Tibetan Calendar

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
bunny

Re: Tibetan Calendar

Post by bunny »

Thank you all for posting links to calendars (I just looked at first page as I am starting to run late). I noticed a link to a google calendar, is there a way to get a google calendar or a calendar so that I can import it to my google calendar? This way I can access the calendar on my phone, tablet and PC.

Once again apologies for not going through the thread and if this has already been posted, please say so. I will look through the thread more closely this afternoon, I just didn't want to forget what I wanted to write.

Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Hi, okay now am back home I got a wee chance to look through the thread and got the calendar downloaded :) thanks kirt for taking the time to provide this. It is appreciated :)

Also sorry for double posting, the option to edit the first post wasn't available to me.

Edit: Is there somewhere I can go that explains the "Naga" etc days.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

bunny wrote: Edit: Is there somewhere I can go that explains the "Naga" etc days.
Hello Bunny -

Greg asked me to include Naga Days in the calendar I'm supporting and then sent a pdf document to facilitate that as well as a url to a site following Lama Dawa explaining Naga Days. It turned out that there is some slight inconsistency between the two texts and I have not had time to clarify the couple of issues (from memory I took the union of the two or three documents I had wrt Naga Days.
Nagas are water elemental beings that play a prominent role in all Buddhist schools and are venerated throughout Asia. Making offerings to the Nagas on the astrological days that are associated with their activity, can play an important role in establishing harmony and balance in the environment, as well as cure many kinds of diseases. Practitioners who regularly make offerings to the Nagas and turn them into their allies are often benefitted by ensuring one's prosperity. Many Buddhist Dharma protectors are Nagas and play an important role in the establishment and continuity of the Dharma.
Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Special Days

Post by kirtu »

As it turns out, 6 Nov., Election Day in the US, is the last major Tibetan Buddhist holy day in this calendar year. This would be the Descent from Heaven Day.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

That's Wednesday November 7th for us European dwellers.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:That's Wednesday November 7th for us European dwellers.
That's right. The moonphase begins on the US East Coast at 7:36 pm. When I have asked my lamas they said that one can just take the whole calendar day that the phase occurs on or one can take both days or can observe the lunar time.

But in Western Europe the moonphase is 1:36 am 7 Nov.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

You know, when they started doing things by the moon phases conversations probably went something like:

"When do we do the fire puja? Is it tonight?"
"Well tonight or tomorrow it's kinda close either way"
"U srs? Which is it?"
"Well the moon was a pretty thin crescent last night so I guess tonight is fine."
"What you're not sure?"
"How can I be sure? The only way to be positive is to get up in the morning and see if the moon rises on the other side of the sun. By then its too late."
"There has to be a better way than this."
"Look, get out a calendar. Count off 28 days from the last puja and we'll use that"
"What if it's off a day?"
"Then we'll correct the date by a day and use that until it needs correction again."
"But won't we need correction about every fourth month? Do you want to do a quarter of your pujas on the wrong day?"
"There is no wrong day to do a puja. If you're that worried you can do an extra one the day before"
"How do we know when it's the day before?"
"Simple. Count off 27 days from the last puja."
"Well I suppose it would work..."
"OK you happy now, Mr Rocket Science Man?"
"Actually no."
(Student receives a whistling crack on the head from the master's staff)
"Pardon me I meant to say yes. I'm a very happy monk yupyup."
"Great. Go get us some firewood, we're gonna need some in any event."
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

:jumping: - hahahaha!

Well the intention is that it is the 1/2 moon. And when that actually occurs is at a different time all around the globe because of our time zones even though it occurs at the exact same time in the Earth-Moon-Sun system. This was always true and would not have been a noticeable issue near India. However the Kalmyks for example would have definitely seen it way off on the shores of the Caspian Sea. For that matter, Atisha probably noticed it during his studies in Indonesia.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

plwk

Post by plwk »

Happy Lha Bab Duchen :namaste:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

kirtu wrote::jumping: - hahahaha!

Well the intention is that it is the 1/2 moon. And when that actually occurs is at a different time all around the globe because of our time zones even though it occurs at the exact same time in the Earth-Moon-Sun system. This was always true and would not have been a noticeable issue near India. However the Kalmyks for example would have definitely seen it way off on the shores of the Caspian Sea. For that matter, Atisha probably noticed it during his studies in Indonesia.

Kirt
You can go out and watch the moon if you like, but I'll bet a bunch of bananas you can't tell me the exact moment of half phase without modern resources. Hey, I'll even allow you a half hour's error.

-Catmoon
Past President
Maple Ridge Amateur Astronomer's Society
Skydancer

Post by Skydancer »

Today (Nov. 6. 2012) we celebrate Lhabab Duchen — Shakyamuni Buddha's descent from heaven. Buddha's mother, Mayadevi, was reborn in Indra's heaven. To repay her kindness, to liberate her, and also to benefit the gods, Buddha spent three months teaching in the heaven realm. When it came time for him to return to this world, Indra and Brahma manifested a triple staircase of 80,000 steps, and Buddha returned to this world on the twenty-second day of the ninth Tibetan month.

Today, the effects of positive, as well as negative, actions and thoughts are multiplied ten million times.
Pero

Post by Pero »

So what's the astrological significance of this day?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Post by Pero »

Pero wrote:So what's the astrological significance of this day?
No one knows or there isn't one?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

No idea here. Nope, not a clue.
heike

Post by heike »

hi, just found this thread here while searching for a tibetan buddhist online calendar. is there a chance for a 2013 edition?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

heike wrote:hi, just found this thread here while searching for a tibetan buddhist online calendar. is there a chance for a 2013 edition?
Hello Heike - I will be putting out a version of the Tibetan calendar for the upcoming Water Snake year 2013-2014. I'm certain that others will also put out versions as well. So I'm certain that there will be several versions available shortly before or shortly after Losar on 11 February.

In addition, Rigpa and Namse Bangdzo have calendars available now.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I'm eagerly looking forward to your new electronic calender Kirt, it's been a great support to my practice!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:I'm eagerly looking forward to your new electronic calender Kirt, it's been a great support to my practice!
Thamks Greg! Any suggestions for the upcoming version would be greatly appreciated.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Tibetan Calendar?? So...Is there anything special on that calendar for the 21/12? Are they expecting the end of the world? :D
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Nosta wrote:Tibetan Calendar?? So...Is there anything special on that calendar for the 21/12? Are they expecting the end of the world? :D
It's the 9th day of the 11th month. As it is the 9th day, it's a dharmapala day. So get out the black tea, wine, cookies and curl up to your favorite protector prayers or perhaps do Medicine Buddha practice to invoke the Yasha protectors or practice Vajrakilaya.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”