What is the location of the mind

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Supramundane

Re: What is the location of the mind

Post by Supramundane »

Metta bro
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

i must insist on this: is mind an object?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
muni

Post by muni »

No it isn’t. When discovered how mind is, there is not so much to say or prove about anymore by the words of others, which we use in our study.
Practice, for me Buddhism/live is the possibility to practice in order to stop losing into grasping, to 'see' there is nothing to grasp. (Then Bodhichitta probably 'shines'.)

The mind is not an owner, is not having an owner. (which can be clear for example in samadhi...)

Metta :namaste:
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

The mind does not gave an owner, muni? What do you mean?
muni

Post by muni »

Supramundane wrote:The mind does not gave an owner, muni? What do you mean?
Hello Supramundane,
We use to say my mind, your mind. The mind has no owner, as since mind is no object there is no subject ( owner) neither. Object-subject are arising out of our confusion, which is making this split. And by this we cling/grasp/crave =suffering. While suffering itself can be a sign for us, to use solutions ( Dharma) to come out of it.
When we are focussed on thoughts / dragged away by them, then there is solidification of an outside world ( object) apart from us ( subject). We are then hoping this outerworld is fitting 'our' desires so that there are no undesirable experiences.
Often the breath is used in guidance and instead of focussing on thoughts, there is focus on breath, which focus is then much easier to let go and relax. Then there is no location.

Our breath is a good example of our interconnectedness or interdependence-emptiness, when we inhale we cannot say: see here is my air-this air is mine, or when we exhale it cannot be found back as mine or yours. No location neither.
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

Excellent response, M. I have read it and re-read it. It puts my new original question into a new context.
Often times we ask false questions without realizing it; in light of your latest comment, perhaps my original question about the location of the mind was a false question: if we don't own the mind, then how can we speak of its location?

Thank you
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

i think a lot of time we are preoccupied with false questions. dead-end thinking. if for example we think the Earth is flat, we may spend time contemplating what is on the other side, etc. But all that time, all that intellection is in vain, if the premise or the paradigm is incorrect.

Western philosophy has been preoccupied for many years with the question of 'who am i' without making any headway; perhaps it is a false question: if we don't own our minds, the real question is not 'who are I', but 'who are we'.

we are not an "I".... we are in fact only the dot on the 'i': a part of the whole.

perhaps i should confine my contributions to dharmawheel to questions from now on.... it seems to be the right way. Arguing and laying down quotes, citations, 'facts', etc. only leads to arguments and whatever i write, people interpret it as they wish. however, a question is a dynamic form of interaction that shifts the other party's perception to a new way of thinking.

i am questioning myself now...
muni

Post by muni »

Supramundane wrote: perhaps i should confine my contributions to dharmawheel to questions from now on.... it seems to be the right way. Arguing and laying down quotes, citations, 'facts', etc. only leads to arguments and whatever i write, people interpret it as they wish. however, a question is a dynamic form of interaction that shifts the other party's perception to a new way of thinking.

i am questioning myself now...
In contrast to be there ‘no location as Nature’; what we think we are /with what we associate, seems to come from all different planets.
And since we do not understand each other due to that, we shoot apprehensions from our planet to another, in order to prove us and sometimes as well to prove the other is wrong. Perhaps these interactions are somehow good to practice patience, or the four immeasurable but engaging in discussions can also be the cause of the continuation of grasping habits and even increase them. I do not think we can purify our perception in order to understand the meaning of Buddha, without seeing own misperception and so investigate in how is own mind and erase there the mistakes, to erase our suffering. And perhaps share what causes us suffering, so that others can avoid it by Dharma?
In any case when misperception is gone, there is nothing “ being in a location”.

Maybe we can think we go to communicate on a forum with like-minded people where we can talk harmoniously and inspire each other. But we all can forget then that all have different karmic baggage and received all different curing medicines, in order to free from suffering.

To me “what is the location of the mind” looked like a pointing or maybe a koan, ( Zen friends can correct me). If it was so, the title only, it possible requires no answer and was a pointing on itself, with a speechlessness as result.
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

you're right!

i didn't mean this to be a Koan when i first wrote it, but now i realize it is one.
thx

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”