Mahayana/Vajrayana Links and Resources

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
dude

Re: Nichiren Resources?

Post by dude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:08 pm

You will need someone to teach you.
Start by chanting nam myoho renge kyo.
The right person will appear in your environment.

dude

Post by dude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:39 pm

The basic ritual is chanting nam myoho renge kyo to the Gohonzon, the mandala inscribed by Nichiren Daishonin.
The basic belief is that the title of the Lotus Sutra, myoho renge kyo, is the essence of all the Buddha's teachings, and chanting it is the direct way to enlightenment, the only way to gain good karma in the Latter Day of the Law.
Chant for specific things that you want to see happen, for proof that it works.

DrLang

Re: Shingon resources?

Post by DrLang » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:13 am

pueraeternus wrote:From the biography on the website, it seems Rev Tanaka no longer resides in Vermont and has returned to Japan since the closure of the Mandala Buddhist Center in 1999. It seems he does visit his students in Vermont once a year or so though. But unfortunately this means there isn't a permanent Shingon acharya in the North-East for now.
However, it appears that some of his followers are still active as the blog has been updated in the later half of 2013 and their calendar shows weekly practice sessions. They may be formed as a Daishiko under Rev. Tanaka's guidance. I think it would be worth trying to contact the group. Their practice sessions appear to be more than the typical layperson service.

pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:55 am

DrLang wrote:
pueraeternus wrote:From the biography on the website, it seems Rev Tanaka no longer resides in Vermont and has returned to Japan since the closure of the Mandala Buddhist Center in 1999. It seems he does visit his students in Vermont once a year or so though. But unfortunately this means there isn't a permanent Shingon acharya in the North-East for now.
However, it appears that some of his followers are still active as the blog has been updated in the later half of 2013 and their calendar shows weekly practice sessions. They may be formed as a Daishiko under Rev. Tanaka's guidance. I think it would be worth trying to contact the group. Their practice sessions appear to be more than the typical layperson service.
Interesting - thanks DrLang.

For such a group, do you know to what extent would they be able to share their practices with newcomers? I suppose any new aspirants would still need to eventually meet Rev. Tanaka when he visits?
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher

DrLang

Post by DrLang » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:40 am

pueraeternus wrote:
DrLang wrote:Interesting - thanks DrLang.

For such a group, do you know to what extent would they be able to share their practices with newcomers? I suppose any new aspirants would still need to eventually meet Rev. Tanaka when he visits?
I have no idea. Generally the extent to which an acarya will share esoteric practices seems to vary a lot. It looks like one of the weekly practices may include recitation of the Rishukyo, which is an esoteric text. That is more than I would normally expect.

pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:12 pm

DrLang wrote: I have no idea. Generally the extent to which an acarya will share esoteric practices seems to vary a lot. It looks like one of the weekly practices may include recitation of the Rishukyo, which is an esoteric text. That is more than I would normally expect.
Interesting. Thanks again!
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."

DrLang

Post by DrLang » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:51 am

Speaking of Mandala Vermont, apparently they have an active Facebook page where they keep their events logged.

pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:39 am

DrLang wrote:Speaking of Mandala Vermont, apparently they have an active Facebook page where they keep their events logged.
Interesting notes on that FB page. Thanks for the tip!

ylee111

Re: Pure Land Resources

Post by ylee111 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:51 am

Are there any English books on Yuzu Nembutsu or its founder Ryonin?

rory

Post by rory » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:47 am

No ylee, at best you'll get a couple of pages in a history of Pure Land, like Elisabetta Porcu's "Pure Land Buddhism in Modern Japanese Culture"
gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

tingdzin

Re: Recommended History Readings

Post by tingdzin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:47 am

A caveat: Davidson's book is kind of controversial. He clearly has some axes to grind.

illarraza

Post by illarraza » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:58 am

ylee111 wrote:http://nichiren-shu.org/books.html Of the books listed on this site, which are the best to learn the basic rituals and beliefs?
Set up an altar with a bell, water cup for daily water offering, offering bowl [for fresh fruit offerings usually], vase for fresh flowers or evergreens. a candle holder and candle, and incense burner. Until you print and mount or have bestowed upon you a copy of a scriptured Gohonzon, you may place a statue of Shakyamuni Buddha with a copy of the Lotus Sutra placed before it. Recite Namu Myoho renge kyo daily, usually morning and evening, and recite the Namu Myoho renge kyo before and after, principally the 2nd and 16th chapters of the Lotus Sutra using any Sutra book from any denomination [except the Honmon Butsuryu Shu]. Please forego the sectarian prayers before and after the 2nd and 16th chapters until you feel comfortable with the rituals and the teachings and then you can either adopt the pre and post sutra chanting prayers from whichever sect [except the Nichiren Shoshu and the Soka Gakkai] or create your own based on the Lotus Sutra itself and/or the writings of Nichiren Daishonin. You may chant the 2nd and 16th chapters in Sino-Japanese or english. The reason we do not chant the Daimoku or Namu Myoho renge kyo in English [or any other language] is because it is the proper name for the Law or highest most profound teaching in this age of the Latter Day of the Law. Contact me and I will send you a Sutra book.

illarraza

Nosta

Post by Nosta » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Are there any talks (audio or even video files) in english about Pure Land? Its hard to find on internet.

