Purification practices and repeating negative actions on daily basis

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
khemmis

Purification practices and repeating negative actions on daily basis

Post by khemmis » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:06 pm

Hello!

During many purification practices we are making confessions and sincerely aspire to not repeat negative actions. Since my job is connected with some negative actions I'm kinda stuck with them from monday to friday. Of course I could quit my job - it would be very hard in my life situation but still.. everything is possible. I'm committed to change this situation in the next few months but until then... should I quit purification practices and focus on something else? Right now I'm without teacher and I love to practice The Sutra of Three Heaps but I'm afraid that continuing this practice without full dedication to stop at least those voluntarily negative actions can be even more harmful for me.

Thanks for any input.

madhusudan

Re: Purification practices and repeating negative actions on daily basis

Post by madhusudan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:00 pm

I'll reply because I've dealt with a similar issue, though not work related. But, the issue of continuing negative actions while performing purification is something that I am familiar with. My own decision was to continue with the purification while making every effort to reform bad behavior. Like you, I considered stopping my practices until I had abandoned my negative actions, but ultimately decided that the process is supposed to effect those results. If I wait until the result appears, I'll never begin the process. Life's short and could end at any moment unexpectedly.

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:09 pm

khemmis wrote:Hello!

During many purification practices we are making confessions and sincerely aspire to not repeat negative actions. Since my job is connected with some negative actions I'm kinda stuck with them from monday to friday. Of course I could quit my job - it would be very hard in my life situation but still.. everything is possible. I'm committed to change this situation in the next few months but until then... should I quit purification practices and focus on something else? Right now I'm without teacher and I love to practice The Sutra of Three Heaps but I'm afraid that continuing this practice without full dedication to stop at least those voluntarily negative actions can be even more harmful for me.

Thanks for any input.
Purification is always useful even if you cannot reform your negative actions.

Why? Through purification you can purify eons worth of negative karma, much more than you create in just one day

Also, if you do negativities and come home and purify, the karma from them stops increasing, whereas it increases if not purified.

Therefore, persist!

Kevin

muni

Post by muni » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:40 am

khemmis wrote:Hello!

Thanks for any input.
It seems while doing your job you have not the intention: I will harm and by that practice the Sutra. You have not the intention to rejoice in the harm and you do not lack regret. You are concerned about the job. This I think is right now important. Do not feel guilty, this is actually not the same as regret. Pray for the welfare of all, that all may realize their nature and by that be freed from any suffering and harm. If you can find a compassionate teacher, a spiritual friend, you will be well supported to put your practice for the welfare of all in action.
Phenomena adorn emptiness, but never corrupt it.

Only if you have developed the love and compassion of relative bodhichitta can absolute bodhichitta – the very essence of the Great Perfection and the Great Seal – ever take birth in your being. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

khemmis

Post by khemmis » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:31 pm

madhusudan, Virgo, muni, thank for your answers! Still, I am a little stressed out to performs a vows in front of the Buddhas knowing for sure that I will repeat same negative actions because they are part of my job. But I did resumed my practice and hopefully soon this situation will change. Thanks again!

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:50 pm

khemmis wrote:madhusudan, Virgo, muni, thank for your answers! Still, I am a little stressed out to performs a vows in front of the Buddhas knowing for sure that I will repeat same negative actions because they are part of my job. But I did resumed my practice and hopefully soon this situation will change. Thanks again!
maybe it is time to ask the Buddhas for a job that is better suited to your aspirations and your ethics?

Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:59 pm

Hello Khemmis,

I wouldn't stop engaging in purification practices because they purify negative actions created over countless aeons. It seems even more important if your job involves creating negative actions. Perhaps you could promise not to perform your daytime negative actions at night? There was once a butcher who was also a practitioner and Buddha's disciple Kashyapa advised him to promise not to commit actions of killing at night. He made this promise and received great benefit, so perhaps you could do something similar? Another alternative is that you can promise not to perform these actions for short periods of time; it will be extremely beneficial if you can keep these promises.

As DGA said, perhaps it's time to look at another form of livelihood that doesn't involve creating negative karma If you can.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:34 am

The fourth of the four opponent powers, which are the mechanism of buddhist repentance and purification practices, is an vow to not repeat the action. Lama Zopa has often suggested that we should make the vow like, i won't do this negative action for one week, one day, one hour, etc. This slowly builds the habit. and fulfills the fourth part of the purification.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”