Looking for a good book that goes through the teachings of Mahayana Buddhism

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Snowbeast

Looking for a good book that goes through the teachings of Mahayana Buddhism

Post by Snowbeast » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 pm

Hello, thank you very much for your previous help to my questions. I am having trouble finding a book that explains Mahayana Buddhism specifically in a orderly manner. I am looking for something that goes through topic by topic. Something similar to "What the Buddha Taught" but specifically Mahayana especially focusing on East Asian Buddhism. I can find things like this on Tibetan Buddhism(Especially Lam Rim materials) and Theravada, but not so much for East Asian Mahayana. I have been practicing Buddhism for 2 years and understand a lot of concepts, but I feel like there are a lot of holes. Sometimes I will hear something in a Dharma talk and have no idea what it means, or sometimes someone will ask me to explain a concept in Buddhism and although I understand it enough through practice I have trouble explaining it. Is there any good resources out there to get a good foundation and to strengthen what I already know? (If the material happens to be Tibetan that is fine, Tibetan Buddhists seem to be very good at explaining things.) Thank you!

Fortyeightvows

Re: Looking for a good book that goes through the teachings of Mahayana Buddhism

Post by Fortyeightvows » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:04 am

Paul Williams

Miroku
Former staff member

Re: Looking for a good book that goes through the teachings of Mahayana Buddhism

Post by Miroku » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:27 am

Depends really what you are practicing... but Zen Compass could be a good book for you.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:29 am

Heart of The Buddha's Teachings by Thich Nat Hanh sounds like it might be up your alley.

For something more philosophically-minded and Tibetan, try A Profound Mind by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. This is quite a good book for an overview of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist thought, and generally will give you a good basis for Buddhist philosophy, though of course it will not cover East Asian etc. innovations.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:31 am

Here are three good ones:

Way to Buddhahood by Yin Shun -- Buddha-Dharma a large one from BDK publishers -- a small free one also from BDK Teaching of Buddha.
May all seek, find and follow the Path of selflessness.

Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:03 am

Snowbeast wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 pm
Mahayana especially focusing on East Asian Buddhism.
The Core Teachings
'Conceived as a starting point for those coming to Buddhism for the first time, The Core Teachings is a guided tour of the most essential aspects of Buddhist wisdom and how they can be applied in our own lives and practice. Honed by Venerable Master Hsing Yun’s decades of teaching and commitment to sharing Buddhism in a straightforward, accessible way, The Core Teachings gives new life to Buddhist basics like the Four Noble Truths, karma, and the five precepts.'

Orthodox Chinese Buddhism
'As a long-time monk, scholar, and founder of monasteries in Asia and North America, Master Sheng Yen is uniquely qualified to explain the correct — therefore “orthodox” — beliefs that have guided Chinese Buddhism for over 1,500 years. Written while the author was on solitary retreat, OCB was Master Sheng Yen's response to many questions he received about Chinese Buddhism. Using a question-and-answer format, the book explores a wide range of subjects, from what it means to be a Buddhist to sudden enlightenment. This English translation is therefore a welcome addition to the Western literature of Buddhism, and includes new annotations, appendixes, and a glossary designed for the Western reader.'

Buddhism in Every Step (original source)
'The following is a large collection of booklets (all in PDF format) on Buddhism and various topics from a Buddhist perspective written by Master Hsing Yun, the founder of the Fo Guang Shan (Buddha's Light Mountain) Buddhist order and the Buddha's Light International Association.'
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Snowbeast

Post by Snowbeast » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:46 pm

Thank you very much everyone.

Astus, I actually own Two of those books and the core teachings book happens to be one of my favorites and one of the reasons I was asking to see if there were any more like it.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”