What would you buy?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Tenma

What would you buy?

Post by Tenma » Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 pm

If one were given a chance to receive a Buddhist item, what should one get (that's affordable and not some exotic relic)? A mala? A prayer wheel? A damaru? A bell? Or what? Especially for teena and young adults.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: What would you buy?

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri May 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Tenma wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 pm
If one were given a chance to receive a Buddhist item, what should one get (that's affordable and not some exotic relic)? A mala? A prayer wheel? A damaru? A bell? Or what? Especially for teena and young adults.
It depends on you. One of the most important Dharma items I is own is a relatively non-fancy Thangka that my wife bought for me years before I had any kind of active practice. It's significance grew over time.

If you can't decide, one solution is just to visit yard sales etc. and look around for Dharma items. Being that they are decor these days, you can find some amazing things (I have a small hand painted Chenrezig Thangka I found this way) for cheap, and the usually the people selling them have no spiritual connection to the items in particular. Sometimes it's like the items find you!
There's no hoarding what has vanished,
No piling up for the future;
Those who have been born are standing
Like a seed upon a needle.

-Guhatthaka-suttaniddeso

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Sat May 11, 2019 12:37 am

A small Buddha statue or pendant/necklace.

seva

Post by seva » Sat May 11, 2019 2:37 am

I would buy nothing.

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Sat May 11, 2019 7:05 pm

Go for something that either helps or encourages your practice and that you will actually use.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Sun May 12, 2019 1:49 am

When my son was born, someone gave him a Buddha statue. It's always been in his room.

He was a very active toddler, I basically had to put all my buddhsit "stuff", the incense and candles and offering bowls away for a while. I had no time for rituals, very little time for meditation. I kept a mala ( beads) with me, and I read various dharma books or related stuff (history of Tibet) at night. But beyond that, all that "external" stuff I'd always thought of as "dharma practice" was out of the picture for now.
And actually, that was a very good thing for me, because
it forced me to really internalize everything that I'd had been practicing outwardly for many years.
Anyway, there's a lot of buddhist "stuff" out there.
But since a Buddha statue represents one's true nature, that, or a picture of a Buddha, would be my suggestion as a gift.
A nice one, if possible.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:03 am

Meditation cushions :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun May 12, 2019 6:40 am

I'm in favour of a small Buddha statue, too, or a picture.
Either way, it is a constant but gentle reminder of the dharma. More generally, it's a work of art and a reminder that not everything is measure in $ values.

:namaste:
Kim

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Sun May 12, 2019 9:42 am

You can print a picture and put it into a frame for few bucks. I'd suggest investing it into teachings with a teacher. That is something no statue can give ya.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

steveb1

Post by steveb1 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:09 pm

Tenma wrote:
A nice (walnut?) mala.

A nice wrap-around (sturdy!) wrist mala.

A nice (sturdy!) bead necklace.

A fine, nuanced, gently aromatic incense.

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Sat May 18, 2019 11:19 pm

But if you want some thing, then probably some mala, or a prayer wheel could be of good use.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

~ Jigten Sumgon

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Sun May 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Miroku wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:19 pm
But if you want some thing, then probably some mala, or a prayer wheel could be of good use.
Do you know any good places where I can personalize my prayer wheel? For example, utilizing Manjushri (Lord of Speech whose mantra is not the "om ara...") mantras, Tara mantras (not just "om tare tuttare...", but also other Tara mantras I've received by lung), Vajrasattva, the Song of the Vajra, and other mantras of other deities I have been given that are not usually found in prayer wheels?

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Sun May 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Tenma wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:26 pm
Miroku wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:19 pm
Do you know any good places where I can personalize my prayer wheel? For example, utilizing Manjushri (Lord of Speech whose mantra is not the "om ara...") mantras, Tara mantras (not just "om tare tuttare...", but also other Tara mantras I've received by lung), Vajrasattva, the Song of the Vajra, and other mantras of other deities I have been given that are not usually found in prayer wheels?
You can either print the mantras yourself and fill it or ask a lama to fill it and bless it or you can get a personalized prayerwheel from one of the western shops where they make lovely wooden prayer wheels such as this place https://prayerwheelshop.com (where Garchen Rinpoche got his prayer wheel if I am correct). But! Those are expensive as heck. Soo unless you have like 300usd I'd suggest the first route. I don't know if you can have a song of vajra in a prayerwheel, but then again I do not know many things. I'd better ask if I were you.

Anyway you can get a prayer wheel on an ebay for like 2 dollars (which I did, I ordered it yesterday, so if ya wan't I can let you know how it went when it arrives) and fill it yourself. FPMT has some instructions how to do it.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

~ Jigten Sumgon

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 pm

Tenma wrote:
A -chod- Damaru, definitely that. Other items you can find easily or make yourself.

Being young and doing Chöd is the best thing i did. totally recommended!
"Don't profess a view you haven't realized!
Since the view is devoid of viewing, mind essence is an expanse of great emptiness.
Since the meditation is without meditating, leave your individual experience free from fixation.
Since the conduct is without acting, it is unfabricated naturalness.
Since the fruition is without abandoning or achieving, it is the dharmakaya of great bliss.
These four sentences are words from my heart:
Contradict them and you fail to discover the nature of Ati Yoga."

Guru Padmasambhava.
From "Advice from the Lotus-Born".

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 am

Tenma wrote:
That depends on whether the person giving it knows what they're doing. If it's a ritual item there could be all sorts of specifications for it, even something simple like a mala, and the recipient would be much better advised to procure it for him/herself. If the person giving was insisting on some sort of gift, asking them to donate to a Buddhist charity or use the money to sponsor a puja, life release or recitation of sutras would be good alternatives.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Tue May 21, 2019 6:29 am

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 pm
Tenma wrote:
A -chod- Damaru, definitely that. Other items you can find easily or make yourself.

Being young and doing Chöd is the best thing i did. totally recommended!
Glad to hear that!

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht » Mon May 27, 2019 12:36 pm

I don't know about that kid, how could I

but from teen-age on usually the tendency is to detach from what is advised. Hence I suggest to only give what is being wished for.
If she is into petticoats, the petticoats, if he wants a new mobile phone then so.

If that kid shows interest then do not only give the object (e.g. damaru) but also see for the availability of the necessary empowerment. Otherwise that object becomes a religious/spiritual projection.

For small kids there is this "My First Buddha doll" - not sure you have heard of this.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Mon May 27, 2019 8:36 pm

Personally, I would like a small cutting to clone from the official Bodhi Tree. (The one Buddha sat under). I believe the one currently in india is a clone, of a clone from the original tree.

I imagine that isn't something they'd just let someone have though eh?
The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
-Henry David Thoreau

WesleyP

Post by WesleyP » Thu May 30, 2019 10:29 am

Real Buddhist necklace with Bodhi seeds.

ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin » Thu May 30, 2019 9:07 pm

A book on the fundamental teachings.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”