To a Buddhist is there a Hell and is there death? What are the 108 Existences

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
SomeoneNew1981

To a Buddhist is there a Hell and is there death? What are the 108 Existences

Post by SomeoneNew1981 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:35 pm

Growing up I've had friends that were Buddhist, Vietnamese, but we never discussed religion. But I took an East Asian Literature class and it we encountered the Vimalakirtri Sutra, the Heart Sutra. But in terms of death and Hell other than reincarnation I do not know what Buddhist Believes in. I looked online for answers but can't find many. So, maybe you can suggest a book. What are the 108 existences and is that still believed in? Is there a Hell and is permanent? Can it happen between lives? Or is that only reserved after the 108 lives?

Thank you for anyone who answers. I just discovered there are not many Buddhists in the world but this may be do to the turn China took after the cultural revolution.

Thanks again. So, yes if someone can suggest a book that outlines all the beliefs please include.

jake
Global Moderator

Re: To a Buddhist is there a Hell and is there death? What are the 108 Existences

Post by jake » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:23 am

SomeoneNew1981 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:35 pm
What are the 108 existences and is that still believed in? Is there a Hell and is permanent? Can it happen between lives? Or is that only reserved after the 108 lives?
If I'm not mistaken, this 108 lives concept is from the new age occultist Samael Aun Weor and is not found in any Buddhist tradition of which I'm familiar.

SomeoneNew1981 wrote:
I just discovered there are not many Buddhists in the world but this may be do to the turn China took after the cultural revolution.

Thanks again. So, yes if someone can suggest a book that outlines all the beliefs please include.
I have no idea where you got this idea. I think there are more Buddhists today than there have ever been.

I recommend Gethin's The Foundations of Buddhism. https://www.alibris.com/The-Foundations ... matches=28

SomeoneNew1981

Re: To a Buddhist is there a Hell and is there death? What are the 108 Existences

Post by SomeoneNew1981 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 am

jake wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:23 am
SomeoneNew1981 wrote:
What are the 108 existences and is that still believed in? Is there a Hell and is permanent? Can it happen between lives? Or is that only reserved after the 108 lives?
If I'm not mistaken, this 108 lives concept is from the new age occultist Samael Aun Weor and is not found in any Buddhist tradition of which I'm familiar.

SomeoneNew1981 wrote:
I just discovered there are not many Buddhists in the world but this may be do to the turn China took after the cultural revolution.

I have no idea where you got this idea. I think there are more Buddhists today than there have ever been.

I recommend Gethin's The Foundations of Buddhism. https://www.alibris.com/The-Foundations ... matches=28
Thanks Jake for the reply. OK, so it's a new age concept. Gosh, this internet I can't even navigate the right way. But thank you for posting. Well, maybe you know of better stats and can share them with me but on wikipedia here are the stats:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... opulations

So, it sites Buddhism as 7%. From my experience and my friends I would hope there would be 30% Buddhists. But that's where I saw that. To me it seems low and incorrect but it is wikipedia and I trust wikipedia as a source.

But what would a Mahayana believe about reincarnation and hell? Is there ever death?

Thanks.

SomeoneNew1981

Post by SomeoneNew1981 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:19 am

Would this be a good site, so anyone chime in:

http://factsanddetails.com/world/cat55/ ... m1330.html

My sister found it for me. The link you sent Jake is under maintenance but I found the book elsewhere. In the future I'll buy it.

But if this is a good a site I have a couple of questions.

markatex

Post by markatex » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Rebirth can occur in any one of six realms: heaven, the realm of humans, the realm of animals, the realm of asuras, the realm of hungry ghosts, and hell. So hell is not permanent, it's just one of the realms of transmigration.

Asuras are angry and boastful demigods; hungry ghosts are hellish beings with tiny mouths and distended stomachs, so that they can never consume enough food to satisfy their hunger.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:05 pm

SomeoneNew1981 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 am
But what would a Mahayana believe about reincarnation and hell? Is there ever death?
You mean death as in nothingness oblivion? No.