Thanks.

Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Nosta wrote:Are there any talks (audio or even video files) in english about Pure Land? Its hard to find on internet.

Thanks.
Depends on what tradition you're into.

For Shin:
DharmaRealm Podcast
BrightDawn Podcast
DharmaLantern Podcast
Buddhist Faith Fellowship Podcast
Dharmatalk podcast (look for the one with tracks from Rev Siebur and Rev Patti Nakai)
There are a bunch of Youtube channels, like RevAoki's channel, Jeff Wilson's group in Toronto, and many others associated with the BCA

For Jodo Shu:
Rev Kosen Ishikawa's youtube channel is probably the best source out there.
Rev Joji Atone also has some videos that you can find from his facebook page.

For Chinese Pure Land:
There are hours and hours of talks by Wu Lin, a nun originally from Texas, available through Chin Kung's Amitabha Society website, amtb.org - you may have to do some digging through the links.
Hsuan Hua has audio teachings on Pure Land that you can find on either cttb.org or ymba.org
Dharma Drum's late founder Ven Sheng Yen has hours and hours of Pure Land talks on his youtube channel as well.

For Korean Pure Land:
The Muddy Water Zen podcast has at least one really good track on Pure Land.
Most Seon podcasts & resources will touch on it at some point or another.

For Vietnamese Pure Land:
I believe Thich Naht Hanh will occasionally talk of the Pure Land in his presentations, but he tends to remove about 90% of the traditional elements. There's a temple called "Dharma Flower" out of Arizona that has a website with a ton of free resources.

Sorry, I'd post more links, but I'm using the ipad and not one of my normal computers.

Nosta

Post by Nosta » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Porkchop, thanks a lot!

kcnelson1965

Post by kcnelson1965 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:52 am

I am the Admin for The Nembutsu Buddhist Fellowship on FaceBook. The Purpose of the Nembutsu Fellowship is to facilitate the teachings of Pure Land Buddhism and connect believers in Pure Land Buddhism to each other on a non-sectarian basis. This is a non-sectarian Pure Land Buddhist Page. We are here to promote faith in Amitabha (Amida) Buddha, the Pure Land Sutras and discuss the practices of ALL Pure Land Buddhist schools without discrimination. Our link is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Nembuts ... ellowship/

Greg

Mahāmudrā "canon"

Post by Greg » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Here is a interesting summary of what might possibly be considered "canonical" Indian Mahāmudrā texts, organized by relevance, with helpful notation of any and all existing editions and translations:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/218185148/The ... ary-Sketch

kunle

Re: Great Sakya Books

Post by kunle » Mon May 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Sakya presentation of Buddha Nature by Rongtön (study and partial translation):
http://othes.univie.ac.at/5046/1/2009-04-03_9606624.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rokushu

Post by Rokushu » Thu May 08, 2014 2:35 pm

Why is Japanese superior in chanting the name of the Lotus Sutra? Why didn't Shakyamuni teach this? Did Shakyamuni chant Namu Myoho Renge Kyo? Why not Prakrit, native language of Lord Buddha? Is Japanese better than Sanskrit? So, chanting Namu Myoho Renge Kyo has more power because it is in Japanese? Why? Who can declare this, and by what authority? Just curious, thanks.

Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless » Thu May 08, 2014 3:40 pm

Rokushu wrote:Why is Japanese superior in chanting the name of the Lotus Sutra? Why didn't Shakyamuni teach this? Did Shakyamuni chant Namu Myoho Renge Kyo? Why not Prakrit, native language of Lord Buddha? Is Japanese better than Sanskrit? So, chanting Namu Myoho Renge Kyo has more power because it is in Japanese? Why? Who can declare this, and by what authority? Just curious, thanks.
If you prefer, you can chant it in any other language. I think the Nichiren Shu of Korea chants something else, either Korean or the Korean pronunciation of the characters. Its not actually being chanted in Japanese per se but the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese Characters (the reverent word for this is shindoku, however this is not what it is called by most people in Japan in informal context. Classical Chinese had something like the status of Latin in Europe before a few hundred years ago). I have seen videos of Chinese Nichiren Buddhists chanting it in Chinese, which is Namo Miao Fa Lien Hua Ching. Indeed, given the changes to the Japanese language since Nichiren's time, it is possible Niciren chanted something a bit different.
paedicabo te et irrumabo :guns:

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”