Help on where to start...

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
SynapticKaos

Help on where to start...

Post by SynapticKaos »

So, years ago I dabbled in Buddhism, without putting much serious effort or discipline into it. I strayed away searching for an easy way to do things, failing of course. I have adhd, addiction issues, and live in an area that has no Buddhism resources. I have no preference for any particular path, other than finding something that is engaging enough that I can keep with it, with the distraction and concentration issues I suffer from. Help!!
Fortyeightvows

Re: Help on where to start...

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Lam Rim all the way!! :yinyang:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hi

You may find interest and benefit in the work of buddhist teacher B. Alan Wallace, specially his
Book "The Attention Revolution".

However hard the challenge may (or may not!) be given your condition: Keep faith in the fact the mind, and therefore the brain are plastic and trainable. Actions do infallibly produce results. Patience, enthusiasm and confidence in the teachings are of course a must !

Whishing you the very best
Marc
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Welcome to DW, and best wishes for your search for a path.
My advice would be to find real-world people close enough to you that you can meet regularly. They will help to stabilise your practice, in ways that no books or online teaching can match.
If that's impossible - or just too challenging at this point - there are plenty of books which might help. The one which comes to mind first is HHDL's The Art of Happiness. This sub-forum will introduce you to many more - http://dharmawheel.net/viewforum.php?f=97.

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”