Tibetan Calendar

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Special Days

Post by kirtu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:21 pm

This Wednesday, 28 April (3-15 on the Tibetan calendar), is the next Full Moon - Amitabha Day. Merit (and demerit) is multiplied 100 times.
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 am

kirtu wrote:This Wednesday, 28 April (3-15 on the Tibetan calendar), is the next Full Moon - Amitabha Day. Merit (and demerit) is multiplied 100 times.
Thanks Kirtu :)

Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Tibetan Calendar

Post by Ngawang Drolma » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi all,

Here is a Tibetan Buddhism calendar: Click here

I hope that you find it useful.

Kindly,
Laura

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Fri May 28, 2010 3:36 am

Saka Dawa 2010 was today, 27 May.
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:44 pm

June 26, this coming Saturday, is Amitabha Day and on our calendar is a 100x multiplying day. However it's also a lunar eclipse (somewhere in the world) so it's a 1000x multiplying day.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:13 pm

We're celebrating the birthday of His Holiness Gyalwa Karmapa Orgyen Tinley Dorje on the 26th---if anyone's in the SF Bay Area, come by the Berkeley Marina between 10-3.....we'll be doing Riwo Sangcho at 10, and it's a special day for practice as noted above!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

tktru

Post by tktru » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:33 am

The nineteenth lunar day of this month (or July 30) is the day of Avalokitesvara's Renunciation. Its a good day to reflect on oneself, so be mindful!

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:03 pm

This Sunday, 14 November is the monthly Tibetan calendar Medicine Buddha day (10th month 8th day). Merit is multiplied 100 times.
Tuesday November 16 is Guru Rinpoche Day - (10th month 10th day)
Sunday Novermber 21 is Amitabha Day (10th month 15th day). Merit is multiplied 100 times.
Tuesday November 30 is Dakini Day (10th month 24th day)
Sunday December 5 is Shakyamuni Buddha Day (10th month 30th day). Merit is multiplied 100 times.
Friday December 10 is Dakini Day (minor) (11a* month 5th day)
Monday December 13 is Medicine Buddha Day (11a month 8th day). Merit is multiplied 100 times.
Wednesday December 15 and Thursday December 16 is Guru Rinpoche Day (11a month 10th day - there are two 10th days).
Tuesday December 21 is Amitabha Day (11a month 15th day). Merit is multiplied 1000 times because of a lunar eclipse.
Thursday December 30 is Dakini Day (11a month 25th day).

and that ends 2010.
-----------------
During this Tibetan year there are two 11th months

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Re: Tibetan Calendar

Post by Ngawang Drolma » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:26 pm

bump

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:20 am

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Hi all,

Here is a Tibetan Buddhism calendar: Click here

I hope that you find it useful.

Kindly,
Laura
Tashi delek Laura, :)

Thanks for your link about a Tibetan Dharma Calendar.

But maybe could i add this link too?
http://home.valornet.com/overbeck/tibet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes for our auspicious days

Mutsog Marro
Kalden Yungdrung
The best meditation is no meditation

Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:36 pm

kalden yungdrung wrote:

http://home.valornet.com/overbeck/tibet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mutsog Marro
Kalden Yungdrung
I love this one, I always used it until I got a Mac. I can't find a mac version to download anywhere. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be most grateful!

Best,
Laura

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:11 am

The special practice days according to the Tibetan calendar beginning from the end of the 11a month and all of the 11b month (the 11th month is doubled this Tibetan year):

Months 11a and 11b in 2137 Year of the Metal Tiger
Dharmapala Days:
3 January 2011 (11a 29 2137)
13 January - 11b 9
23 January - 11b 19
1 February - 11b 29

4 January, 2011 - 11a 30 New Moon - Shakyamuni Buddha Day merit is multiplied 10,000 times because of a solar eclipse
5 January, 2011 - 11b month begins
9 January - 11b 5 - Dakini Day
12 January - 11b 8 - Medicine Buddha Day - merit is multiplied 100 times
14 January - 11b 10 - Guru Rinpoche Day
19 January - 11b 15 - Full Moon - Amitabha Day merit is multiplied 100 times
28 January - 11b 25 - Dakini Day
2 February - 11b 30 - New Moon - Shakyamuni Buddha Day merit is multiplied 100 times

Losar begins Saturday 5 March, 2011 - 1 1 2138 - Metal Rabbit Year

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:26 pm

Ngawang Drolma wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:

Mutsog Marro
Kalden Yungdrung
I love this one, I always used it until I got a Mac. I can't find a mac version to download anywhere. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be most grateful!

Best,
Laura
We could easily write a Java version (which will run on all machines) and give it to Buz.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

zerwe

Post by zerwe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:44 am

Laura, there is a 2011 Tibetan Astrological Calendar available through Itunes as an app. A large portion of the proceeds go to support the Liberation Prison Project one of FPMT's many charitable projects.
Shaun :anjali:

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Tomorrow, Friday 18 Feb, is the full moon and is the last Amitabha Day in the current Iron Tiger (2010-2011) year. Merit and demerit is said to be multiplied 100 times.

Any practice is great but especially Shakyamuni Buddha or Medicine Buddha or Prostrations to the 35 Buddhas or Amitabha practice.

Iron Rabbit Losar begins on 5 March.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

gnegirl

Post by gnegirl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Anyone know if Buz Overbeck will be putting out a version for the Iron Bunny year?
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?

gnegirl

Post by gnegirl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 pm

I just found out from Buz Overbeck's relative that he passed away, so the E-calendar is off for now. However, as I happen to be a software engineer, i just volunteered to help put out a new one.

I know nothing about the astrology system however.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?

Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks all :)

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:36 pm

gnegirl wrote:I just found out from Buz Overbeck's relative that he passed away,
May Buz be reborn in the Pure Lands! His calendar was invaluable and now we will have to take up the slack.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

gnegirl

Post by gnegirl » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Update on the calendar:

I wrote:
I happen to be a software engineer.... <snip>

Do you need any help?
And they replied:
Thanks for the offer, but I think this other person is going to try and continue it, but it may be a few months before it is ready.
So check in a few months and see if anything happens....

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”