The Mahayana view is that if you conduct yourself in a manner than tends to a hellish state of mind, you will appear in hell after the dissolution of your present body.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:40 am

There is a famous Zen story from Japan:

A famous soldier came to the master Hakuin and asked: "Master, tell me: is there really a heaven and a hell?"
"Who are you?" asked Hakuin.
"I am a soldier of the great Emperor's personal guard."
"Nonsense!" said Hakuin. "What kind of emperor would have you around him? To me you look like a beggar!"
At this, the soldier started to rattle his big sword in anger.
"Oho!" said Hakuin. "So you have a sword! I'll wager it's much too dull to cut even butter!"
At this the soldier could not hold himself back. He drew his sword and threatened the master, who said:
"Now you are opening the gates of hell!"
The soldier drew back, sheathed his sword, and bowed. "Now you are opening the gates of heaven."

The Sutras describe a variety of hells, some burning hot, some freezing cold,
where you can get poked and boiled, and chopped up and eaten by monster dogs and so on.

The question one usually asks at this point is, "are they real?"
...and by "real", they usually mean "real" in the same way what we experience right this minute as "real".
And herein lies the paradox, if you can call it that,
because what is discovered through Buddhist study and practice is that
what we experience as "real" here and now isn't "real" the way we think it is.
The "reality" of the experience... of "me" having the experience ...of "me" (dizzy yet?)
and thus, the reality of everything experienced as phenomena happening to "me"
... is a projection of mind itself.
Now, we can't say that the reality we experience isn't happeningor isn't occurring
because everything we experience, "real" or not, is an object of our awareness
and awareness cannot be refuted. You can't say, "there's no such thing as awareness" because you have to be aware of refuting it.
So, even a dream occurs, it happens, even though nothing occurring and happening within the dream is "real".
So, yes, they occurjust as much as this present reality occurs, just as much as nightmares occur.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

muni

Post by muni » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:55 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:40 am
There is a famous Zen story from Japan:

A famous soldier came to the master Hakuin and asked: "Master, tell me: is there really a heaven and a hell?"
"Who are you?" asked Hakuin.
"I am a soldier of the great Emperor's personal guard."
"Nonsense!" said Hakuin. "What kind of emperor would have you around him? To me you look like a beggar!"
At this, the soldier started to rattle his big sword in anger.
"Oho!" said Hakuin. "So you have a sword! I'll wager it's much too dull to cut even butter!"
At this the soldier could not hold himself back. He drew his sword and threatened the master, who said:
"Now you are opening the gates of hell!"
The soldier drew back, sheathed his sword, and bowed. "Now you are opening the gates of heaven."

The Sutras describe a variety of hells, some burning hot, some freezing cold,
where you can get poked and boiled, and chopped up and eaten by monster dogs and so on.

The question one usually asks at this point is, "are they real?"
...and by "real", they usually mean "real" in the same way what we experience right this minute as "real".
And herein lies the paradox, if you can call it that,
because what is discovered through Buddhist study and practice is that
what we experience as "real" here and now isn't "real" the way we think it is.
The "reality" of the experience... of "me" having the experience ...of "me" (dizzy yet?)
and thus, the reality of everything experienced as phenomena happening to "me"
... is a projection of mind itself.
Now, we can't say that the reality we experience isn't happeningor isn't occurring
because everything we experience, "real" or not, is an object of our awareness
and awareness cannot be refuted. You can't say, "there's no such thing as awareness" because you have to be aware of refuting it.
So, even a dream occurs, it happens, even though nothing occurring and happening within the dream is "real".
So, yes, they occurjust as much as this present reality occurs, just as much as nightmares occur.
:namaste:

All what plays 'in our heads' cannot be put in a map with stickers on it in categories real - unreal. But dualistic thoughts form solid phenomena or seek shelter in nihilism.
Example: my huge dog passed away in deep suffering, a very kind appearance. This is a testing moment.
The manifold of phenomenal appearances is primordially unoriginated and non-dual, just like an image reflected in a mirror.

The nature of openness isn't separate from phenomenal appearances, just as water and its quality of being moist are combined in a non-dualistic condition.

Although the phenomenal world appears to be located (in time and space, in fact) it is the non-abiding dimension of being itself The instant an appearance seems to disappear it does not infact cease, (since ultimately phenomena) neither increase nor decrease.

As such, phenomenal appearances do not exist in the way they appear.
Longchenpa
Which human beings are “fortunate and connected?” They are the ones who generate love, compassion, and devotion, as well as the commitment to remain steadfast on the path until all beings are liberated. Venerable Khenpo Rinpoches.

Examining the faults of others will not benefit anyone and only leads to more disturbing emotions, blocking our path to liberation. Penor Rinpoche

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”