is a home made statue acceptable?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
gingercatni

is a home made statue acceptable?

Post by gingercatni »

Hi everyone,

I have 3 large buddha statues at home and recently I have been wanting to have a female presence on my shrine table. I am only beginning to understand the role kwan yin has and I have decided to add her to my shrine. I don't want a tiny statue as it would look odd next to my very large buddha statues so I've been looking at similar sized kwan yin statues online, very eye watering prices attached to them ranging from $399 to $799 for a 16" figure. So I was thinking about sculpting my own, I'm no artist but I did dabble with sculpting in clay when I was younger. Is it ok to put a homemade image on a shrine table is it disrespectful?
Virgo

Re: is a home made statue acceptable?

Post by Virgo »

gingercatni wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:08 pm Hi everyone,

I have 3 large buddha statues at home and recently I have been wanting to have a female presence on my shrine table. I am only beginning to understand the role kwan yin has and I have decided to add her to my shrine. I don't want a tiny statue as it would look odd next to my very large buddha statues so I've been looking at similar sized kwan yin statues online, very eye watering prices attached to them ranging from $399 to $799 for a 16" figure. So I was thinking about sculpting my own, I'm no artist but I did dabble with sculpting in clay when I was younger. Is it ok to put a homemade image on a shrine table is it disrespectful?
Sure it's okay, why wouldn't it be?

Kevin...
gingercatni

Post by gingercatni »

Virgo wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Sure it's okay, why wouldn't it be?

Kevin...
I thought they had to be produced in a certai way, my buddhas have seals at the bottom of them. When I finally get round to making kwan yin I'll post some pictures!:)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

gingercatni wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:21 pm
I thought they had to be produced in a certai way, my buddhas have seals at the bottom of them. When I finally get round to making kwan yin I'll post some pictures!:)
There are certain traditional standards, but that is more because art was taught in more of a scientific and very specific and technical way in certain Eastern traditions, more so than it was in Western traditions. It is really not necessary to worry about all the proportions being exactly correct and so on. The Buddhas certainly will not be offended. Of course, they wouldn't mind if you did it the other way either. :twothumbsup:

We would love to see pics. :smile:

Kevin...
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

The Lamrim teachings say: firstly, Buddha statues cannot be judged by outward appearance. Every statue is worth the due respect.
And secondly, it is a very meritious deed to make a statue or paint a picture of a Buddha or a diety.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Ayu wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:21 pm The Lamrim teachings say: firstly, Buddha statues cannot be judged by outward appearance. Every statue is worth the due respect.
And secondly, it is a very meritious deed to make a statue or paint a picture of a Buddha or a diety.
I agree, it is far much significant, meritorious.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

In general, this is s bad idea.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ayu wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:21 pm The Lamrim teachings say: firstly, Buddha statues cannot be judged by outward appearance. Every statue is worth the due respect.
It is very demeritorious to make images of the Buddha, etc., that do not correspond to the proper proportions.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

I have occasionally bought large bronze statues from Chinese sellers on Ebay. Not only were they incredibly cheap, they actually arrived and were good quality.
But they are just lumps of metal until properly filled etc. and this would be true with a home made one I guess. A local dharma centre would probably fill the statue for a small donation.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Hi Ginger, I apologize for giving you bad information. I would recommend following Malcolm's advice, as he is a learned and respected teacher. His advice is always very good.

Thank you,

Kevin...
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:10 pm
It is very demeritorious to make images of the Buddha, etc., that do not correspond to the proper proportions.
As gingercatni is a Theravada Buddhist on a bit of a quest to find if Pure Land would be fruitful, would Tibetan statue proportions, fillings etc. be the only meritorious ones to follow, or are those of other traditions acceptable?

Kwan Yin offers quite a range of statuary considered proper in different traditions.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I was told differently. Do you have any quote? What are you talking about exactly?
:popcorn:
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Ayu wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:57 pm
I was told differently. Do you have any quote? What are you talking about exactly?
I remember there is a sutra with regards to this matter.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

liuzg150181 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:30 am

It's most easy to find prove about the merits of making statues. Here you go:
”The Benefits of Making Statues” : http://www.lamayeshe.com/article/benefi ... ng-statues

"The most powerful merit one can accumulate, and accumulate so easily, is in relation to holy objects of Buddha. By making statues of Buddha and making offerings to statues of Buddha, one accumulates infinite, inconceivable merit that immediately becomes a cause of enlightenment."
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Ayu wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:17 am
liuzg150181 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:30 am
”The Benefits of Making Statues” : http://www.lamayeshe.com/article/benefi ... ng-statues

"The most powerful merit one can accumulate, and accumulate so easily, is in relation to holy objects of Buddha. By making statues of Buddha and making offerings to statues of Buddha, one accumulates infinite, inconceivable merit that immediately becomes a cause of enlightenment."
The sutra I had in mind mentioned the protocols as to how to make buddha statues.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Last edited by Sādhaka on Wed May 30, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Whist all this advice may be wonderful, I fear it is irrelevant because the OP is a Theravada practitioner flirting with Pure Land and NOT A VAJRAYANA practitioner, according to their previous posts.
Last edited by Mantrik on Wed May 30, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Sādhaka wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:47 am
liuzg150181 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:42 am
Ayu wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:17 am

The sutra I had in mind mentioned the protocols as to how to make buddha statues.

That would be useful to study.

What Malcolm wrote above is right.

Making Buddha statues without these instructions, would be like people “making Mandalas” of their own whim which Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche mentions sometimes.
Found it,but only the Chinese title 佛说造像量度经:
http://www.fjfoxiang.com/fo-zhao-xiang/1544.html
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

So, it depends on which tradition we are talking about.
In Vajrayana, making statues is a wonderful thing. Tsatsa making is even a practice.

And it sounds rather like a joke, if Buddhists have statues everywhere, but those who made them are doomed? I fail to understand the intention of this teaching that forbids making statues. Sounds rather absurd to me. But I can't judge it, because I can't read Chinese.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Ayu wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:15 pm So, it depends on which tradition we are talking about.
In Vajrayana, making statues is a wonderful thing. Tsatsa making is even a practice.

And it sounds rather like a joke, if Buddhists have statues everywhere, but those who made them are doomed? I fail to understand the intention of this teaching that forbids making statues. Sounds rather absurd to me. But I can't judge it, because I can't read Chinese.
The Chinese articles merely states the standard by which buddha statues should be created, not that one would go to lower realm for not adhering to the standard. Treat it more like ISO9002 instead of penal law.
Otherwise, what do we make of this?

Return to “Shrine Room”