Tibetan Calendar

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
plwk

Re: Tibetan Calendar

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Oooooops, I just noticed that the dakini days are listed! Sorry!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:I'm going to be complete bastard and ask why you haven't included dakini and naga days. :tongue:
I have included Dakini Days (every 25th day) but they aren't broken down in more detail. I forgot about Naga Days and haven't really come across them much in discussions on the Tibetan calendar.

Perhaps you could give me more detailed feedback on what you would like to see. So Naga Days are apparently inauspicious days for raising prayer flags (and perhaps more) - I had planned on adding these (inauspicious days to raise prayer flags) but was too far behind on this version so these will appear in the update coming in a month or so. I looked up Lama Dawa's explanation on prayerflags.com - these seem to be calculated according to the Kalachakra calendar. This could lead to conflicting or numerous lists of inauspicious days between the three calendar systems (or possibly not). So Naga Days may have to be calendar system selectable by the user, which is not a problem. I just need the data. So I will look into this immediately.

Thanks!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

I updated the Tibetan Calendar for the Water Dragon Year adding Naga offering days and showing bad days to raise prayer flags. You can download it from my website. It is still packaged as a zip file for now. I have not been able to find hosting for it just as a JAR file yet. If you don't know how to unzip files, then I can email the calendar to you (but under Mac and Windows you just double-click and should extract it immediately, possibly to a temporary directory - you would then move it to your desktop or wherever you wanted it to reside).

I used multiple sources for the Naga days and prayer flags days. These aggreed with each other except for a few days. When a discrepancy arose I took the more conservative rout. This added a few bad days to raise prayer flags and in three cases turned a good day for a Naga offering into a bad day (this happened once) or a neutral day into a bad day (this happened about twice).

I'll get the Rigpa calendar shortly and see what they say.

So my sources are the Nitartha published calendar for 2012, the "Naga Serpent Spirit Puja Days From Tibetan text kLu Thebs dang Phan Yon bCas bZhugs so" pdf that Greg sent me, and data from Saraswati Bhawan, especially their "Du-Khor Be-kar Naga days according to the astrology of the Kalachakra, which is based on the Yajurved" that Ngodrub sent me.

I still need to add Parinirvana days and birthdays.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dear Kirtu,

I have uploaded the program file to the public folder in my Dropbox account. This format does not require extraction. All one needs to do is download from here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9844773/TibetanCalendar2139.jar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and then run the program.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Now that is cool!

It actually shows the degree of benefit to nagas.
Now can you post a legend? I assume a white box
without dots means a neutral day and a black box
is a "dok" -- inauspicious.

Also I assume that red "x" means "badens"--
inauspicious for prayer flags.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote: I have uploaded the program file to the public folder in my Dropbox account. This format does not require extraction. All one needs to do is download from here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9844773/TibetanCalendar2139.jar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and then run the program.
Thanks Greg!

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

ngodrup wrote:Now that is cool!
Thanks!
It actually shows the degree of benefit to nagas.
Now can you post a legend?
Yes, white box is neutral, black is dok, red X is baden.

Mouse over the icon and the explainatory tool top will show.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

One small glitch.

Since you added the naga and prayer flag days it caused the existing text in the calender to move down three lines (to accomodate the new text and boxes) BUT the window size remained the same.

This means that the text at the bottom of the window is cut off without the possibility for the user to change the window size or scroll down, thus the text cannot be read.

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:One small glitch.

Since you added the naga and prayer flag days it caused the existing text in the calender to move down three lines (to accomodate the new text and boxes) BUT the window size remained the same.

This means that the text at the bottom of the window is cut off without the possibility for the user to change the window size or scroll down, thus the text cannot be read.
Thanks! I thought I had fixed that. Could you please take a screenshot and email it to me? Does it happen on every day, or most days or a handful of days. What kind of a machine are you running it on?

Java is not very precise about the placement of components from machine configuration to machine configuration. I was very disappointed with a first view on a Windows machine last year although it was perfect on my Linux machine and I was not able to test it on a Windows or Mac machine this year.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

kirtu wrote:Thanks! I thought I had fixed that. Could you please take a screenshot and email it to me? Does it happen on every day, or most days or a handful of days. What kind of a machine are you running it on?

