ayu »

I've got a friend on FB who has a huge catalogue with thangkas. I asked her for you. If she reads my message, maybe she'll contact you.

(She sells them not for her own profit but in order to support her teacher and his center, Dagyab Kyabgön Rinpoche.)
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

You might want to try Andy Weber at http://www.andyweberstudios.com/shop/. If he doesn't have the one you want just message him and he might make one for you.

He made the thangkas for the centre I study at and they're amazing.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Russell

Post by Russell »

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

I, too, have a friend who makes thangkas. Tashi Lama's shop, Rincheling Thangka Gallery & Art School, has been visited, blessed by the presence of, and given the patronage of many lamas (including His Eminence Garchen Rinpoche, His Eminence Nubpa Rinpoche, Drupon Thinley Nyingpo, etc). As the name implies, it's not simply a business, but an art school, too. I've been upstairs to see the artists working on some amazing canvases, many of them huge depictions of various purelands and refuge trees.

Tashi uses some of the proceeds from his work to help find rural village kids and teach them a trade, simultaneously benefiting them with a livelihood and ensuring traditional thangka painting doesn't die off in Nepal.

I have personally commissioned and overseen him create two thangkas for me over the 7 years we've known each other. He was the only one I met on the Boudha Stupa circle in 2010 who knew who Shantideva was and how to paint him, having previously done a mural of the 84 Mahasiddhas from India at a monastery. He checks with lamas for the appropriate details rather than make up details or stray from the descriptions in sadhanas. When he's commissioned to make a thangka of someone's lama who just passed away, he'll refer to a small photo of the lama. And given a photo of a small, rather simple historical thangka, he can extrapolate out and make one of the highest quality.

Case in point: I had only this small thangka photo of the 1st Karma Chagme Rinpoche, Raga Asye, from the Rigpa Wiki website:
Rigpa Wiki thangka photo
Rigpa Wiki thangka photo
RagaAsay (1).jpg (78.27 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
He turned it into this (the full-sized render of the high-res photo is too big to upload here, but I can gladly email it to you):
Tashi's rendition of the historical thangka
Tashi's rendition of the historical thangka
FB_IMG_1466447785617.jpg (78.7 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
The sheer beauty of the piece was such that people kept asking to look at it, and a friend snapped the high-res photo because he collects only the most beautiful thangkas and wanted to know if Tashi could paint Lord Jigten Sumgön! It was offered to Garchen Rinpoche during his Tenshug at Drikung Dharma Surya last year...

So either Rinpoche will give it away to some lucky monastery/center or lama/practitioner, or he'll keep it in remembrance of the 8th Lho Chagme Rinpoche who led him by the hand at the temple in Lho Miyal Gön and had him point to his root lama.

Many more photos of thangkas can be found on Tashi's Facebook page. He can even get your thangka blessed and consecrated at one of the monasteries at either Boudha Stupa or Swayambhu Stupa, having a shop at both locations.

Here is Tashi getting a Chakrasamvara Yab-Yum blessed by none other than Kyabjé Garchen Rinpoche:
Tashi and Garchen Rinpoche
Tashi and Garchen Rinpoche
10457481_10204236248603624_2725795089148884584_n.jpg (52.55 KiB) Viewed 4474 times

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Milarepa, up close and personal
Milarepa, up close and personal
13442165_10207820274002019_3484755393233336129_n.jpg (37.82 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
Buddha Amitabha in Dewachen
Buddha Amitabha in Dewachen
10322546_10202662048009593_5356654682356890900_n.jpg (147.74 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
Tashi and co. painting murals
Tashi and co. painting murals
15400467_10209312233820082_4290162374193880532_n.jpg (80.52 KiB) Viewed 4456 times

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Give this shop in Boudha a look. I've bought and commissioned several thangkas from Binod.

http://dakiniasart.org/artists/images-enlightenment/
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Berry

Post by Berry »

Pink Lotus Tibetan Buddhist Thangka and Dharma Shop in the UK:

http://www.pinklotus.co.uk/
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
DharmaCraft

Post by DharmaCraft »

A couple of pictures from my collection:

Menla - Medicine Buddha
brick-wall-IMG_8278.jpg
brick-wall-IMG_8278.jpg (351.89 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
White Tara
brick-wall-white-tara-small.jpg
brick-wall-white-tara-small.jpg (320.04 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
IMG_8314-main.jpg