Maker Buddha

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
full.autumn.moon

Maker Buddha

Post by full.autumn.moon »

I was at a teaching with a friend who came along as an observer and he asked me if there was a "Maker Buddha". He is a designer and a woodworker and I guess he is looking for a Buddha or a Bodhisattva who "works with his hands". I thought of Thangthong Gyalpo. Do members have any suggestions? The right image could inspire him to practice.
Thank you!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Maker Buddha

Post by Ayu »

I think, I didn't really get your question, but maybe Thangkha painting is the kind of practical approach you're looking for?

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Maybe want to look at the 84 Mahasiddhas. Among these were a weaver, cobbler, blacksmith, pastry cook, tailor, rope-maker, and boot-maker.

However, your own suggestion of Drub-thob Thang-tong Gyalpo is spot-on.

Also, Damchen Dorje Lekpa is a sometimes blacksmith.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

The Indian deity Vishvakarma is something like the "god of makers", and I believe he is revered by Buddhists as well as HIndus, so perhaps your friend would be interested in him.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
full.autumn.moon

Post by full.autumn.moon »

I did think of Vishwakarma. Being Indian, he is a part of our cultural consciousness. I did not know he was admired by Buddhists as well!
I should have thought of the Mahasiddhas like Saraha and all.
Thank you for all the kind replies!

-Arijit

Return to “Shrine Room”