Java is not very precise about the placement of components from machine configuration to machine configuration. I was very disappointed with a first view on a Windows machine last year although it was perfect on my Linux machine and I was not able to test it on a Windows or Mac machine this year.
I'll be glad to, once you tel me how to take a screen shot on windows vista. :emb:

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:
kirtu wrote:Thanks! I thought I had fixed that. Could you please take a screenshot and email it to me? Does it happen on every day, or most days or a handful of days. What kind of a machine are you running it on?

I'll be glad to, once you tel me how to take a screen shot on windows vista. :emb:
Thanks Greg - I'll have to check (because Vista is pretty different from other versions of Windows but the standard method is to get the image on the screen and press the SHIFT and PrtScr keys at the same time - these will vary from keyboard to keyboard (well, PrtScr will) - but I also need to check that that is true for European and/or Aussie keyboards.

This will not obviously work but if it does work then the screen shot is in computer memory. So open Paint or graphics software and import the image using the Paste command (on most software under an Edit option).

The Vista documentation says just hit the PrtScr key for the whole window or Alt-PrtScn for the active window. So you may not need to use the Shift key at all.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I slapped together a pocket calendar for people to print out. I didn't include Naga days since there can be more than one auspicious Naga day per month. Just basic practice days for the rest of 2012.
Just right click on the image and "save" or "print".

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dear Kirtu,
I have a reported problem from a windows 7 user, their PC comes up with a "windows cannot open this program" message whenever they try to run the .jar

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:Dear Kirtu,
I have a reported problem from a windows 7 user, their PC comes up with a "windows cannot open this program" message whenever they try to run the .jar
There are a handful of possibilities but they all come down to the Java runtime not installed on the machine or not being installed correctly or possibly prohibited from running due to the machine being locked down for security reasons.

This link is a brief solution. So probably I will need to just write a native Windows solution but actually my version of Visual Studio and C# is the 2003 version and I am now not sure that it will run on all Windows machines because .Net has been significantly updated and may not be totally backward compatible. I will look into this.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Tibetan Calendar I am supporting lists May 6 rather than May 5 as the full moon day. This is because I took the full moon dates from the NASA moon almanac although I also took as much data as possible from other Tibetan calendar sources.

NASA lists today's full moon as occurring at May 6 at 3:35 am GMT. I just took the date without thinking about it since that would be 11:35 pm 5 May.

I am looking for other possible errors and am verifying the calendar with other sources.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

I have the Rigpa calendar and am going through it now. So far everything matches up. At first it appeared that there were no Naga days but Rigpa does have the major Naga days and this confirms May 26 as a Naga day. I will also pay attention to the other notations. Additionally I will have to add location specific lunar phases shortly in order to avoid lunar phase problems.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

practitioner

Post by practitioner »

The 10th day of Saga Dawa is skipped this year so the Rigpa calendar put Guru Rinpoche on the 11th day. Is this the general rule for practice days that are skipped? What about when practice day is doubled? Thanks
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

practitioner wrote:The 10th day of Saga Dawa is skipped this year so the Rigpa calendar put Guru Rinpoche on the 11th day. Is this the general rule for practice days that are skipped? What about when practice day is doubled? Thanks
The Rigpa calendar for 2139 on page 11 says:
According the the Men Tsee Khang, the Tibetan Medical and Astrological Institute, if a day is missing, then any auspicious event for that day will fall on the next day. However, some do celebrate on the day before.

If a day is doubled, then any anniversary or special event will fall on the first day.
Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Special Days

Post by kirtu »

Chokhur Duchen, the observation of the First Turning of the Wheel, falls on Monday, 23 July 2012 this year! Merit is multiplied 10 M times (or 100 M times in some sources)! A really good day to accumulate merit.
shakyamuni_200.jpg
shakyamuni_200.jpg (55.01 KiB) Viewed 19990 times
OM MUNI MUNI MAHAMUNI SHAKYAMUNAYE SOHA!

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”